Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #1

Pulling the mountains in an Anthem

We are about to purchase an Anthem by Entregra. Love the coach. Our only concern is how well it will pull the mountains between western Pennsylvania and the Carolina's. We travel south often and want to do more of it. Love the Anthem and have completed a number of test drives but still concerned about the mountains. We will be pulling a Subaru or a trailer with two motorcyles in it. I keep thinking the 450 should do it nicely but it is a heavy coach. Is the 1250 ft lbs of torque enough?
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Good luck on your purchase. I've moved this thread to the Entegra Forum where I'm sure you'll receive some good advice. Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #3

Enough? Yes! Too much? No!
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
X2. We're out in NM. Pulled grades up to 8% for a mile and a half to two miles. Pulling 7500 with toad loaded with Harley. Sure, it slowed down to 45 to 50 with no accelerator, just cruise. Had one 8% that I slowed to 35 from a 55 start.

Would I like 600, yes. Can you get 600 HP for less than 400K? Not sure who.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Just returned from a trip in the AZ mountains. Not many realize that AZ has some pretty hefty climbs along I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Biggest climb today was about 8 miles of 6 to 8% grades south from Camp Verde. We entered the freeway on an uphill grade and accelerated to 60. As grade increased, we slowed to 50 to 55 for the majority of the climb. Manually downshifted to keep the rpms at or above 1700 rpms. Engine temps never exceeded 203 degrees. The very top was where the 8% was and there we slowed to 45. Pulling Honda CRV.

This summer we will be in Montana, Idaho and Colorado and in few of those locals will we run into grades exceeding what we drove today. I am extremely happy with the performance of our Anthem 44DLQ.

So get that Entegra - you will love it! Being in PA, you are really close to attend the Entegra Owners Summerfest in Michigan in August. Bring your new coach and show it off. For more information, send me an email at entegrasummerfest@yahoo.com
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I think no matter how many HP you have when you loose your momentum or start on an incline from a stop you'll see problems but if you lose 3-4 minutes in the climb i dont think you'll miss it once you get to where you need to go.

from a comparison I have a 500HP Cummins with 1645lbs of Torque on a Zephyr 50000 lb coach - i see it slow some on grades when i start off on an incline. But if the momentum is behind me i'm passing everyone at 60-65 up the hill. I get off stoplights up to 60 with little effort.

600 HP would be nice but gas mileage would suffer a lot lot. That came from the Entegra sales people at the factory -4-5 mpg isnt worth it to me.
You will probably get great gas mileage and at a sweet spot in size and weight. I get 7 mpg tops fully loaded at avg of 60-65 mph
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

Currently have a Bounder with 275 hp beefed up with a Banks system to 350 hp. Based on feedback we should do well with the Anthem and the 450 hp. The mountains in WV are not as long and steep as the gentleman from Arizona is pulling.
Love to have more hp but the purchase cost and the reduced mileage are not attractive.
Thanks for the quick feedback..
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our rig has the same chassis and a similar weight. The Wrangler Unlimited we tow is much heavier than either the Subaru or a pair of motorcycles. I'd not hesitate to take on any of the grades you're concerned with. None of them will be any more of a challenge than I40 between Tennessee and North Carolina, or I26 south of Asheville NC, both of which we've done a number of times. We also had the rig in Yellowstone last summer.

Towing/grades should not be a concern for you with that rig.

Happy trails!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

Two weeks ago my DW and I drove from Eastern NC to the Entegra plant and I didn't manually downshift once on the upgrades, only on the downgrades on I-77. A few times the transmission shifted down to 4th gear but most of the time it was 5th or 6th gear powering right up the grades. We tow a Honda Fit.
geneb28532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a DSDP with the ISC 350/1050, with the Banks it's now 435/1200 and towing a Honda Odyssey on a dolly. Yes it sometimes slows down in the steeper inclines, but still passes the trucks if needed and has never overheated. You should not have any more "trouble" than we do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote