Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #43

Chuck, the $1300.00 per year is just because the Doc. went from having hundreds of patients to only a handful. Some kind of closed practice. It's called MDVIP. I still have to pay just like I would have before he started this but this makes it where I get an appointment within one day and have his cell phone if I need him at any time 24/7. Plus when I do go in he spends half an hour with me instead of ten minutes.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #44

I would think that with a little shopping around and monthly stays rather than weekly stays you will save yourself some cash on rent. We stay at very nice places and for the most part we are around $1,000 per month utilities included. Naturally a high end spot will be more but there are plenty of really good spots available in that price range. Once you start to do it you will get recommendations from others who will give you the straight story on the various parks you are looking at. Don't be shy and remember you have a large class A and won't fit in many places with the coach and a toad. Most of all have fun and keep your sense of humor.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Even high end rates are chicken feed compared to taxes and insurance on a stick & brick home plus electric cable etc. As far as insurance goes has anyone under the age 65 (pre medicare) shopped the "Affordable Care Act (Obama Care)" exchanges for health care insurance?
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
Even high end rates are chicken feed compared to taxes and insurance on a stick & brick home plus electric cable etc. As far as insurance goes has anyone under the age 65 (pre medicare) shopped the "Affordable Care Act (Obama Care)" exchanges for health care insurance?
If you are 61 and do not get a subsidy - about $650/month.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
I was a little older than you when I retired but I hear what you are saying about boredom. I wouldn't have worked nearly as long if I hadn't been worried. The first year was hard. Going from 60+ hours/week to none was scary. I still do a little consulting so I feel like I'm keeping my brain active. I couldn't let go all the way but I can pick and choose when I work - which I find I'm doing less and less of as we go. By the end of the first year, I was starting to wonder how I had time to work. But if I hadn't had the consulting available, I probably would have done some volunteering. I needed some structure to make the bridge. Health insurance is a challenge. I made it to Medicare age but DH has not. We spend $1,000/mo. to get a really good BCBS policy for him that is good nationally. We have a home but we like to travel in the summers too. We did full time for a year while house hunting and then building. That was enough for us. We want a house. Love the RV but like having a house too. Parks are not cheap, especially the ones that hold our size units. We probably come closer to a $12-1500.00/mo. average. Sometimes we move every day, sometimes we'll stay for a month in one place. You find the rhythm that works for you. We love the extra time with grandkids and the kids are actually thrilled to have us around more often. Surprised us. Good luck on your decision. Take the time. Remember that every study shows that we will spend less as we age. Enjoy the spending while you can. Too many waited too long.

Linda & Rick
Lola, Dixie, Sammy & Ellis (barking furbabies)
2013 Entegra Aspire/2014 Jeep GC
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Doug; as has already been said you have hit a nerve with allot of us. I am 64 my wife is 60, three years ago she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. We survived this and I resurrected a dream I always had.....when I was little my father and 3 other JPL engineers converted a Blubird bus to a Taj Mahal. I will always remember parking on the beach in San Onofre, Ca. So we both decided we needed to live the RV life. Well best laid plans, my wife now volunteers full time as a church volunteer and I run an olive oil company BUT, We jump in the Entegra and head out whenever the kids call and need babysitters for our grandkids. I am not sure how to verbalize it but if you can do it do it now. Hindsight is always 20-20 and another day another dollat does not mean a whole lot at the end of the day.

Now that is easy for me to say, but I hope it helps you with some perspective.
Bobl and Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:01 AM   #49

Doug

As others, I worried a lot about retirement and boredom. I had gone to college and graduate school for 10 years, worked one university job for 30 years, got mad the final 2 years, then DW and I moved, and worked a university Administration job for an additional 11 years, really enjoying every day at the office. I could have worked another 10 years. Health is good as is the DW's health, but at 65 I kept saying to myself, I have spent my whole life doing what other people expected me, or needed me, to do, and I thought I wanted to spend a while doing what I wanted to do. I also had a real sense that at 65, if I had 10 more good years in me before things got much worse, I would be a VERY LUCKY MAN. 10 years! So, the feeling that I did not want to die at my desk, that I wanted to indulge my, and my wife's desire to see the country, I better start to launch another phase of life soon. However, it scared the hell out of me. The plans were to keep the S&B, travel during the heat of the southern summer, and the cold of the southern winter (in this part of The South, the winter does get colder than I like), and spend the shoulder seasons at home. I also had a strong sense that I had worked my whole life for the S&B and life that we had at home, so I am not crashing headlong into getting rid of the S&B yet (e.g. full-timing), but disengaging with all the stuff that we have is going to become a reality at some point. So, we travel ~ 6 months of the year, and are home ~ 6 months of the year. The 6 months at home are enough to keep the S&B going (I had delayed some work on the house because I was "too busy" at work and now I work on those outside and inside (painting) activities during months when the weather is not a killer. When we travel, we find it very easy to spend 3 months on the road, and frankly, we are in NO hurry to return home. We could go for much longer, but the balance is nice and the freedom is fantastic. When I worked in a university setting, one of the few "perks" was travel, and if you played the "publish or perish" game (I did), then you were frequently submitting research articles to national and international conferences (as did my wife) and we have said, we have visited every medium to large city in the United States (and many "Western" European cities/countries) for 4 days (attending conventions and meetings), but we knew none of them very well, and knew only a few states as vacation spots. So, now we are visiting those same cities and areas for as long as we want and getting to know them as much as we like. It is great.

