Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Rand McNally

There have been many threads regarding upgrades to our RM GPS so if you've already gotten this info please disregard. On the recommendation to uninstall then reinstall the Dock program, I did so. It still told me my device is up to date. However when I put the SD card back in the RV upon opening the GPS says it has not been upgraded for over a year.

Frustrated I called RM. After a few minutes of questioning I came away with this information. The last upgrade was in April 2020. She could not "confirm nor deny" whether management was never going to upgrade, but we (customers) would receive an email if that was the case or if it does get upgraded. She then walked me through deleting the Navi.cfg file from the SD card (something I could swear I did a year ago!). She said that would delete the message on the screen; but of course no upgrade would have been done, just won't get pissed every time I see it.

She also told me I could "tell RM" about new roads and highways so they could evaluate the info for their next update; can you spell circular file?

Not real satisfied but at least I got fairly straight answers. I'll keep using it for the features I like and Google maps right next to it just in case. I still get taken weird places now and again, but the same happened with my Garmin. I like Gary Jones's idea of using a real road atlas also but often times DW's interpretation and mine don't agree causing more problems

My best bet here is just enjoy the ride, don't be in a hurry and enjoy the scenery
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
There have been many threads regarding upgrades to our RM GPS so if you've already gotten this info please disregard. On the recommendation to uninstall then reinstall the Dock program, I did so. It still told me my device is up to date. However when I put the SD card back in the RV upon opening the GPS says it has not been upgraded for over a year.

Frustrated I called RM. After a few minutes of questioning I came away with this information. The last upgrade was in April 2020. She could not "confirm nor deny" whether management was never going to upgrade, but we (customers) would receive an email if that was the case or if it does get upgraded. She then walked me through deleting the Navi.cfg file from the SD card (something I could swear I did a year ago!). She said that would delete the message on the screen; but of course no upgrade would have been done, just won't get pissed every time I see it.

She also told me I could "tell RM" about new roads and highways so they could evaluate the info for their next update; can you spell circular file?

Not real satisfied but at least I got fairly straight answers. I'll keep using it for the features I like and Google maps right next to it just in case. I still get taken weird places now and again, but the same happened with my Garmin. I like Gary Jones's idea of using a real road atlas also but often times DW's interpretation and mine don't agree causing more problems

My best bet here is just enjoy the ride, don't be in a hurry and enjoy the scenery

You forgot one thing: read the road signs --- just like the old days.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
JMO, but the best thing to come along is being able to mirror the overhead TV to my phone and the real time WAZE app with live road condition updates. The RM has become my backup, it's always running, but WAZE has been much more accurate in the past year.

Just last month RM was going to take us 5 miles out of the way to get to Markham Park in Ft Lauderdale, Waze took us right to the front gate. Thankfully I Google Earthed it before and knew the RM was wrong.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
You forgot one thing: read the road signs --- just like the old days.
Big cities rely on cell phones and Google Maps and don't install many signs anymore.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

I don't understand RM's position of being so evasive about the status of their motorcoach GPS system. Seems counterproductive, but the correction to your problem is the same as I heard about a year ago. Strange. However, I still upload my updates and corrections every trip.

However, I always have WAZE, Google maps, a separate GARMIN AUTO-type GPS, Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas, running in addition to my in-dash RM GPS plotting my course. With all of that information, if there is a disagreement, then the in-dash RM GPS is the one that we follow as it is the only one that factors in my weight and height etc. etc. into its plots. It has never been wrong in my opinion, although the two times that I have gotten into a situation that was not good, I am pretty sure that I was the one at fault as I misinterpreted what I was being instructed to do.

And Chuck, I would bet that you crossed over a bridge where you were over the weight limit without knowing it.... those other routing systems don't care about your weight or length or height and may well get you there more directly, but not necessarily more legally. There are times where the RM is NOT the most direct, but my belief is that they are safe and comply with laws.

I could be wrong, but its never gotten me into trouble.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I don't understand RM's position of being so evasive about the status of their motorcoach GPS system. Seems counterproductive, but the correction to your problem is the same as I heard about a year ago. Strange. However, I still upload my updates and corrections every trip.

However, I always have WAZE, Google maps, a separate GARMIN AUTO-type GPS, Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas, running in addition to my in-dash RM GPS plotting my course. With all of that information, if there is a disagreement, then the in-dash RM GPS is the one that we follow as it is the only one that factors in my weight and height etc. etc. into its plots. It has never been wrong in my opinion, although the two times that I have gotten into a situation that was not good, I am pretty sure that I was the one at fault as I misinterpreted what I was being instructed to do.

And Chuck, I would bet that you crossed over a bridge where you were over the weight limit without knowing it.... those other routing systems don't care about your weight or length or height and may well get you there more directly, but not necessarily more legally. There are times where the RM is NOT the most direct, but my belief is that they are safe and comply with laws.

Gary
Easy to do when you're consulting five sources! Just sayin' [emoji6]
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #7

Old 12-02-2021, 04:56 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

Gary
That would be impossible, Markham Park backs up to I-75. RM says to take the first left at the correct intersection coming off the off ramp, which takes you in a circle. Waze states to take the second left, which is correct taking you right into the entrance.. That is not the first time with RM so I do not put my faith in it as much as I do Google products.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:37 PM   #9

Gary

Gary
Old 12-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Big cities rely on cell phones and Google Maps and don't install many signs anymore.

Google and RM ran me around in circles in NC but good old road signs saved the day. Just sayin. And I don't think your statement is accurate, over the last 10 years I've seen even more, not less.

In some states there seems to be a lack of signage but that has never stopped us.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:12 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
Google and RM ran me around in circles in NC but good old road signs saved the day. Just sayin. And I don't think your statement is accurate, over the last 10 years I've seen even more, not less.

In some states there seems to be a lack of signage but that has never stopped us.
It was a joke complete with laughing emoji. I think an emoji is a sign?
Old 12-06-2021, 05:40 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
If I relied on RM, I would never get home. There's a bridge near my house that RM thinks I'm overweight on. The bridge was replaced and even before that was fine for big rigs to pass over.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:24 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglee25 View Post
If I relied on RM, I would never get home. There's a bridge near my house that RM thinks I'm overweight on. The bridge was replaced and even before that was fine for big rigs to pass over.
No matter what I set my RM to, there is always an overloaded road or overpass warning. We have made a couple of trip to Ft. Lauderdale. The RV Park is 1 block off of the 1-75 off ramp. RM tells me I am overloaded to get there and the 1 block is part of the on ramp to go west on 1-75. The RM for me has been fine for highway navigation, but it has failed me more than once, after I leaving the highways. Usually it is several blocks out of the way so all turns are right turns.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
No matter what I set my RM to, there is always an overloaded road or overpass warning. We have made a couple of trip to Ft. Lauderdale. The RV Park is 1 block off of the 1-75 off ramp. RM tells me I am overloaded to get there and the 1 block is part of the on ramp to go west on 1-75. The RM for me has been fine for highway navigation, but it has failed me more than once, after I leaving the highways. Usually it is several blocks out of the way so all turns are right turns.
Yep, exactly what I see too.

I usually just default to Google maps on my phone. Maybe one day Google will allow us to input weight and height??