Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Providing power

Good morning folks,

I need some guidance, I just weathered hurricane Zeta. The campground does not have power, I ha e a 50 amp to 110 and would like to hook them up to my coach. There are two plugs in the bay where the aquahot is.

Does anyone know what is plugged into these outlets.

Thanks

Suzzanne
2014 Cornerstone
2015 Jeep Cherokee
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #2

More info?

I am having trouble understanding what you want to do.
What do you want to plug in? It is apparently a 50 amp 240 volt device.
Presumably you want to plug something into a 110 volt outlet in your motor coach basement.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #3

Hi Suzzanne, glad you are ok. Not sure we understand exactly what you are asking? Do you have access to some external power? Are you running off of generator. Why are you working with 50-120 plugs in basement?

Apologize for not understanding, probably me. Thought I would ask though in case it could help clarify your situation and get you some good answers.

Thanks
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesha View Post
Good morning folks,

I need some guidance, I just weathered hurricane Zeta. The campground does not have power, I ha e a 50 amp to 110 and would like to hook them up to my coach. There are two plugs in the bay where the aquahot is.

Thanks

Suzzanne
2014 Cornerstone
2015 Jeep Cherokee
Most often you have ONE 110vac/15 amp duplex outlet in the aqua hot bay. This is where your built-in house vacuum unit is usually plugged in.

Be advised that the TOTAL capacity of this outlet box is 15 amperes @ 110 volts ac. There are no 50 amp outlets available anywhere on the coach, you would have to have a professional electrician rewire the generator output to a special 4-wire 250vac oultet...typically a 14-50r.

The best you could do without getting all tangled up is run a 15-20 amp heavy-duty extension cord to them, limiting the total load to 15 amps or less.......about a single desk fan or lamp.....
Sorry!
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Good morning folks,

Thanks

Suzzanne
2014 Cornerstone
2015 Jeep Cherokee
Do I correctly understand this as you wanting to provide power to a campground via your coach generator? The rest is unclear to me but that's never stopped me before...

DO NOT use any adapter, cheater cord, etc to connect an outlet on your coach to the campground's power pedestal. It's a violation of electrical Code and it creates a potentially lethal situation for power company workers trying to restore service.

If the CG needs power in the office (for example) they can run an extension cord from any outlet in your basement - the block heater outlet in the engine compartment, an outlet for outdoor TV or kitchen... and they can plug in their computer and a few lights. They will be limited to a long term current draw of about 13 amps for a 15 amp circuit.

Post again with more details and we might be able to assist further.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have 50 amp plug and goes down to a 15 amp, it is similar to a 50 amp to a 30 amp, so if a campground only had 30 amp service I would use a 50 amp plug to a 30 amp plug and would be able to plug my coach into 30 amp.

I found the outlet where the vacuum was plugged into and connected their camper in long enough for them to switch the fridge to propane.
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
I have 50 amp plug and goes down to a 15 amp, it is similar to a 50 amp to a 30 amp, so if a campground only had 30 amp service I would use a 50 amp plug to a 30 amp plug and would be able to plug my coach into 30 amp.

I found the outlet where the vacuum was plugged into and connected their camper in long enough for them to switch the fridge to propane.
Hi Suzzanne-

Okay, you provided power to a fellow camper. Very nice of you! I didn't 'get that' from the first post, sorry.

If you're talking about using your various adapters to help another camper get power to their RV for minimal use, sure thing.

The reason for my earlier advice was: I've seen a coach owner "back feed" power into a campground electrical system. That's a bad thing and from the initial post it wasn't clear that you were only accommodating a neighbor.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #8

Ok, you want to connect another RV 50 amp 240 volt cord to your RV via a 15 amp 120 volt outlet in your basement compartment.

It sounds like you have already done that and found it works OK. To be clear, that should work OK.

If RV number #2 draws too much power, a circuit breaker in #RV 1 will trip and protect RV #1 wiring. If that happens, simply reduce RV #2 power consumption and reset the breaker.

Most of the time, this arrangement can be used to charge RV#2 batteries as well.

Using a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter that has two 15 amp plugs and plugging both into two outlets in RV #1 will probably work as well. It probably will not increase the power available to RV #2 unless the two 15 amp outlets are on different circuit breakers in RV #1.

Thank you for helping others!

I wish you good luck and quick recovery from the disaster.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
All that will happen is the circuit breaker on the generator will trip if overloaded. After Hurricane Charlie, I ran my refrigerators and freezer and a neighbor's refrigerator and garage freezer plus the MH with all AC's running. A couple of times if too many units were running at the same time, the circuit breaker would trip. Did this for 7 days, the generator never had a problem and this was a smaller 7500.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
O

Using a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter that has two 15 amp plugs and plugging both into two outlets in RV #1 will probably work as well. It probably will not increase the power available to RV #2 unless the two 15 amp outlets are on different circuit breakers in RV #1.

Thank you for helping others!

I wish you good luck and quick recovery from the disaster.
Trying to plug into 2 different 15A 110V outlets on different circuits will trip the gfi plugs or breakers. If you are plugin both into two different outlets that are on the same 15A circuit it will not trip the gfi but you will only still be getting a max of 15 amps for the other camper. In doing this the load on each plug would be less so the chance of burning up the plug would be less.

Tags
power