Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
If the Xcite would integrate Car Play or Android Auto, that would be a huge benefit.
I sure hope the "Xite update with new enhanced graphics" will include this on the 21's, it long overdue.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Just curious, has anyone with this model Rand McNally GPS setup been able to upgrade their GPS in the last 18 months?

Thanks, Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
I just ran an update on mine. It shows the same software version and dock version that Dewey showed on post #5. It 'updated' 147 files, said I was up to date and the same version numbers were displayed. So did it update 147 files or just write over them with the same info?

I haven't put the SD back in the coach yet, not sure what to look for when I do, but I did this last year with the same results; and noticed no difference in the maps. Construction areas that had been completed for several years were not up dated.

Has anyone talked to Entegra about this problem?
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Chevy wanted $129. to upgrade the maps in my GPS. Why? I never use it. If I want an address, speak it into my phone and I am on my way with live traffic reports and detours if needed. Plug the phone in and it's on a 7 inch screen. Could be the GPS company's are not to swift into updates if those that have to pay for it are passing.

I use the RM, but always have WAZE running on something for real time traveling. I trust WAZE more than RM but do check RM for allowable routes.

The new jeep is close to 600
Old 02-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
Ouch. It looks like Jeep is not selling any updates and making up for it for the few that do want updates.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw8602 View Post
Just curious, has anyone with this model Rand McNally GPS setup been able to upgrade their GPS in the last 18 months?

Thanks, Brian
I have tried three times in past year or so the latest being today. The RM Dock tells me mine is up to date. No update available. Very strange.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
Ram pickup is $150. I would think Jeep would be same gps as the Ram.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Funny. This thread now proves I’m not crazy, well sorta

I liked to use RM because it was easy to also show on front tv. I’ve always used CoPilot on my iPad mounted on my dashboard. But I was frustrated when RM said I had the latest update and I knew that couldn’t be right.

I now use CoPilot on my iPad and Trucker Path on my iPhone. Then using Apple TV, I mirror Trucker path on the front tv.

Now both DW and I know where we are and how we’re going to get where we’re going
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:13 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
I've learned to not trust the Rand system and have my Garmin 770 RV unit on the dash in addition to the Rand. A couple of days ago the Rand was telling my "turn! turn!" and the Garmin was showing a perfectly fine route. We kept going, and the Rand showed no road whatsoever underneath me, the Garmin, of course, was fine.

It's a stretch of ring road (I 140) around Wilmington, NC. Google says it opened in December of 2017. So three years later it still hasn't made it to the software database. And this is not some minor suburban street--it's a major US highway.

I got the "latest" Rand software a few weeks ago. The site doesn't actually say what the latest software is, or the release date, or anything. I asked tech support (via email) and they ignored my question. So we might be orphaned...
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #24

I always use Google Maps and use a Samsung tablet so I can broadcast to the Samsung TV. Google is up to date including traffic and wrecks in most cases especially using Waze.

Never trust RandMcnally. Need to have the Google Play and Iphone capability on the radio and forget the built in nav....
Old 03-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #25

Glenn

I beg to differ with your conclusion. As I have previously posted in this thread, I ALWAYS have at least one additional GPS unit running in the coach (usually held by the DW)(and often also WAZE or Google on my phone where I can see it), but RM does something that none of those other sources does..................... It factors in your coach height, your coach length, and your coach weight. Therefore, at least in my coach, if both GPS (or all three or four) show a path (and the road), then the RM is the one that is usually followed and the Garmin and Google and WAZE get ignored. The LAST place I want to find myself is facing a "too low" underpass (that has happened now to me 2 times even with the RM saying I was OK (I tickled the overpass with my antennas)). Now, a trucker's Garmin (I have an old one but it is old and really big and no place to easily mount it) would be OK as it considers your size and restrictions. Following the "car" GPS blindly will definitely get you into very tight turns, city streets, tree covered suburban streets, streets that are too small or congested, and over culverts with a 2 ton weight limit (go over those REAL FAST ).

Rand McNally needs to be updating their software and we need to know why they are not, but a $125 car Garmin is not your "savior"....?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #26

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just called RP and he said there is a major update coming out later this week. He suggested I call back next week to get that one.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #27

Has anyone used the free app Truck Map. I use that in conjunction with Google Maps and so far it has worked for me, albeit with limited trips so far.
CaptVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #28

Using a Garmin 770 as our primary but can tell you they aren’t bullet proof either. Programmed for coach specs still put us in a situation I would not want again.
Pre planning with our truck atlas is probably safer in the long run.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote