Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVsCoach View Post
Eddie, just forwarded an article by Mark Quasius on air system checks. Our 14 Anthem air system performs exactly per the article. Hopefully his article can clear things up. Jack
I got it! (I'm a little new to this, so it took me a minute)

Thank you! and yes great article.
CousinEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
DeeGee, the jack stand comment puzzles me too. Maybe just to make legal happy.

Eddie, the other point is that Spartan wants you to lower the air pressure to below ~70 and then air up before beginning the tests. I am wondering if there is a valve sequence that needs to initialize first.

Anyone have a link to Mark Q's article please post.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #17

Frankly, the jack stands instruction isn't a bad idea. While most of us would assume that pulling the lanyards would involve using the awning pull rod, that tool is not provided by Spartan, and as such cannot be assumed by Spartan.

I’m sure this procedure applies to more than one application, and the only reasonable guidance is to protect the end user.

IMHO, it is a rare day when performing one PM task doesn’t lead to something else, and when dealing with chassis issues safety is paramount.

Beyond simple jack stands, they need to be appropriate for the application.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #18

I have seen the set of instructions that MoHoGo (Jim) just published as camera images. That is good, but I wanted a pdf version of a WORD version, so I retyped the whole thing. I made a couple of editorial changes (always an editor....) like adding bolding in a couple of places, but I have proofed it once and am pretty sure that it is exact.

Here is a link to the pdf version.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I have seen the set of instructions that MoHoGo just published as camera images. That is good, but I wanted a pdf version of a WORD version, so I retyped the whole thing. I made a couple of editorial changes (always an editor....) like adding bolding in a couple of places, but I have proofed it once and am pretty sure that it is exact.

Here is a link to the pdf version.

Gary
Thanks Gary. I had the procedure, but this retyped version is a great help.
Jim
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
DeeGee, the jack stand comment puzzles me too. Maybe just to make legal happy.

Eddie, the other point is that Spartan wants you to lower the air pressure to below ~70 and then air up before beginning the tests. I am wondering if there is a valve sequence that needs to initialize first.

Anyone have a link to Mark Q's article please post.

Hello, I don’t have a link but this is the article by Mark Quasius:

Air system checks

The gauges are probably labeled front and rear but that's not the air bags (suspension). Those are the front brakes (secondary system) and rear brakes (primary system).

If your examiner asks about the correct draining procedure you might want to be familiar with the following, which will be part of an upcoming article in Family Motor Coaching magazine:

Most coaches are equipped with lanyards to operate the manual air tank drain valves. Generally these are located inside a wheel well but exceptions exist so check your manual for the exact location of the lanyards or valves on your particular coach. Modern coaches will be equipped with an air dryer that provides clean, dry air to the system so you may feel the need for manually draining the air tanks is an exercise in futility but that is not the case. If the air tanks are drained in the correct procedure it serves as a diagnostic tool to check the integrity of your air system. First of all, if your air dryer is functioning correctly you will see little or no moisture being ejected from the air tanks when you pull the lanyard. Secondly, by using the following procedure you will be able to verify that your various check valves are operating correctly:

1)*Make sure both air gauges are reading 70 PSI or less. If the gauges read higher bleed the system down by pumping the brake pedal until the gauges read 70 PSI or less.
2)*Start the engine and run at high idle (1200 RPM or higher) until air dryer purges in the back of the coach.
3)*Never reach your arm into a wheel well or crawl beneath the coach when you drain the air tanks. If you can’t safely reach the lanyards with your*awning*hook use some way, such as jack stands, to support the vehicle.
4)*Turn the key to the “off” to stop the engine. Then turn the key back to the “on” position so that the gauges will function. Do not start the engine.
5)*Locate your lanyard or petcock locations. There should be three of them, one to each tank although some tanks are split into two separate compartments so there may be two drain valves on one tank.
6)*Drain the air completely from the wet tank. This should be identified by a clear or gray lanyard cable.
7)*Go into the unit and check the gauges. They should not read zero. This will ensure that the check valve between the primary and wet tank is functioning properly.
8)*Next drain the primary tank completely. This should be identified by a green lanyard cable.
9)*Check the air pressure gauges once again. The rear gauge (primary system) should be reading zero and the front gauge (secondary system) should not be reading zero. This will ensure that the check valve between the primary and secondary tank is functioning properly.
10)*If either of these valves is not functioning as they should, take the coach to a service center to have these valves cleaned or replaced.
11)*Now drain the secondary tank completely. This should be identified by a red lanyard cable.
12)*Check the gauges again. Both gauges should now read zero.
13)*If significant moisture was found when draining the tanks it’s time to have the air dryer serviced.
14)*Make sure that all of the petcocks or drain valves are closed and restart the engine. Run at a fast idle until the air dryer purges. The system should now be ready for operation and both gauges should read somewhere around 110 PSI.

