RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

Quartzsite Wifi Hot spot

Any one have any suggestions for wifi data hotspot and carrier to cover the Quartzsite and Phoenix areas.

I know i have to buy some device as well but looking for relaible WIFi off a hot spot for Q next month. MY Iphone is Verizon but I just to much data i think its $50 plus taxes a month for 15gb
Last year i exceeded that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 06:11 AM   #2

The only real solution is to buy more cell data coverage or find an unlimited data plan from one of the majors, unless you plan to eat all your breakfast and dinner at the McDonalds and use their WIFI for all your data needs....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Doubt you will find any usable wifi at Quartzsite unless someone nearby is willing to share their data plan with you.

Take a look at Visible by Verizon. Possible to get it for $25/mo all in with party pay (easy). Unlimited data - no throttling but always network managed (prioritization) . No roaming. For me it is working very well and is currently preferred over my $23+/mo Mobley plan in many cases due to issues with the AT&T network in some areas. IMO this plan is the best deal going for data next to the now defunct Mobley plan.

You do need to buy a phone to act as the "Jetpack" or modem. I picked up a new Moto e6 for cheap ($80) and have it tethered to a GL.inet AR750 router ($75) so the whole coach routes thru it. If you don't need the advanced features, the GL.inet Mango router is a basic but solid alternative for only $20. If your coach came with a Pepwave you should be able to tether to that. Otherwise, without a router Visible allows you to connect one device thru the phones wifi.

The Moto is a Cat7 phone so is decently fast compared to cheaper options. I have seen 80mb/s download direct to the phone and 10-20 typical for tethered devices. Plenty for streaming. You won't always get that, dependent on location and tower congestion, but it has the capability.

There is no contract with Visible so you can cancel simply by stopping the payments.

Don't know how well it will work at Quartzsite so you would need to research that. As I recall my Verizon Samsung worked ok back in 2018, but tower congestion is likely to be high in January.

Info here: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/?s=Visible
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
We use the Hot Spot function on our Samsung phone. We are on the Verizon's 55 or older Free Unlimited data plan. It's fast enough for general PC usage music streaming, You Tube, etc.It's worked well for us.
Not sure how well it works for movie streaming, some areas it should be ok.

Verizon's 55 plan is not available for the new phones using the 5GHz speeds like their S12's.

Quartzsite Verizon coverage, I think there is only one tower, can be marginal to none. From experience we know where some of the Zero reception areas are. The good reception areas often get overloaded in Jan.& Feb. due to the RV crowd. Phoenix and most other areas no problem on Hot Spot usage. Seldom ever experience down grading speeds.

FWIW,Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #5

I can add a few more facts. I have now been organizer of the ENTEGRA@QUARTZSITE GATHERING and we have been doing it for 6 years. My call service provider is Verizon. What I can tell you is that the cell data service quality has gotten worse over the years. I had two coaches with owners who were working from their coach (on line technical service for whoever they worked for) and one of them left morning after he arrived because he said he would not do his job from where we were located (and I dont think the problem was our location.... the problem was the load on the system IMO).

Now, I dont know if this is true or just a story, but the word at Quartzsite back in the first couple of years was that Verizon had mobile towers and mobile sites and they had brought in one or two mobile sites to help out during the massive influx of RVs into Quartzsite for the show and just for the BLM land during the winter. The same story was that Verizon stopped doing that several years ago. Cell phone call quality has never been the problem for me, but cell data has gotten slower over the years. I have an unlimited AT&T hotspot in my coach, a MIFI Verizon hot spot, and three iPhones (2 on Verizon) and one on Visible (unlimited data)(different company but Verizon is really the company behind it). I am able to hold my own, but I don't stream video in Q and I would guess that would not work well. I think that someone who is all into streaming might have a very difficult time in Quartzsite.

In my coach, television is handled by the Trav'ler antenna on the roof and Dish Mobile sat account.

Gary
Old 11-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #6

Thank You

thanks for the input. My current Verizon palm i get 8gb of hot spot data a month
and i use mostly all that at home last year i paid an extra $50 plus tax so $60
for 15 gb and i used it up. I have an Iphone 11 promax and it works very well for data all over Q except on the west side of Dome Rock. I was looking for a better plan, I see for $85 i think it is they a have unlimited dats and forgot something like 35 GB 5G And my phone it 4G but maybe unlimited after the 35GB of 5G got to look into it more, Never a problem with cell anywhere in Q little going to Parker, in and out. I guess ill find out more about verizon GET IT ALL PLAN or what ever is called. most plan throttle you down to 3G after a bit and that sucks
Old 11-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

Be careful with Verizon, they advertised my basic plan as "Unlimited" and it is still called unlimited, but in fact, it is 35 Gigs of high speed data. It is unlimited in that it does not shut you off at 35 gigs, but it does slow the data stream down to a point that technically it still "works" but mine is fundamentally worthless beyond 35 Gigs. I was NOT a happy camper when I realized that my "unlimited" Verizon data plan was actually a 35 Gig plan.

I don't use cell data for a job, but I am a pretty voracious world news guy and read a lot, so I can burn through 35 gigs easily in a month anywhere I happen to be parked.

Gary
Old 11-29-2020, 06:57 AM   #8

Oh Clyde, this baloney they are talking about right now of 5G service is a sham.... the only place that any of us are going to find true 5G service is in the middle of NYC, Chicago, LA, San Fran. etc. It is going to be a very very very long time before you get anything resembling the speed and capability of metropolitan area 5G service in Quartsite, or Shreveport, or Oil City, PA. This is all marketing baloney for 85% of the country for another 5-10 years.

I wont be laying out a lot of good money for a "5G capable" phone anytime soon.

Gary
Old 11-29-2020, 08:06 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Agree with Gary, my phone sometimes reports 5G service, but don't see 5G speed, right in the center of the DFW metroplex. (on AT&T)
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
That and every phone company also has their own definition of “5G”...while there probably is a true definition, it is 95% marketing hogwash right now, especially, IMHO, ATT and T Mobile...and also a gimmick to spend even more on a phone upgrade!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
That and every phone company also has their own definition of 5G...while there probably is a true definition, it is 95% marketing hogwash right now, especially, IMHO, ATT and T Mobile...and also a gimmick to spend even more on a phone upgrade!
Im told 5g no big thing and all hype
Old 12-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I changed to Nomad Internet three months ago after we ran out of mobile hotspot coverage between my phone and DW.

We chose T-Mobile since it seemed to have the best coverage in the locations we were going to be covering. We have averaged 100+Gb of usage each month and have had great success with it.

Between my kids streaming Netflix and nightly streaming, we do use a WeBoost from time to time.

My hope is once SpaceX Starlink is fully online, this issue of high cost and low service internet for full timers will be a thing of the past.

Tags
quartzsite, wifi