Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 04:00 PM   #1

Rand McNally GPS Locking up

Has anyone had problems with their Rand McNally GPS Maps locking up? We contacted Riverpark and they sent us a new SD card, but still having the problem. Contacted them again and they said we "probably" needed a new antenna which is $79 plus shipping. They said we can't just replace the old antenna, we would have to re-run the cable and suggested we just put it on the dash. Not wanting to do this with a cable hanging from the box to our dash we would have NIRV install the new one, but haven't checked the cost to do this. Our problem is that we don't want to go through this expense and the darn thing may still have the same problem.
mwwessels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
What year coach? Several different installation configurations over the years.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We have had the same problem for years. Ours completely locks up no can guarantee you it has nothing to do with the antenna it is a software issue. I got tired of the issue so I use it as a backup and I went to Walmart and purchased a 10Ē android tablet for $100. I downloaded free truckers gps apps which I love much better than rand McNally
Old 07-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #4

Wessells

You need to describe much more clearly what you mean by the word "LOCK-UP"

What problem are you having,,... what are you doing when it does happen and what does it prevent you from doing or using or seeing when it locks uo? Help us here with a clearer description. I've used one now for about 7 years but not sure how to analyze your problem

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:15 PM   #5

Yes, mine locks up on me in the middle of trips 2-3 times, Iíve updated the software doesnít help we use another GPS device anyway plus my phone plus Iíve mapped out on an atlas, so I just let it unfreeze and catch up to the other onesÖ.Iím not gonna spend money or a system I donít really trust anywayÖ
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
What year coach? Several different installation configurations over the years.
2017 Aspire. Spoke to Entegra today and they said there is a magnet holding the antenna behind the radio, to pop the front off and check to see if the magnet has come lose. Will try that before ordering a new antenna.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Wessells

You need to describe much more clearly what you mean by the word "LOCK-UP"

What problem are you having,,... what are you doing when it does happen and what does it prevent you from doing or using or seeing when it locks uo? Help us here with a clearer description. I've used one now for about 7 years but not sure how to analyze your problem

Gary
By "locking up" I mean that the map freezes. We have to power off, then on again to get the map current with mileage, distance, etc. This really gets annoying because it happens about every 10-15 miles, so if it said 30+ miles to the next turn we wait to power off and back on. We usually end up using our phone for our GPS.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #8

YES_
Exactly as described above. YES!
Motang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:00 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same problems on my 2014 Anthem. I even replaced my XCite unit with another unit bought from someone on the forum. I started noting a correlation between heat and lock ups. I talked to Riverpark Tech support about my suspected high heat caused failures and they more or less laughed at me. I bought a 12v PC cooling fan to install near the unit and I would wire it to the ignition (mirror heat sw) and have a simple on/off switch. I ended up replacing the unit with a Kenwood that had a much bigger fan for cooling and it worked flawlessly for 4-5 years until I traded it. I still have the fan. This 21 DutchStar has the XCite unit running Rand McNally. I’m prepared to install it but this Newmar dash seems to have better cooling than my old Anthem. IMHO
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:27 PM   #10

Dave ..................................... so you think it WAS heat related or you now don't think it was heat related??

Gary
Old 07-31-2021, 04:32 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
This is where the year of the coach is important. The 17 had an overheating problem because of where the GPS unit was located. Several people had to add fans and vents to the over head cabinet for cooling to stop the units from locking up Later years the GPS head was moved below the dash. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/nav...em-345085.html

There are several good post that can be found in the search function on cooling mods, some with photos.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:38 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Dave ..................................... so you think it WAS heat related or you now don't think it was heat related??

Gary
Yes, I believe the lock ups and lack of response to commands were caused by heat. My plan was to add a PC cooling fan inside the dash to blow air conditioned air towards the wimpy nickel sized fans on the back of the XCite unit. Part of my theory is based on driving a lot in southern states with high heat and only having failures in the summer. I’d love to have data on people up North on their failure stats vs Southern states. IMHO, XCite units had or still have inadequate cooling.

If I have problems on my 21 Newmar I plan on doing this. A PC fan can be bought for under $20. It can’t hurt anything. So far, not needed.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:59 AM   #13

OK, then yes, I understand. As others have said, there have been heat related failures due to inadequate cooling. And yes , there have been several threads on cooling fan and vent solutions that were pretty neat in past years.

Now, I line in NW Louisiana and for the past year have been using my coach every three weeks to get some treatment in Dallas so have done a lot of travel when it is blistering hot down here while traveling.... (no wonder the South was seen as sluggish before air conditioning, I don't know how people got anything done 5 or 6 months a year down here!!!! .... Good Grief) Now on my 19, with "brain" unit under the faux wood panel in the dash, no lock ups ever. Just for comparison, with control unit above the driver seat in front cap, also no lock ups ever in three years.

Gary
Old 07-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #14

"Check Suspension" message on dash....

A buddy of mine (Ditto) is experiencing an error that everyone denies ever seeing before (Spartan, Entegra) and it is an error message that says "Check Suspension". Not sure why Ditto hasn't put it out here on the list, so I am posting it. Spartan says "Never heard of it" and that is the story at Entegra also....

Anyone else seen this one and know the answer?

Sorry - I meant for this to be a new separate thread....

Gary

Tags
gps