Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #15

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
That seems awful fast. Ours took over 8 hours. Maybe they're dedicating more resources to the job.
I agree. When they gave me the time estimate we were discussing the time required in the context of a repair facility’s estimate of 12 to 16 hours. For some reason I think there was a little bragging involved.

We’re not in any hurry and they’re also going to change out the rusted overflow reservoir and perform some 2 year maintenance so I’m going to ask them to take their time on the radiator.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #16

They just did my friends radiator in 6 hours at Spartan
Old 04-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #17

I watched the techs pull and replace my radiator. Now, often the cooler above the radiator is sent to replace too (the charge air cooler??), but my shop said it only was needed to replace the radiator. In 4 hours, the tech had the radiator out and the new one in. Then the tech needed to arrange to get Fleetguard OAT Compleat which they did not have in stock, so we waiting for several hours for it to arrive, install in the radiator system, clean up, and getting the coach back off a ramp used to get the back end of the coach raised enough for the radiator to be dropped down from above. So, start to finish and turned over to me, about 6 hours. Actually swapping the radiator, 4 hours.

Someone who takes 16 hours either doesn’t know how to do the job or knows that Spartan will pay for ~ 15 hours service and is going to bill for it.

I am aware that some shops have tried to remove it sideways out through the louvered grill which is a tough way to do it. Straight down is the way.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #18

I'm losing about a cup every 1,000 miles or so on cool down. We've got about 23K on the coach. I've been putting off doing anything and topping it off after every long leg of a trip. What worries me is a big failure all at once! Gonna give 'em a call tomorrow morning. Spartan needs to step up on this one!
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem15 View Post
I'm losing about a cup every 1,000 miles or so on cool down. We've got about 23K on the coach. I've been putting off doing anything and topping it off after every long leg of a trip. What worries me is a big failure all at once! Gonna give 'em a call tomorrow morning. Spartan needs to step up on this one!
There have been a couple of post with photos where the radiators completely failed and they had to be towed. It is not something to put off, it can happen. I was lucky and made it to CA and back. I first realized I had a leak half way to CA. Hope Spartan takes good care of you.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #20

When the radiator in our Aspire was replaced, the shop put in a dark blue coolant. When we went to the Spartan factory, they drained and flushed that and out the red back in.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #21

I'll pass along a little something that Spartan told me when my second radiator was beginning to leak a little more quickly.... they said to simply crack (loosen) the radiator cap half off (there is one click where it is still secure on the radiator but it is no longer making a pressure seal). They said that was OK and the reduced pressure would make it leak less and me more able to get to my destination. File that away if you get into more trouble.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #22

Thanks, gentlemen, for nudging me along here. I contacted NIRVC Lewisville this morning and they said I'm within the Spartan 3-year warranty period. Whew. Taking it in Wednesday for Spartan's mandatory "pressure check." Nothing like the "pressure" though I'd have been under from DW if we got stranded on the highway after a blown radiator!
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #23

Static leak or increases over time?

Can anyone tell me if their leaks started small and then progressively worsened? I've been chasing coolant usage for 3 years. I finally found my first leak at the bottom back of the radiator on my last trip.

I have a funny pattern of refilling with my coach: Let is sit for more than 8 weeks - the radiator will leak the first leg of a long trip, so I refill. Doesn't leak again until it sits for 2 + months. Mine also only leaks when going down the road. It seems to close up when stopped and stay closed until it sits for a long time.

Early on, Spartan had the radiator pressure tested - no problems. So now the question is do I need to replace it, or just add a cup of radiator fluid first leg out of every trip? My coach is way out of warranty with 4 years and 68K miles on it.

Thx Cory
xtechgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtechgeek View Post
Can anyone tell me if their leaks started small and then progressively worsened? I've been chasing coolant usage for 3 years. I finally found my first leak at the bottom back of the radiator on my last trip.

I have a funny pattern of refilling with my coach: Let is sit for more than 8 weeks - the radiator will leak the first leg of a long trip, so I refill. Doesn't leak again until it sits for 2 + months. Mine also only leaks when going down the road. It seems to close up when stopped and stay closed until it sits for a long time.

Early on, Spartan had the radiator pressure tested - no problems. So now the question is do I need to replace it, or just add a cup of radiator fluid first leg out of every trip? My coach is way out of warranty with 4 years and 68K miles on it.

Thx Cory
If you only have to add a cup every time and it is full ... I wouldn't worry about it, just keep adding the cup. When you have to add a quart ... start to look at getting it replaced. Just my opinion, and might want to just give Spartan a call and see what their advice would be.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem15 View Post
Thanks, gentlemen, for nudging me along here. I contacted NIRVC Lewisville this morning and they said I'm within the Spartan 3-year warranty period. Whew. Taking it in Wednesday for Spartan's mandatory "pressure check." Nothing like the "pressure" though I'd have been under from DW if we got stranded on the highway after a blown radiator!
Spartan has been accepting just a picture of the rear lower radiator corner showing leaked fluid. They did for mine and others have reported just a picture sufficed. If you see leaked fluid ask Spartan. Might save you a trip while the radiator is shipped to the repair shop.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #26

Xtechgeek, Have you checked to tighten the radiator clamps. Mine did this and the clamps stopped the "hot" leak. Has been ok for the last 6000 miles.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #27

Radiator leaking red coolant

Noticed a little red fluid on the ground today after pulling out. Where is the radiator located?
Thanks!
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtechgeek View Post

Thx Cory
Your coach is not 4 years old. When did you have Spartan pressure test it, and why? Was it leaking then? If you have the paperwork on the test, EVEN IF they could not duplicate the leak at the time, you have an established paper trail that shows that you felt there was a leak when (possibly) it was still under warranty. Now it has gotten worse. They should still fix it under warranty IMHO.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, radiator