Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 07:57 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Pump Running, Water Tank Filling...

Yesterday my water tank began filling up---it's happened a few times before--and usually I can just switch the city/fill back and forth and that fixes it. Not this time.

We're on city water, but if I turn the pump on, it runs continuously, and I don't think I'm getting any output from the pump.

I suspect the check valve on the pump is the issue.

As it happens, I have a complete "upper housing" kit that I could use to replace it. But it looks like the only way to replace the housing is to take the pump off, which is sort of a PITA.

Some options I'm considering:

a) just take the check valve off the kit and swap it over to the existing pump

b) go to HD, get a shark bite check valve and put it in front of the pump inlet (seems like an easy solution)

c) I did try tapping on the pump/check valve in hopes it would break free (no joy)

Any suggestions/comments/ideas?
bsaldeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I would do the shark bite check valve as that will fix the issue. We did it on our anthem about 5 years ago and no problem since
Old 09-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same issue and bought a rebuild kit for the valve. I rebuilt the head with the pump installed. I was surprised it was so easy because, like you, I had expected to have to take the pump out! Took maybe a 1/2 hour if that. Buy the rebuild kit!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can get a rebuild kit for the pump head and it will fail again. On several of our RVs I put a check valve or a manual valve in the water pump discharge line.

Ken
Old 09-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #5

A temporary fix might be to use a pair of vice grips to clamp the vinyl line from the pump. Then just remove the vice grips when you disconnect from the city water.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
an update: a friend suggested I double-check the winterizing valves. One was cracked open. That fixed the "pump running and nothing coming out" issue, but not sure if it'll solve the water-tank-filling-by-itself issue.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post
Yesterday my water tank began filling up---it's happened a few times before--and usually I can just switch the city/fill back and forth and that fixes it. Not this time.

We're on city water, but if I turn the pump on, it runs continuously, and I don't think I'm getting any output from the pump.

I suspect the check valve on the pump is the issue.

As it happens, I have a complete "upper housing" kit that I could use to replace it. But it looks like the only way to replace the housing is to take the pump off, which is sort of a PITA.

Some options I'm considering:

a) just take the check valve off the kit and swap it over to the existing pump

b) go to HD, get a shark bite check valve and put it in front of the pump inlet (seems like an easy solution)

c) I did try tapping on the pump/check valve in hopes it would break free (no joy)

Any suggestions/comments/ideas?
On your 2017 Entegra installed a shutoff valve before the pump to stop the water from back filling the tank. Take the white removable panel down, look to the left and slightly up and you will see the small white valve. Close it and your tank wonít fill. You need to open it to be able to use the pump.
If you decide to install a shark bite check valve it needs to go on the output side of the pump.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
On your 2017 Entegra installed a shutoff valve before the pump to stop the water from back filling the tank. Take the white removable panel down, look to the left and slightly up and you will see the small white valve. Close it and your tank won’t fill. You need to open it to be able to use the pump.
If you decide to install a shark bite check valve it needs to go on the output side of the pump.
Thanks to everyone that responded--but this particular response is helpful--I would like to shut the tank from filling while I figure it out. And I figured the check valve was on the input side, not the output side, so that's also great to know.

edit: (The pump is working properly now, but the tank is still filling...)
Old 09-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
On your 2017 Entegra installed a shutoff valve before the pump to stop the water from back filling the tank. Take the white removable panel down, look to the left and slightly up and you will see the small white valve. Close it and your tank wonít fill. You need to open it to be able to use the pump.
Jerryís right. PIA to remove panel and turn valve when changing between city water and pump. A shark bite check valve on the output side worked for me.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I put a shark bite check valve in (after the pump and before the "T" that goes to the drain).

It didn't fix the "filling-the-tank" problem. So my guess now is that it's the city water/fill tank valve. It's definitely leaked in the past---I've been able to wiggle it back and forth and get it to stay shut. Doesn't look like that's gonna work this time.

Any tips/tricks on how to replace the city water fill valve? Looks very difficult to get at...

Would a check valve work on the city water side of the fill valve? (rather than replace the plastic valve itself?)
Old 09-18-2021, 07:27 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
That makes no sense to me as the shark bite check valve should have stopped the flow of water to the tank.

If it were me first thing I would do is turn the city water off. Then turn on the pump and see if it doesnít run with all faucets off inside. If all faucets are off and the pump cycles then I would try adjusting the 2 small Allen screws on the top of the pump till it cycles off

To replace the valve is a PITA but can be accomplished depending on the year of your coach. The 16ís up are a lot more work as you have to remove the front cover to get up high enough to loosen and remove the hoses from the back of the valve. Then once removed drop the valve and put in an exact replacement.

This is not a fun task

Good luck
Old 09-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks to everyone that responded.

Here's the update:

The city water/fill tank valve was leaking. With the fill in the "off" position, I cut the hose going to the water tank. A pencil-sized stream of water was coming out of the "closed" valve.

Put a shark bite valve in where I cut the hose. Problem apparently stopped--been an hour and no more mysterious tank filling. Pump seems to be happy.

Yes, a somewhat cludgy solution--gotta turn two valves to fill the tank, but it was a lot easier than trying to replace that bad city water valve. At some point I'll try to tackle it, but not now.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
A temporary fix might be to use a pair of vice grips to clamp the vinyl line from the pump. Then just remove the vice grips when you disconnect from the city water.
Entegra uses PEX--nothing squeezable unfortunately.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post
Entegra uses PEX--nothing squeezable unfortunately.
Even from the fresh tank to a suction side of the pump? Mine has PEX on the output side of the pump, but there's a short section of vinyl tubing from the tank to the suction side. If I clamped that with some needlenose vice grips it would stop water from going into the fresh tank, if my check valve wasn't working (just as a temporary fix). The vinyl tubing coming from the top of the picture to the tee on the output side of the pump is where the city water comes in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210918_141456.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	343500  
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, tank, water