Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Rand McNally GPS

Can someone tell me the model GPS unit being put into the 2015 Cornerstone please? and are you happy with it?
I believe the current model on their website is the 7730. I've used the 7710 and wasn't really impressed. Hopefully the newer models have been improved. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 06:21 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
There is member on irv2, Sam McNally, that is an employee of Rand McNally and he said to use the 7720 for the computer updates when loading the chip with the updates and maps.

I am getting use to the RM, but it sometimes wants to go a VERY weird way for a large rig GPS. Last week I had to go the VA Hospital in Tampa, instead of the GPS taking the direct way to the Hospital, it wanted to weave 9 miles through town down traffic. Not really big rig friendly in that case. It did the same thing going to Entegra factory...34 miles on narrow farm roads instead of a straight shot up 31 which is a nice 4 lane.

However, the one installed in the Entegra is a big improvement over my neighbors 7710

I still double check the paper map and bought a Garmin for the side window that has all of my 22,000 RV POIs loaded in it. I need to try to transfer those over to the RM....maybe today's project.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The version is not ID'd in either the Owners Manual for the GPS and The XCite System. The on the dash implementation identifies the version as 3.56.2922.1315 (4292). The title on the documentation is "Rand McNally RV GPS Navigation and Routing for RVs".

The implementation is similar to the 7720 we have on our iPad, but came out later, so it may be the 7730. Just doesn't say.

As far as use, it would appear to be best suited if you ID in the preferences PRECISELY how you want to travel. If you have "shortest", you can rest assured, if it 0.1 shorter, that is how it will take you, no matter what the road (unless you have other preferences stated). JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #4

I have a 2015 CS - but can't locate the exact model number. I will say that it is better than the Tom-Tom from my previous MH. Loading updates and custom POI's are a breeze.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
bcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
The version is not ID'd in either the Owners Manual for the GPS and The XCite System. The on the dash implementation identifies the version as 3.56.2922.1315 (4292). The title on the documentation is "Rand McNally RV GPS Navigation and Routing for RVs".

The implementation is similar to the 7720 we have on our iPad, but came out later, so it may be the 7730. Just doesn't say.

As far as use, it would appear to be best suited if you ID in the preferences PRECISELY how you want to travel. If you have "shortest", you can rest assured, if it 0.1 shorter, that is how it will take you, no matter what the road (unless you have other preferences stated). JMHO
Regarding the Shortest vs Fastest setting. My experience with Rand McNally and Garmin software is choosing Shortest will often send you on surface streets while Fastest will often send you on highways. After I was sent over almost every surface street in a smallish town trying to get to a Flying J truck stop, I checked my settings on my Rand McNally and I was routed via highways from that point on. I have a Garmin GPS also and when I set the same destination as the RM, but the Garmin is set for Shortest, I get routed on highways by the RM and over surface streets by the Garmin. This routing comparison is only true if there are multiple routes (surface and highway) available.

As is always true, Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you all! I will definitely be updating my paper maps and making sure the navigator boss has her reading glasses handy.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
My RM is set on fastest route, not shortest. It still gives goofy directions when going to a location off of the main highway. It is a nice GPS and I do like it, just don't have a 100% confidence in it. Nor the Garmin for that matter, I still double check the routes.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Lesson learned - under the Freeway option (Allow all - default, Avoid Freeways, Prefer Freeways, or Avoid Small Roads), I had incorrectly selected Allow All. I hadn't scrolled down far enough to see the "Avoid Small Roads" option. BIG mistake. Now we use Prefer Freeways. BTW - I changed the voice to a man's voice and call him Randy Router. I've also learned to verify with Google Maps.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I have had some strange experiences with my Ran McNally as well. In upstate ny it took me down a road that had a 5 ton weight limit. Fortunately, it was only for about a mile with no bridges. I had it set up for "mostly freeways" and it wanted me to go 342 miles between Burlington, Vt and Lake George, NY. After I reset it to fastest, it was 105 miles! Granted, a lot of 2 lane highways but, very manageable Sometimes you have to "massage" the settings a bit.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Video of the new $400 Rand McNally 730 GPS by a professional truck driver.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
I have had some strange experiences with my Ran McNally as well. In upstate ny it took me down a road that had a 5 ton weight limit. Fortunately, it was only for about a mile with no bridges. I had it set up for "mostly freeways" and it wanted me to go 342 miles between Burlington, Vt and Lake George, NY. After I reset it to fastest, it was 105 miles! Granted, a lot of 2 lane highways but, very manageable Sometimes you have to "massage" the settings a bit.
I think that is one of the reasons why people seem to have so many issues with the GPS and their RV travels. They do not tweak the preferences and the second one that comes to mind is that several people use an auto GPS in an RV situation. I am not saying that you can't use a true auto GPS but IMO you stand a beter chance of success with an RV/Truck GPS. YMMV
wva3185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wva3185 View Post
I think that is one of the reasons why people seem to have so many issues with the GPS and their RV travels. They do not tweak the preferences and the second one that comes to mind is that several people use an auto GPS in an RV situation. I am not saying that you can't use a true auto GPS but IMO you stand a beter chance of success with an RV/Truck GPS. YMMV
Agree with you about the prefs maybe not being set correctly for what the operator wants to do. As BETHLL noted, that setting for "Prefer Freeways" makes a difference.

FYI the GPS we are talking about here is an "RV" model with settings for height, weight, length, etc. Having said that it still sometimes wants to route you the stupidest way for a big rig, although so far it has never tried to take us under a low bridge.

We always run a second GPS and when they disagree we stop and review the routes. If you have ever taken a boating navigation course they teach that the nav electronics are just tools - your paper, pencil and gray matter are the most reliable instruments on board, no different here. Review your route for the day before you leave and ignore the GPS when it makes a dumb decision - it will recalculate and it's feelings won't be hurt. Prior to departure we often use Google Maps & Streetview to look at things like road quality, questionable interchanges, etc.

Also the campground destination position in the Rand is not always accurate. Trust the written directions provided by the campground if available vs. the GPS route.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Also the campground destination position in the Rand is not always accurate. Trust the written directions provided by the campground if available vs. the GPS route.
That is the same thing we ran into last week heading to the KOA across the street from the St Petersberg VA hospital. The direct route from KOA was spot on, the RM wanted to take us through downtown on US 19 which is horrible traffic wise. While taking the direct route....the GPS still wanted us to double back to US 19 which was way out of the way.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
For anyone currently using the Rand McNally GPS, I was wondering if you are able to input a new destination or change current destination while in motion, or is this feature locked out until the brake is set?
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps