Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 05:53 PM   #1

Radiator =my turn

Walked around the coach today and found a puddle of radiator fluid on the ground. Put about a quart of fluid in and that filled it. I'm about 45 minutes East of Reno. Any suggestions on what to do now?
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 06:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could be the overflow tank, but if you are sure it is the radiator, Bar's Stop Leak will get you home.

Mike in Colorado
Old 09-24-2022, 06:16 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Check hose clamps on all hoses . Look above were puddle was found . I had same thing and found hose clamp loose at hose into rad . No problem or leak since . Nice to be on concrete to notice leaks both rad and hyd .
Old 09-24-2022, 06:42 PM   #4

Hoses look fine. Front edge has the drips. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220924_162214.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	377272
Old 09-24-2022, 08:06 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Mike,
Look through the air intake grill on the radiator with a flash light and look at the bottom of the radiator core and see if it is wet. If the radiator is failing itís usually in a corner.
Getting into fall with cooler night time temperatures these small leaks show up and go away after warming up.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long is the hose from your overflow tank ?
I lengthened mine so if it overflows I can tell that's all it is.

Mike in Colorado
Old 09-24-2022, 10:09 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mike, We had the same radiator leak as many others on the forum in our previous 2016 Anthem. The leak generally appears as the radiator cools down, but at operating temperature it is fine. Our leak happened in 2016 on PEI, Canada. I called Spartan and they told me to monitor and keep the radiator topped off. As it happened, we had an appointment at Spartan for Spartan Academy after the Canada Trip. So we continued driving and topping off the radiator. Spartan replaced the radiator (2X because the first replacement leaked also). You should be fine to get home to Washington and then arrange for a replacement at your leisure. However, if youíre headed west, Sacramento Truck has a very good reputation. Safe Travels!
Old 09-24-2022, 10:50 PM   #8

I looked at the radiator through the fins and everything looked dry. I didn't think I was going to get hit by the radiator bug as my coach is a 2017 built on a 2014 chassis (with a 2013 engine). There is a Cummins Coach Care shop 35 mins from where I'm staying in the Reno area. Funny thing, I was on my way to NIRVC in Vegas to get my AC zone 1 replaced and my V1 Rettrobands replaced. They are 6.5 hour drive from here. Just curious, would you take a chance on the 6.5 hour drive thru a bunch of desolate land or go up the road 35 minutes to Cummins? I have no experience with Cummins.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:56 PM   #9

Well at least the temps have dropped out here and itís not over 100. Honestly depends how bad itís leaking. If you roll the dice bring enough to refill your coolant system and the stop leak. If they are going to replace your radiator once you get down here anyhow the coolant will be used. Depends how comfortable you are breaking down with no phone service.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Mike,
Look through the air intake grill on the radiator with a flash light and look at the bottom of the radiator core and see if it is wet. If the radiator is failing itís usually in a corner.
Getting into fall with cooler night time temperatures these small leaks show up and go away after warming up.

Richard
Funny, I spent 5 nights in Bend where the night time temp was 35 degrees, no leak. I drive it to the Reno area where the night temp is 55 degrees - puddle. Ugggg... Not wet when looking thru the fins.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Funny, I spent 5 nights in Bend where the night time temp was 35 degrees, no leak. I drive it to the Reno area where the night temp is 55 degrees - puddle. Ugggg... Not wet when looking thru the fins.
==============================================
Open your radiator cap to the first position.That will keep the pressure lower.
Our surge tank cracked and we lost most of the coolant in it,I did that to my radiator cap and have driven 350 miles so far.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:51 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
With the original radiator failure, I noticed mine around KS. Stopped at Walmart and bought another gallon of Peak Final Charge. Continued on to CA. Toured all the way up to WA, then all the way back to FL and only used 3/4 of a gallon of coolant. Back then the radiators were failing so fast, there was a month waiting time for a new one, so I continued on with our trip.
If it's not leaking that bad and you are on your way to NIRVC, extra coolant and go for it. For piece of mind, might want to have the radiator pressure tested and se how bad the leak is. A pressure test only takes a few minutes.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:28 AM   #13

When mine on my 15 Anthem failed, SPARTAN's advice was loosen the radiator cap on click (removes the high pressure (be careful!!! Do this when cold !!)), watch the engine temp on the dash like a hawk while moving, check the level frequently after stops long enough to not get scalded when working with the radiator cap, buy more Final Charge Coolant, and keep moving on to my next big city with a Cummins repair-shop.

Cummins shops are excellent. Know what they are doing, work competently They got the radiator for me and was back on the road in several days (was allowed to be in coach during repair).

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #14

Thanks everyone for your input. This AM, without the sun shining in my eyes, I was able to see a small wet spot on the bottom right corner when looking through the fins. It's about the size of a quarter and has a leaf stuck to it, so made it hard to see. I filled my expansion tank yesterday morning, which took about a quart of fluid. Last night before bed, the sight glass was about half full. This AM it's empty. Not sure if that is any indication of how big the leak is. Of course all this happens on a weekend when everyone is closed!

Tags
radiator