Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 08:10 PM   #1

Question for those who trailer their motorcycles

any recommendations on motorcycle covers while trailering or on the back of your coach ?
i am just trying to prevent being stuck in a down pour with my bike getting soaked
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would never put a cover on a bike while trailering. I’m afraid the wind buffeting would damage the paint.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #3

I would also rather let my bike get wet and dirty vs a cover flapping on the paint.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe an enclosed trailer?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #5

If you're worried about the seat getting wet get a rain cover for the seat, they make them where you can tow with them on.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #6

We use a 6x10 enclosed trailer with a drop ramp and side door. I built shelves and provision for parts, stuff, and gear across the front. Also handy for tires, maintenance stuff, and spare parts. I usually go through two rear and one front tires on my extended summer trips out west.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:48 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
6x12 enclosed trailer for us as well.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #8

I have a jeep truck and juat added a load all. So an enclosed trailer is not in the cards. Main thing I be worried about is the saddle bag speakers..I
Old 12-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #9

Pic of setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_155657.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	350660  
Old 12-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVB View Post
any recommendations on motorcycle covers while trailering or on the back of your coach ?
i am just trying to prevent being stuck in a down pour with my bike getting soaked

I tow my Road King in a 4x8 utility trailer that I put a rock and gravel screen on the front .

No cover.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Personally I would never put a cover on a bike while trailering. I’m afraid the wind buffeting would damage the paint.
jt
My thoughts as well. I've seen covers buff at the corners of panniers and fairings and really mess up pretty paint jobs.

And I've ridden mine for miles and miles in torrential downpours. Getting wet doesn't seem to affect it much

If you want to protect it while trailering a box is the best idea. Then you've got the additional lockable storage to boot.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #12

I'm transporting my bike on a lift and use this cover: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Budge-Ext...Sizes/23636880

It's the only cover I could find that was designed for trailering. It has tons of loops and comes with adjustable straps.

In over 7000 miles of travel I have had some scuffing but it's usually because I didn't take care to make sure it was pulled tight. Seems like the front of the front fender is the the worst spot but I've figured out a way to strap it so it isn't a problem. Lots of bungie cords is the trick. Between the handlebars and the passenger backrest the cover never comes close to the tank.

One thing to note is between the dust kicked up by the tow vehicle, and the way the air swirls behind it, dust still gets up underneath the cover. In the rain the same happens with mist kicked up by the tow vehicle tires.

Before deciding on a cover I read the same opinions. some people say covering is best, many say don't do it. It's true, dirt is easier to remove than scratches, but I still prefer to transport the bike covered. I find less mess when transporting it in the rain than when it's dusty.

Prior to hitting the road full time and needing to haul a toad, I transported the bike in a Cargo Trailer. I never worried about the weather with the trailer and it made for a nice discrete place to work on the bike if I needed to.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:20 PM   #13

Thanks too all for their input. that walmart cover looks appealing, i am thinking maybe add some mover blankets under the cover and go over board on the straps ..i seen this one as well Black Widow Trailerable Full Dresser Motorcycle Cover

https://youmotorcycle.com/black-wido...er-review.html

@ $150 dollars
Old 12-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVB View Post
I have a jeep truck and juat added a load all. So an enclosed trailer is not in the cards. Main thing I be worried about is the saddle bag speakers..I
I'd expect your bike to be better protected on the back of the Jeep than in an open trailer or on a lift. I went 'round and 'round on covers, soft lined, or not. Stretchy or not, thick vs thin. I used a soft lined cover for some open trailer towing once and found the liner collects dust and can be just as abrasive as unlined if it flaps a lot. Note, the cover I have is unlined. Outside is canvas-like and the inside is some kind of plastic-y coating. It is waterproof. Its been in use for a year and a half and is holding up very well. It has faded from back to grey. I was impressed enough with the cover, I bought the next smaller size to cover our electric bikes on the back of the toad. Having a whole bunch of loops is a real plus. In fact all the loops and straps were a driver for some bad reviews. People said it was too confusing and there were no instructions for using the cover. I'd rather have too many loops than not enough. Over time I developed a fairly consistent method for installing the cover.

My situation is probably the worst, with the bike on a lift right behind a rear radiator Class A. Any dust sucked up by the engine fan is blown right at the bike and rain mist from the rear tires hits the bike first. A bike in the bed of the Jeep should be in better conditions. Only thing is wind can swirl in the bed of a truck.

Whatever you choose, it's easy enough to learn what works and what doesn't over time. The other thing I like about the cover is I use it when the bike is off the lift. Right now it's sitting under and oak tree in a campsite completely protected from bird poop, sap and bug goo dripping from the tree, and the rain too. I do occasionally turn the cover inside out and hit it with a hose to clean off collected dust.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose, motor, trailer