Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Angry Rand McNally GPS Built-in or Stand Alone Question

From a former Entegra owner-me.
Have any of you Entegra owners found out what is wrong with Rand McNally map updates yet?
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
That's a good question as it has been a long time since they have posted any updates.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #3

There was an update reported just a couple of months ago.... early summer or spring. I downloaded it and it is working fine.

What specifically are you wondering about?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know if ours has updated the map portion. It has added some construction areas, but it has been awhile.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #5

I updated mine two weeks ago , i used both the integrated and external .. Not to much faith on the rally as it had a few detours that was much longer than my external Garminm. If i have a question then i zoom into google maps as a spot check .. not perfect , but it works that way for us.
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #6

On longer trips I always carry my Garmin 760RV with the current trip preloaded. It always works while we have had many issues in the past with the RM stuff including the built-in in our coaches.

I sure wish Xcite would get real with this.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
There was an update reported just a couple of months ago.... early summer or spring. I downloaded it and it is working fine.

What specifically are you wondering about?

Gary
Gary, I have tried to update my Good Sam Rand McNally GPS for over a year using the RM Dock on my computer. My GPS says it has not been updated for over a year on it's display. In addition, every time when I try to update maps on the Dock, the Docks says I am up to date when NO update has taken place for a long long long while. And this has been long before the Covid-19 situation.
rljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Having the same issue trying to update ours. Finally got someone in RM CS to listen - most just emailed me instructions on how to use the update utility - and they suggested uninstalling the software from our computer and then downloading it again. Haven’t tried it yet so I can’t tell you if that will cure the problem, but that’s the only suggestion I got that made a little sense.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Had the same problem (the Rand software wouldn't update). Called CS and the solution was to delete a file on the card (in my case, it wasn't the software on the computer (Mac)). In any event, the solution did work, and we got an update. Not that it helps much. 2 yo roads don't show up.

We use a Garmin 770 GPS in addition to the RM unit. When they are in conflict, I nearly always go with the Garmin, unless I really know the route for sure. Doesn't hurt to double check these gizmos with paper, either.

The Garmin is also about 10x faster to input a destination or a CG into. The Garmin user interface is much, much superior to the Rand's. The Garmin folks make first-rate aviation products too...I think their experience with nav products is waaaay deeper than Rand.

That said, the Rand has some advantages---for one thing it shows the mile marker you're at on a highway.

There is a thread called: Rand McNally SD card update
that might have the file that needs to be deleted (rather than being on hold with Rand McNally).
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #10

I had the same problem on my Cornerstone.... it would not update and routinely told me that it had not been updated in "forever". As the previous poster said, I was told by RM or RiverPark to get the SD card out and look in the Garmin files and delete a single fill off the card. I cant remember the name. But RM told me exactly what to delete and as soon as I deleted it, then I successfully downloaded new maps for the first time. If you dont get the name of the file from someone else, give RM or RiverPark a call and they will give you the file name quickly. That is your solution, I'm pretty sure.

Gary
Old 07-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The file name is navi.cfg and will be found in one of the subfolders. You need to mount the SD card on a PC and use File Explorer to find the file and delete it.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
This is a very long thread but some where in the last couple of pages are the detailed instructions. As Gary mentioned once the steps were followed and the file deleted it did successfully download.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/ran...t=rand+mcnally
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #13

Thanks Ed.... that is the file to be deleted.

Gary
Old 07-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rljacobs View Post
Gary, I have tried to update my Good Sam Rand McNally GPS for over a year using the RM Dock on my computer. My GPS says it has not been updated for over a year on it's display. In addition, every time when I try to update maps on the Dock, the Docks says I am up to date when NO update has taken place for a long long long while. And this has been long before the Covid-19 situation.
Mine was doing the same thing.
I updated it recently using the procedure in the last thread on this. There was a file on the card you had to delete, and then the update would run.
It's still far from perfect, but it no longer complains about a year without a map update
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps