Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #15
YC1

You may be dead tomorrow. What are you waiting for?

Why have you not trained a replacement? I cannot imagine any business that cannot be run by someone else. Trusting others and allowing them to make different decisions and mistakes is critical in being able to have the freedom to roam.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Doug, almost a carbon copy situation. Sold my business when I was 53. Took the money and bought two small commercial strip centers. Nice monthly income, long term leases and just enough to keep me busy, if I want to be, while at home, or call to have it done, (almost 100% now)

With, boats, classic cars, MH's and hobbies, I don't know how I had time to run a business. I have never been bored and have no desire to get back into business. If we "think" were bored we get in the MH and go to the Keys, Myrtle Beach, etc.

Living in FL, we follow the fall colors home and spend the winter at home in 80 degree weather. We don't leave until the end of June.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireDoug View Post
Great info from everyone. Most of you can tell I think I am ready. The DW is not in as much of a hurry. I can't get her to understand how fast life can go by. If we fool around we could wake up and be 65 and very well could have health issues. Look at MR_D. So sorry for your wife's health issues. This could happen to any of us at any time. One day my dad was in perfect health and at 74 still had a sharp mind. Next thing we know he had ALS and three months later the Lord took him home so he did not have to go through what was on the way.

Doug
I have to relate this story and the reason for my goal of early retirement. My Dad & Mom went full time when Dad was 59.....he wanted to work "one more year" to pay cash for the trailer. Dad passed away with cancer at 63...the last year spent in hospitals. Life is way to short.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #18

We sold off our powder coating business when I reached 62. The hardest part was paying for health insurance till medicare age. Now I'm 74 and never regretted my desision. You just never know how long you will live. Enjoy life. Jmo

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #19
Community Administrator

The men on my fathers side all passed before 60. I bought my first MH at 53 and told ( didn't ask ) the people I worked for that I would be traveling 4-5 months a year. Sure I lost a fair amount of income as I was on commissions but never regretted it. It was a trade off that paid off for me . We traveled some 93,000 miles throughout 49 States ( almost twice ) and 10 Canadian Provinces as well as the Yukon Territory. I'm beginning to lose some family and friends of my generation that weren't so lucky.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't worry about being bored. The definition of a retired person is someone who gets up in the morning with nothing to do, and goes to bed at night with only half of it done. I've been retired for 9 years now, and have no idea where I ever found the time to work.

Jake
Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #21

We are both retired. We will most likely never fulltime, and there is nothing wrong with that. Our house is the perfect house to keep our MH at, and I do all my own maintenance so it is important to us to have a home base. Even if you get a little bored during retirement, it is still way better than going to work. A year or less after retirement you will wonder how you ever had time to work, as the days always fill with something and the time really fly's.

We help out babysitting our Grandkids a lot, probably way more than we should(we're our own worst enemy as we are so attached to them). But the nice thing is when we want to take off in the MH, our Kids know they need to make other arrangements for babysitting/school ect. We take off maybe planning a two week trip, but many have ended up being 4-6 weeks depending on where the road takes us. That is the great part about being retired is you get to do it on your own time schedule, and once you realize you aren't just on a long vacation, then you figure out there is no time schedule and really start to enjoy your travels. We do plan around the holidays ect, but when we get home from a long trip, it is always exciting knowing we can take off again at the drop of a hat.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I collapsed and almost died at age 47, with a rare, aggressive type of lymphoma with only a 30% survival rate. I had a few very rough years with chemo (failed), clinical trial (failed), and then a harsh stem cell transplant that kills 20% of the recipients.

I'm now 52 and FINALLY stable enough medically to go full-time. I probably won't live long enough to collect social security, and I could require ICU hospitalization at pretty much any time.

I don't miss work. I WOULD regret not giving this FT thing a chance. I'd be tickled pink if I lasted long enough to run out of money. Worst case, I'm eating tuna lunches and macaroni dinners. I'm going to go make memories while I still can.

Nothing like struggling for every breath, or planning your own funeral, or begging to die because of pain to hammer home the lesson -- DO IT WHILE YOU ARE ABLE.

Jmho :-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shoot did I just join the "thread killer" group?

Darnit did NOT mean to do that. Just offering a different perspective!

:-)
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #24

Mr. D,
X2 on what Gary said, wish you all the best and prayers.
Tom and Bev
bevandtomH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
You may be dead tomorrow. What are you waiting for?

Why have you not trained a replacement? I cannot imagine any business that cannot be run by someone else. Trusting others and allowing them to make different decisions and mistakes is critical in being able to have the freedom to roam.
I have not trained my replacement. I thought my son would take over but he started his own business and has no interest in ours. I have a great helper but he does not quote or deal with but a few customers and he can't deal with employees at all. 20 years ago I let two guys do these things and they left to go into competition with me. They knew all our prices and manufacturing and quoting methods and had relationships with my customers. After that I started doing all quoting and only myself and one family member has contact with customers. When we go we will sell out. Not going to carry any paper or own it and not be there. Not saying someone else could not do a great job but we are not going go that direction.
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireDoug View Post
Great info from everyone. Most of you can tell I think I am ready. The DW is not in as much of a hurry. I can't get her to understand how fast life can go by. If we fool around we could wake up and be 65 and very well could have health issues. Look at MR_D. So sorry for your wife's health issues. This could happen to any of us at any time. One day my dad was in perfect health and at 74 still had a sharp mind. Next thing we know he had ALS and three months later the Lord took him home so he did not have to go through what was on the way.

Doug
I retired at 51. The only time I miss it is during the winter months - I get bored because I like the outdoors but not the cold.

In case you haven't noticed as we age we just can't do as much and we don't recover fast from strenuous exercise. It isn't just that you might die or get sick - you can't do things that you might enjoy.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Doug

We are the same age and my DW & I are still working. Same concerns. Our youngest graduates college in December and already has a good job. Everyone off pay roll then. We are going to pull the trigger next spring. Maybe reevaluate after couple of years.

We have been thinking about putting our house in a executive rental program for a couple years as a option. The other idea is to sell and when we find a piece of land we love, most likely Colorado, build us a port home to call base. Maybe find enough acreage where other like minded rv'ers could build their port home as well

Bottom line is we need to step out there and do it.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
Bottom line is we need to step out there and do it.

Herb
Once you take the first steps if feels like a huge weight has been taken off your shoulders.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote