Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 07:14 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. This AM, without the sun shining in my eyes, I was able to see a small wet spot on the bottom right corner when looking through the fins. It's about the size of a quarter and has a leaf stuck to it, so made it hard to see. I filled my expansion tank yesterday morning, which took about a quart of fluid. Last night before bed, the sight glass was about half full. This AM it's empty. Not sure if that is any indication of how big the leak is. Of course all this happens on a weekend when everyone is closed!
Many auto parts use to loan or rent pressure testers. Might need a NAPA that will have one for truck size fill necks. It takes only a couple of minute to pump up the radiator to pressure to see where the leak is coming from. If not, any truck shop can do the test.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 07:25 AM   #16

That bottom right corner, when looking through the side vents, was the CLASSIC exact place most of us found wetness and the first signs of our leaks on our coaches.

Sadly, the bad radiators were routinely installed in all Anthem, Insignia, and Aspire coaches from about 2013/2014 up through 2017/2018. Spartan kept putting them in until their stock was depleted. Even bad radiators under warranty were replaced with equally bad radiators as the new repair. Many of us had two bad radiators replaced.

Some people had them repaired..... most had them replaced.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:36 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. This AM, without the sun shining in my eyes, I was able to see a small wet spot on the bottom right corner when looking through the fins. It's about the size of a quarter and has a leaf stuck to it, so made it hard to see. I filled my expansion tank yesterday morning, which took about a quart of fluid. Last night before bed, the sight glass was about half full. This AM it's empty. Not sure if that is any indication of how big the leak is. Of course all this happens on a weekend when everyone is closed!

Mike,
Did all of the coolant you put in last night leak out or just a little (small puddle)? If not, you should be fine driving to LV. If you want to be safe and have time, the Cummins shop should be able to test your system and at least give you a prognosis. Also, you might want to call NIRVC Las Vegas to confirm the can replace your radiator. Other wise Rush Truck Center in North Las Vegas is huge and works on various chassis’s (not sure about Spartan). Specialty Vehicles (south side of Las Vegas) is/was a Spartan certified facility. They replaced our surge tank on our previous 2016 Anthem.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #18

Ours is currently in the shop at NIRVC Atlanta for the radiator replacement. I initially saw some wetness a couple months ago and tightened the lower hose clamps. Seemed better. We then left Georgia and made a trip to Maine. At the campgound in Maine I added a quart of antifreeze. Upon arriving home in Georgia, I could see a wet area abount 4 inches in diameter in the lower corner and added another quart of antifreeze.
I would add antifreeze as needed and go on to NIRVC.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
Mike,
Did all of the coolant you put in last night leak out or just a little (small puddle)? If not, you should be fine driving to LV. If you want to be safe and have time, the Cummins shop should be able to test your system and at least give you a prognosis. Also, you might want to call NIRVC Las Vegas to confirm the can replace your radiator. Other wise Rush Truck Center in North Las Vegas is huge and works on various chassis’s (not sure about Spartan). Specialty Vehicles (south side of Las Vegas) is/was a Spartan certified facility. They replaced our surge tank on our previous 2016 Anthem.
Yes, everything put in yesterday AM is gone as of this AM. I didn't add anything last night, just noticed the sight glass was half full.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:51 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Mike,

Mine went in the fall of 2020 when heading to Vancouver Island from Ontario. I wrestled whit the same questions and in the end elected to continue on to our winter destination (another 1200 miles) from where the leak started AND then returning to a friends place in Saskatchewan in the spring of 2021 (another 1200 miles) to do the radiator change out myself.

In all I added about 4 gallons of antifreeze during the leak. One additional point to keep in mind if the leak gets worse you have a low level sensor on your surge tank that will alert you with a dash message if the fluid gets down by more than about 1 gallon.

Good luck.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #21

If you know you need to replace the radiator anyway just put several tablespoons of pepper in it. That will stop the leak and get you home. Old Jeeper trick that usually works. Don't use it for a loose hose clamp. I'd replace the radiator as soon as I could but I do know guys who have run this repair for months.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
If you know you need to replace the radiator anyway just put several tablespoons of pepper in it. That will stop the leak and get you home. Old Jeeper trick that usually works. Don't use it for a loose hose clamp. I'd replace the radiator as soon as I could but I do know guys who have run this repair for months.

This is an old school repair trick. Use ground black pepper from the grocery store.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:59 AM   #23

They may look tight but…..Get under there and tighten those upper and lower hose clamps. Changing temps will loosen them.
Hose off clamps, hoses and radiator, let dry, then re-assess the condition.

Easy to get a hose split at the clamp.
Hoses are proprietary to Spartan. About $300.00 for the lower one.

If it is the radiator, make sure they replace all the hoses.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #24

Just to follow up.. I decided to take y'all advice and drive it. I put about a quart of fluid in before I left and watched my temp gauge like a hawk. It stayed mostly around 198 degrees and only jumped up to 205 when going up a long hill. Upon arrival I checked the expansion tank and the sight glass was full.
Arrived in Pahrump where I'll stay until my Monday appointment at NIRVC in Vegas. From there we'll see about how quickly I can get this one swapped out. Spartan says the cost of a new radiator is $2,572 but will show me some goodwill and sell for $1,303 plus tax/shipping. I didn't ask about new hoses but will. Thank you everyone for your input!
Mike
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:52 AM   #25

Glad you made it
Always a relief to not be stuck on the side of the road in any vehicle
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:29 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Nice that Spartan helped you out on the cost, you were very fortunate.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:50 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Great that Spartan padded the cost for you and you are getting closer to a resolution.

Just a note about the sight glass. Obviously the coolant will expand significantly at engine temperatures,
but also if your daytime vs night time ambient temp range is fairly wide, the antifreeze will noticably expand and contract even without a leak or running the engine. I did the calculation once, forgot the exact numbers, but given the large volume of coolant in the system, say for a 40 degree ambient temp swing (which wouldn't be unusual in the desert), it is a surprisingly large variation in volume.

While parked, I have often observed the AF level near the middle or bottom of my sight glass in the early AM and it will be totally covered in the afternoon just from the change in ambient temp.

Just saying your sight glass will only be an accurate indicator of fluid loss if you compare levels when the coolant is around the same temperature.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mike,
One other thing to check is the inside neck of the expansion tank for rust. Spartan replaced it on our previous 2016 Anthem under warranty. The weld between the neck and tank was prone to rust which in the long run would cause a leak. Not sure if Spartan fixed this on the 2017s.

Tags
radiator