My main concern was boredom, but that has been the last of my worries now that I am doing it. Working on, thinking about my Anthem is almost a full-time activity...... it and the S&B (AND iRV2) filled the void. I have not been bored one hour in the past 3 years of retirement. As long as my health holds out (and the DW also), we are going to go ba**s out with this life-style and we are having a ton of fun in the process. Things will change, but as long as health holds out, we are delighted and having a ball.... the coach was the "trick" that filled the void. Both of us are always planning, thinking, doing something related to the Anthem or the S&B.

Its always scary to consider something completely different, but think it through, make sure it is right for you and that you have covered your bases. Its normal to be cautious... which is what made you successful in the first place, but we all could be dead later today.... we are guaranteed nothing in life, so at the right point, push yourself to let go and give something new a try.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #50

Oh, and it helps to have a DW who enjoys the motorcoach and lifestyle as much as you do. Mine will often be found saying something like "Gary, I'm ready to be on the road......." after we are at the S&B for a couple months and the planning for the next trip is well under way

Gary
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Oh, and it helps to have a DW who enjoys the motorcoach and lifestyle as much as you do. Mine will often be found saying something like "Gary, I'm ready to be on the road......." after we are at the S&B for a couple months and the planning for the next trip is well under way

Gary
+++on having the DW love the life too. Whether it was to buy the first Tiffin or buying the new Cornerstone my DW's been right there, just as eager as me! And we both seem to " get the itch" to move on and hit the road bout the same time
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #52

I guess I'm one of the younger ones here, from reading all of the other posts. DW retired from the FAA after close to 30 years the day she turned 50. I retired from a fire department after 20 years at age 51 and a 1/2 because our youngest son became a single father and needed the help since he lived in Maryland. Long story and I won't bore you with the details, just know that we were lucky we were in a position to do it. Sold the S&B in Illinois and bought a townhouse in Maryland. Well, almost 3 years later and he's getting on his feet and we are moving on.

We bought an RV and relocated 40 miles away from him and took a work camping job so we could help him occasionally. Sort of like weening him off of the family payroll. LOL
If all goes well for him he will be self sufficient soon and we will be free to roam.

Because of his situation my retirement plans were escalated by about 5 years and moving into a smallish Class A with 2 large dogs has had its growing pains.

I wouldn't change a thing, although, it would have been nice to be able to plan this out a little better. We are doing well and plan to start traveling in the spring.

Our townhouse is rented, for now, and will eventually be sold. We may find a place to park an RV and spread out a little but I don't think we will ever have a real house again.

My suggestion, as others have voiced, if you're on the fence go ahead and jump in........the waters fine.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #53

I guess I'm one of the younger ones here, from reading all of the other posts. DW retired from the FAA after close to 30 years the day she turned 50. I retired from a fire department after 20 years at age 51 and a 1/2 because our youngest son became a single father and needed the help since he lived in Maryland. Long story and I won't bore you with the details, just know that we were lucky we were in a position to do it. Sold the S&B in Illinois and bought a townhouse in Maryland. Well, almost 3 years later and he's getting on his feet and we are moving on.

We bought an RV and relocated 40 miles away from him and took a work camping job so we could help him occasionally. Sort of like weening him off of the family payroll. LOL
If all goes well for him he will be self sufficient soon and we will be free to roam.

Because of his situation my retirement plans were escalated by about 5 years and moving into a smallish Class A with 2 large dogs has had its growing pains.

I wouldn't change a thing, although, it would have been nice to be able to plan this out a little better. We are doing well and plan to start traveling in the spring.

Our townhouse is rented, for now, and will eventually be sold. We may find a place to park an RV and spread out a little but I don't think we will ever have a real house again.

