Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Question for those who have a solid front axle

Do you tend to hold the wheel sightly counter to the crown in the lane while driving on freeways? Or are you able to relax the wheel completely? I notice my Insignia wants to drift to the pitch of the road slightly. It's not bad, but it does require constant attention. Is this just a characteristic for a solid axle?

Thanks in advance
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes if the crown is large, I notice having to correct for it. But this is seldom. Usually driving is relaxed with little input when freeway driving. Sounds like you may need to check tire pressures (by weight), the tires themselves, worn/damaged steering components, or alignment.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

it's because the road is crowned, not due to your coach

that said, I found mine Palazzo pulled slightly to the right, making me keep the wheel at about 11oclock all the time on straight flat roads - my first stop at Gaffney(FreightlinerServiceCenter) in SC, they simply rotated the front tires - NO MORE PULL !
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Sometimes if the crown is large, I notice having to correct for it. But this is seldom. Usually driving is relaxed with little input when freeway driving. Sounds like you may need to check tire pressures (by weight), the tires themselves, worn/damaged steering components, or alignment.
Probably all of the above. I have not weighed it yet. I need to read up on this. Is there a chart somewhere in my owners manuals
Old 01-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Probably all of the above. I have not weighed it yet. I need to read up on this. Is there a chart somewhere in my owners manuals
You get 8 seperate weight readings ( dealer should have the weight pads to help you determine those) and then go to Goodyear's (you can google it) recommended air pressure based on how much weight each tire is carrying.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

yes
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #7

Buddy,

First, did the dealer, or you do a chassis lube. We covered this in a previous post. Normal road crowns should not be noticeable. Some times two lane roads have severe crowns that you may have to hold against. However, multiple lane highways should not cause you to hold against a crown. Cross wind will cause you to hold the wheel against it but this will be slight unless above 20 mph wind with your Entegra.

Your solid axle should work very well. Almost all 18 wheelers have solid axles and they track very straight. What you are describing is not a characteristic of solid axles.

I have been following your posts and know you have not put many miles on it yet. Get some more experience with your new rig on a variety of roads and then decide if you really have an issue. If your tires are inflated equally on your axles left to right it will not affect your steering. Four corner weights and appropriate tire pressure settings will give you the best ride/wear characteristics for the long haul. 18 wheelers typically run 110 psi all around and never adjust tire pressure for running empty vs loaded. Only RVers get concerned about this and then don't run enough miles on their tires to make a difference. JMHO
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tex View Post
Buddy,

First, did the dealer, or you do a chassis lube. We covered this in a previous post. Normal road crowns should not be noticeable. Some times two lane roads have severe crowns that you may have to hold against. However, multiple lane highways should not cause you to hold against a crown. Cross wind will cause you to hold the wheel against it but this will be slight unless above 20 mph wind with your Entegra.

Your solid axle should work very well. Almost all 18 wheelers have solid axles and they track very straight. What you are describing is not a characteristic of solid axles.

I have been following your posts and know you have not put many miles on it yet. Get some more experience with your new rig on a variety of roads and then decide if you really have an issue. If your tires are inflated equally on your axles left to right it will not affect your steering. Four corner weights and appropriate tire pressure settings will give you the best ride/wear characteristics for the long haul. 18 wheelers typically run 110 psi all around and never adjust tire pressure for running empty vs loaded. Only RVers get concerned about this and then don't run enough miles on their tires to make a difference. JMHO
I have a trip to Atlanta in a couple weeks. I'll make that trip with proper air pressures and see how it feels

I spoke extensively with Spartan. The assured me the chassis are fully lubricated before they leave the factory. Still, I had RVone check and lube as needed. They found no issues. They also had the coach aligned for me, and provided an alignment sheet.

It was not at all difficult to hold steady, but I was always sawing the wheel slightly. There we also some winds. This all occurred on I87, which is not the best of roads.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #9

What does "sawing the wheel" mean?
Old 01-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tex View Post
What does "sawing the wheel" mean?
turning the wheel back and forth between 11:30-12 on the straights fighting the crown. I did note that when in the fast lane the I was able to hold the wheel straighter
Old 01-28-2017, 06:41 PM   #11

That is exactly what I encountered on my 1,000 mile drive home from NIRVC. Adding to what you described, if I corrected to the left, the coach kept going that direction until I corrected to the right, etc,etc. the steering would not center itself.....ever. Greasing the kingpins solved the problem. It's been great ever since..
Old 01-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I have a trip to Atlanta in a couple weeks. I'll make that trip with proper air pressures and see how it feels

I spoke extensively with Spartan. The assured me the chassis are fully lubricated before they leave the factory. Still, I had RVone check and lube as needed. They found no issues. They also had the coach aligned for me, and provided an alignment sheet.

It was not at all difficult to hold steady, but I was always sawing the wheel slightly. There we also some winds. This all occurred on I87, which is not the best of roads.

Thanks
I know for a fact that is not true. Read the other post of those that received chassis that were also dry and had steering problems. Spartan also aligned mine at their factory. It was horrible and wore the outside edge of the right front tire before the alignment was corrected by an independent shop.

Load coach then weight and adjust tire pressure.

Grease Chassis.

Have front end aligned after loading coach.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I know for a fact that is not true. Read the other post of those that received chassis that were also dry. Spartan also aligned mine at their factory. It was horrible and wore the outside edge of the right front tire before the alignment was corrected by and independent shop.

Load coach then weight and adjust tire pressure.

Grease Chassis.

Have front end aligned after loading coach.
Yes, I will bring it to an independent shop, weigh , align and grease it. Entegra will pay for it.
I have a safe T steer from my old gasser that will fit. I might install that as well.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #14

I had the same problem on Tuscany. Dealer had alignment done two times. No change. Took it to Gaffney and was told it was due to the crown of the road.
Drove it cross country that way this past summer and did not believe it was normal. Someone in Seattle suggested I have Kaiser Brake & Alignment in Eugene, OR take a look at it. They apparently handled difficult cases for Monaco and Country Coach, etc. when they manufactured there.
They aligned front end and rotated my front tires and the problem is gone. It is by far the best driving coach I have had now. They suspected right away after a test drive that it was caused by radial pull hence the rotation. The coach was also wandering. The alignment took care of that by increasing the toe-in. What a difference after that. So don't give up if you feel it is not right. Even against advice from Gaffney.