Your air system is equipped with a low air pressure alarm system set to actuate at a minimum of 60 PSI, which is when the spring brakes will apply. Once the air pressure drops to 20 PSI the yellow push-pull valve will also pop out. You can test these systems in the following manner:

1)*Turn the ignition key to the “on” position to enable the air pressure gauges and low air alarm system. Do not start the engine.
2)*Place your foot on the service brake and release the parking brake.
3)*Pump the brake pedal and monitor the air pressure gauges. Once the air pressure drops to no lower than 60 PSI the low air pressure alarm should sound and a red light will illuminate on the dash or in the pressure gauge itself.
4)*Continue pumping the brake pedal. Once the pressure drops to 20 PSI the yellow parking brake knob should pop out.
5)*If the alarm does not sound at a minimum of 60 PSI or the spring brakes do not actuate your brake system will need to be serviced.

Pre-Trip Inspection
1)*Manually drain the air tanks.
2)*Run the engine at fast idle. The air pressure should go from 50 PSI to 90 PSI in less than 3 minutes.
3)*The air governor should unload the compressor at a minimum of 115 PSI and a maximum of 135 PSI.
4)*Fan the brake pedal to drop the air pressure to 80 PSI. If the governor is functioning correctly the pressure should begin to rise.
5)*Continue fanning the brake pedal. The low air pressure alarm should sound at approximately 60 PSI.
6)*Build up a full head of air pressure and switch off the engine.
7)*Release the spring (parking) brake.
8)*Apply full brake pedal pressure and hold.
9)*Hold this pedal pressure for at least 2 minutes. The air pressure should drop no more than 3 PSI per minute. If there is excessive pressure loss you have a leaky fitting or component in your brake system. Note that this assumes that your air-ride suspension is fully inflated and no longer using chassis air to inflate the air bags.

Mark Quasius
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinEddie View Post
Thank you Jim,

I have seen these instructions from Spartan too. On numbers 8 and 10 the operative words you're speaking about "should not read zero" is where I guess I must be reading or overthinking this too much. Where I struggle is that I have different answers from different Spartan techs depending on who I speak to.
So I guess my question to those of you that know way more than I do on this subject then is: If there is a check valve between all the tanks to isolate them in case of a failure, why when I pull the silver lanyard the primary (rear gauge) will read ALMOST zero. Does that mean the check valve is working? Because essentially there is SOME air in the primary tank, which would give credence to what Jim is pointing out. OR does it mean that the check valve isn't working because there is almost NO air left in the PRIMARY tank after the WET tank pressure was released. I say that because when I pull the GREEN lanyard, and fully let the air out, and then go and check the gauges the SECONDARY (front gauge) reads a full 125 psi.

My wife is sitting here telling me that I'm way over thinking this, so what are your thoughts? And if I am, please just tell me to go drink a beer and be done with this. I'll buy the first round. (Besides, I probably need one after watching the Vegas Golden Knights get destroyed tonight )
If your primary air is dropping that far (almost zero) after pulling the wet tank lanyard then I think you have a problem with the check valve and it should be replaced.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
If your primary air is dropping that far (almost zero) after pulling the wet tank lanyard then I think you have a problem with the check valve and it should be replaced.
Agree^^.

IMO, don't try to parse the term "zero." Even the Spartan instructions say to pressurize the system until purge before pulling the lanyards. That means all tanks should start with 115+lbs. of pressure. After draining the wet tank, the primary should not have dropped off from that pressure at all, let alone down to "nearly zero but not actually zero."

I don't believe you are over thinking this. Take it in and have it checked.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #23

Also (Spartan or Entegra) undercoated these coaches without regard to ensuring the lanyards would still be identifiable by color. Just a thought, but could the wrong lanyard be pulled first and cause the problem being experienced?
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #24

I picked up a trio of mini carabiners in red, green and silver at the tent in Quartzsite last year. Identify the correct lanyard, add one the the loop, and it's easier the next time. I think they cost me about .20 each.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:17 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVsCoach View Post
Also (Spartan or Entegra) undercoated these coaches without regard to ensuring the lanyards would still be identifiable by color. Just a thought, but could the wrong lanyard be pulled first and cause the problem being experienced?
They were finally nice on the 19 and had the lanyards taped with blue painters tape. I didn't have to clean these with lacquer thinner. I was shocked when I sat down with the lacquer thinner and looked to see blue tape.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
They were finally nice on the 19 and had the lanyards taped with blue painters tape. I didn't have to clean these with lacquer thinner. I was shocked when I sat down with the lacquer thinner and looked to see blue tape.

Here I go resurrecting an old thread again... I promise to go sit in a corner once I hit send... NOT .

Seriously, I was searching for the lanyard threads to learn the Spartan lanyard location and proper procedure for the lanyard pull when I came across this post. The only reason I'm resurrecting it is because either Spartan or Entegra has really made it easier for this maintenance service now. I'm guessing it was a mid-year change, because the lanyards are extremely easy to locate and pull now. Mine are in the PS DEF compartment right beside the DEF tank. Protected from the weather and very easy to pull by hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190320_173724.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	239146  
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
The Stop pulling your lanyards! :-)
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #28

Hi Dewey.. FYI, helping people sort out where things have migrated to on new coaches, and stimulating others to research where their lanyards are on their coach is absolutely not a bad thing.

Thanks for posting a picture to help in the process.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air tanks, lanyard, test