My suggestion, as others have voiced, if you're on the fence go ahead and jump in........the waters fine.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #54

Doug,

Our story isn't much different than the other fine folks here. We are all workaholics or we wouldn't be in the position to leave at such early years.

My wife is 50 now and has been a realtor for many years. Her father fell Ill in 2012 and*she hung up her license to take care of him until he passed in 2013. He was 72 and still owned his business the day he passed away. God rest his soul,* what a wonderful man. Financially capable to retire years before his passing, but he loved his business.

At the same time all of the above was going on. I was in a very stressful position with over 5000 public employees, a 700 million dollar annual*budget entrusted to me as head of daily operations for this entity.

In 2014, I had decided I would leave by the end of the year and fully retire at age 56.

We had planned for our retirement years prior with savings, retirement fund accounts and a pension for the 31 years.
The last 2 years of work we researched our decision on our Anthem and were ready to order the day we retired.

Three months before I would retire one of the wealthiest men in America approached me and offered a VP position under him. It was another stressful job. Oh boy,
here we go again.

The pay package and bonuses alone would have caused most people to take the job, but I didnt. I agreed to the postion at first and signed a contract with him.
Ten days before I retired I told him I would not be taking the position.
You know what he asked me? "Is it the money".
You know why I didn't take the position, because I know me and I would have spent another ten years working with him with tons of stress while more years went by. It has been almost 2 years retired now and we have never looked back.

It has been said here many times already, we don't know when the good Lord will decide he needs us, so when you can retire and be financially secure then there is only one last thing to do. I highly doubt you will be bored.

Best of luck on what ever you decide.

PS. One last thing, the man still calls me once in awhile to ask me how retirement is going, if I am bored and where our travels have taken us. Maybe he is Jealous.
LVUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #55

After 25+ years of 12 hour/rotating shift work I 'retired' two months shy of turn 50.
Company I had worked for (major utility---So.CAL) went thru 'deregulation' and sold all power plants with a 2 yr operation/maintenance contract. At end of that 2 yr contract the NEW owners decided to hire their own employees. No contract.....no work available for us at the power plants. Fortunately I had time in service to qualify for 'package' so I took it and went to work for NEW owners. (I was 48 at that time)
Well after 2 years of fighting/arguing with NEW owners over safety issues/manning issues and being threatened with suspensions/terminations going to work was no longer FUN-and I REALLY liked what I did and was GOOD at it.
10AM on a Friday after another 'discussion' with management over working conditions that involved a sulfuric acid system I QUIT

Started fretting Saturday...what had I done, what was I going to do now, did I just step in it
Monday I call my investment guru, explained what had transpired ---he said come on down and we'll have a look ---see what options were available.
After meeting with him........I went from 'unemployed' to RETIRED.
I had always invested monies....personally and via company programs. Well that 28% monthly investment changed my outlook.

Four years later GF was not happy with her job.......it was no longer FUN and she dreaded going in everyday. Plus I was pushing her to stop working----interfering with our 'trips/play time' .
She was already fully vested so............she quit at age 50.

We then went about enjoying more camping trips.........and decided Full Time was what we should be doing.
Nov 2006 bought new truck and new 5th wheel. By Jan 2007 we were living in it park alongside house while we got ready for Estate Sale and then Sale of house.
April 07 we hit the road......traveling every week or 2 weeks. 250 miles MAX and seeing the USA via secondary/back roads.

7 yrs. we traveled enjoying it ---adventure of lifetime. Made 12 trips across/around USA rarely using same route
Life threw curve ball and we decided to come off the road.
Bought another S&B and enjoying life....different time....new phase but ALL Good.

I have been retired 13 yrs and GF for 9 yrs.
Sometimes I miss WHAT I did......but that passes quickly when I remind myself of those 12 hr rotating shifts, the birthdays/kids events/Holidays that I missed due to those shifts or being on 24/7 call-out

Life is meant to be enjoyed...do whatever is necessary to fully enjoy it to the best of your abilities.....regardless

GO CAMPING!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I can think of only three reasons you might not enjoy retirement.

One might be if you enjoyed your work so much it gives you as much enjoyment and satisfaction as taking the kids to Disney World. I've not met many people in that category.

Second, you can't afford to retire. For most of us this requires working up some kind of budget outline, representing how we'd like to live our retirement years, and comparing that to your resources.

Lastly would be poor health. There's no guarantee any of us will see another sunrise. At some point we or our significant other WILL develop health issues that will interfere with our plans.

As for boredom, if you're bored, that's your own damn fault! There is so much to do and see. While at home, take up or expand a hobby, volunteer, join a social group or take on some civic project. I've heard fellow retirees comment many times, "I don't know how I ever had time to work!"
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote