Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2021, 05:55 PM   #1

Radio & Cruise malfunction...

Traveling up Rt.23 in lower Michigan headed to Dundee (Cabela's) we encountered a pothole the size of a small meteor crater, quite common in Michigan!
Right after hitting the hole my radio began to automatically scan thru the channels and making a beeping sound. We turned it off as I figured I would look at it later, continuing up the road i went to activate my cruise control and it will not activate, no green symbol on the dash, no activation. We arrive at Cabela's, I opened the generator compartment to look for any signs of a problem i.e. disconnected cables, etc. and found nothing. We then turned off the "Salesman's switch for 10 minutes to reset everything, turned it on, started the Coach and now the radio played fine until.... I went to turn on the cruise as though I was going to do a fast idle and wouldn't you know it, the radio began it's previous beeping and scanning in addition to the cruise not activating. I have called Entegra C/S, Spartan and Coach-Net... Coach-Net responded and suggested that it could be a loose ground, chassis battery connection, speed sensor on the wheel, or something behind the dash/radio that has come loose.

I've never seen this issue posted so wouldn't be surprised if most of the responses were.... "Let us know what you found , when it is fixed".
Hopefully it's something simple and easy!
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Check the steering wheel switches and wiring on the right side of your steering wheel.
Les1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

Les,

You may be on to something... my wipers, courtesy passing light switch, (above wiper buttons) marker light switch (above cruise buttons) and horn do not work.
All the fuses looked good, and the wiring from what I could see looks ok.
Any other ideas you can think of?
Old 05-20-2021, 03:34 AM   #4

Sounds like a bad “clockspring”. It’s a cassette of wiring behind the steering wheel that allows the wheel to turn
Joenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #5

Do you have a Smart Wheel control box in your electrical compartment ahead of the road side front tire? Top right in the back.

You can do a reset of it by unplugging its wires in sequence....small to large, then plug in large to small.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #6

Guys,

Thank you for the responses! I spoke to Spartan this morning (Rep. - Mike Flowers), he sent me a PDF of the procedure to do a "hard" reset on the SCM of which I have attached in the event someone else may need it. I started looking at trying it but I don't have a 4mm hex to get the screws out, in addition, if anything went wrong, which has been known to happen, I don't want to become a short term Employee of Cabela's while in their parking lot waiting for a real mechanic Once we get to Cleveland the Coach will be stored until September 10th and then our 1st stop will be Spartan for a 5 year service being completed, I can have them repair it at that time.

As an aside, it does make sense that the radio was impacted as the two small paddle switches on the side of the wiper switches are also integrated into the radio to control channel selection and volume.
Either the SCM or the clock-spring do seem to be the go to causes, so we'll see in September.

Thanx again!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SCM Reset .pdf (369.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 11:57 AM   #7

A bit of an update...

We arrived at Spartan yesterday for our Service and had them take a look at the malfunctioning switches on the steering wheel. They were able to fix all the operations of the switches except that the radio now has no volume/audio at all, the indicator showing volume increase/decrease works along with the mute/unmute but no audio. Spartan sent a higher level Tech. (Nick) out to diagnose but he could not find the issue. I had also called Entegra this morning, shut down the 12V system and did a reset on the radio itself to no avail. We will be at Entegra on 10.21.2021 for some minor repairs and hopefully they can figure out what is wrong.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Just a suggestion, if a pot hole was hit that hard to knock all o fthe electrical loose, I would also be concerned about the front end alignment. I would not have Spartan check that, I have not been successful with Spartan alignments.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #9

Thanks Chuck,

I'm not noticing any pulling or difference in the ride since that time, I do keep a close eye on even tread wear across the face of the tire using a tread depth indicator, and if need be I could visit Josam's in Orlando or another reputable tire facility in the Port St.Lucie area while down in Florida.

Tags
radio