Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
RAM-A-CAN Cup Holder Ipad Mount in Entegra?

Has anyone tried a RAM-A-CAN Universal Cup Holder Mount in the cupholder on driver's left by the toll window? It looks like it will be a good way to mount an iPad without screwing or glueing a RAM base to the dash if it will fit tightly in the Entegra's cup holder.

Thanks,
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Not to sound stupid.... but why would you want an Ipad by the driver? Hopefully the driver is driving and not tweeting or looking up something! The GPS can go on the TV above you - the backup camera stays on the bottom screen all the time, you can have music playing, if you choose. All that happening while driving ... what do you want an Ipad for while driving?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
No two GPS units ever agree on the best route - I've run two for the last couple of years and find that approach very effective - not distracting for me as I keep the sound muted on the secondary and use it for a "second opinion" and for alternate data screens. I've been using a Garmin RV760 along with the Rand McNally app on the iPad. With the Entegra I'll try the builtin nav (Rand McNally?) and MotionX GPS Drive on the iPad before deciding whether to do a hard mount of the Garmin.

I also find the mounted iPad handy at stops to quickly check weather ahead and to select future fuel and food stops. (And no, I don't tweet while driving...).
Old 04-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
I also find the mounted iPad handy at stops to quickly check weather ahead and to select future fuel and food stops. (And no, I don't tweet while driving...).
Got it ... thanks for clearing that up. And I do agree with you on the GPS thing. I've gotten to where I print off directions and check those when we stop if I'm driving ... or if my DH is driving then I'll check them in the passenger seat. GPS can sometimes send you places you don't want to go!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
... I do agree with you on the GPS thing.
I'm no longer surprised to find the two disagree, and are both wrong. A heads-up driver with GPS assist is the best solution.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I guess you can take the guy out of the cockpit, but I still like my storm scope radar.

I run the Raindar App on my tablet while we are traveling. Nothing like seeing the live weather ahead on a 10 inch screen. It has saved me more than once that is was time to pull over early for the night. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....Raindar&hl=en
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #7

Ron - Not using the Ram mount but have cup a holder mount with a Surface Pro 3 for my Silverleaf VmsPc/Pressure Pro TPMS. The one I have wobbles just a bit but the Surface Pro is pretty heavy. I just got my coach and haven't decided if I'm going to use the cup holder or attach the suction cup to the window or get a smaller tablet. I had the Surface Pro when I bought the Tiffin and really needed the Silverleaf and bigger tablet with that coach. You couldn't see most of the instruments or the light bar. I really like the low, left hand mount though………easy to see and doesn't obstruct the mirror at all. Here is the link to the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Adju...p+holder+mount
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
jb4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Yep Chuck - I can get weather radar on the Garmin RV 760 tethered to it's app on my iPhone, but the weather radar apps on my iPad are much faster and more readable.

And John, I agree that the low/left/forward position of that cupholder will make a great starting point for the RAM adjustable arms and iPad mount that I already have - I'm gonna order one when I'll be in one spot long enough and I'll report back.

Thanks for everyone's help on this.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Looking forward to your report as I might want to do the same thing, but I wonder about how the RAM-A-CAN will work given the step down shape of our cup holders.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:36 PM   #10

Ron - Let me know if the Ram mount fits in the cup holder without a wobble. I might change mine out if it's pretty sturdy.

Thanks!
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
jb4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
That's the real question - will it be solid enough. When using a long enough arm combo to get the iPad in a good position in my current coach, the weight of the pad out on the end of 12" or so of arm creates a fair bit of movement with a RAM ball base screwed firmly into my dash, so worried that the RAM-A-CAN base may just be too wobbly if I can't use a shorter arm combo.

I will follow up after trying it.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:43 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Looking forward to the report on the holder. What size is your ipad? I am also looking for a holder as I have mine just sitting on the console.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #13

I use the RAM-A-CAN mount for my 7" tablet, running my VMSpc. It woorks very well, but had to slightly modify the ears that secure the tablet. They weren't quite strong enough. Might just be a over protective user
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #14

With my previous coach, we had three GPSs running all the time, an old StreetPilot 7" screen, a Rand McNally 7720 (both on the dash), and a Garmin auto style GPS in my wife's lap. I watched the two big screens and my DW became the master (after some initial resistance) of the Garmin. There were many times that all 3 disagreed, and only one of them was right, and sometimes, all three made no sense. I have found that I ALWAYS consult my Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas (your most valuable information source). I use the motor carriers atlas to show me "commercial big rig truck approved roads" (which are in red) and then use that to get the big picture of where we are likely going to travel. Those roads are approved for big rigs (13'6" minimum clearance)(which most of us need if we don't want to bang the antennas on the roof). If it appears there are any black roads in the route (common), then I consult the low clearance table (also in the Atlas), and pay particular attention to each underpass. As an aside, I have been least impressed with the Rand-McNally RM-720 for coaches, as it usually has the strangest routings of all.....

I use the Atlas for the big picture and then step through the turns of the GPS routing of each of the three (now two) GPSs and compare what they are telling me, but always using my judgment as the default. What I want from the GPS is turn-by-turn warning of what I am doing on the route that I know is best, and early lane guides to know what lane I need to be in 1.5 miles before I need to make the turn, but the turn-by-turn has to match my Atlas "big picture". If I doesn't, then I ignore the GPS and follow the "big picture". A GPS will occasionally take you on the most amazingly inappropriate route to get somewhere simple so I never trust it by default. Foreign tourists have blindly followed their GPS down railroad tracks and bridges, and into rivers by believing their GPS routing.....

Occasionally, my iPAD Google maps, or the Apple maps is the absolute best routing of any of the GPSs, so there would be an interest in what you find with the cup holder. I would have it down near the cup and refer to it only occasionally so a long boom would not be my first choice.

One GPS is like having one clock.... You are absolutely convinced that it is the wrong time many times....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote