Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #57

Re-Fueling the Anthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
This is what I used to read up on the CDL. Then I practiced a lot, and took the driving test.
Arm yourself with the right stuff

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

The link will help.

http://www.online-cdl-test.com/cdl-h...ual/index.html
The maneuvering section will help the most. Here is the manual I used
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV.../PUB%20223.pdf

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
We all have to decide what makes sense for us in the situation we find ourselves in..... However, my sense is that a lot of people don't understand what they are paying for the convenience (and a lot of times, its not a convenience at all).
Gary, you made some very good points. I am going to try your way and see how it works out for me on my next trip. I think with the use of the Truckmaster Fuel Finder website that Stu recommended, it may be easier than I anticipated. The savings you pointed out would be nice to have. Thanks.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #59

I talked to Pilot Flying J yesterday on the phone to clarify one point. You remember that my original issue was that I found a place where I bought in excess of 100 gallons of diesel at a PFJ operation on the ring road in Houston. When I tried to use the card outside it did not work (more and more truck stops are not accepting any credit cards outside at the pump except their own cards). When I gave my card to the teller inside and got the diesel at full price, I asked her why and she said "We don't honor the PFJ RV card". That meant that I paid the full credit card price which is the highest they list and a good $50-$80 more than I expected to pay. So I asked the 800 rep yesterday why that happened and he said that not all PFJ truck stops are owned by PFJ and gives the 7 cent discount and some of them are only "dealers". A dealer only buys diesel from PFJ and uses their signs but is not otherwise related to PFJ. So the next question was.... how can I tell which PFJ is only a dealer and not likely to offer the PFJ RV-card discount rather than a company owned stop. He said there really is no way other than to call them before, or ask them when you get there. I said surely there is a list somewhere on the web and he said that it is not updated and stations move back and forth from company owned to "dealer" status with some frequency. He said that on some lists you will see "D" after the listing and that means dealer.

Now, the rep yesterday was a straight up sort of guy and I said "So, you want me to either call everyone before I arrive and clarify this, or get off the interstate, find the PFJ, wait in the truck line to get to the pump, and then go into the desk and ask if they are a dealer or a company owned operation and honor the 7 cent discount before I decide if I am going to buy 100 gallons of diesel", and he laughed and said "Yes, I guess" So, I have just discovered yet another reason I am not likely to try my PFJ RV discount card at a truckstop than I was the day before yesterday.... Actually, yesterdays conversation means, to me, that the card is completely worthless except in some emergency.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, the loss of a 7 cent discount on a 100 gallon purchase is $7, not $50 pr $80. Hardly an earth-shattering loss. I wish you would have asked him what proportion of their stations do not honor the discount. Personally, I have never encountered one so I tend to think it is a small number of stations. For $7 I can take my chances.

I think your point about the difference in posted prices is much more meaningful.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #61

Mark

You STILL dont get the point that I am making.... Yes, I just lost a 7 cent discount below cash price. That is not a lot. But the cost of a gallon of diesel is probably 15 to 20 cents more costly at the truck pumps out back than it is at the same station out front. So, if it is a loss of 7 cents "discount" at a 15 cent higher per gallon price than buying it out front, then to me at least, it is a loss of 22 cents per gallon. Then by not using my PenFed card which gives me 5% discount out front (compared to the PFJ card out back), I am losing an additional 13 to 17 cents a gallon more, so that is lets say 30 cents a gallon total. Now add in that I can buy it across the street for 10-30 cents a gallon even below a truck stop's "front pumps price" and you end up paying a lot more than you have to pay. I can't explain it any better. That's my final try. If you want to routinely pay $50 to $70 more than you have to pay (or that I am paying) for the same diesel, that is certainly your prerogative. I give up. No more......

Gary
Old 04-24-2016, 07:37 AM   #62

Entegra Owners Club
Yup. I'm done too. Neither of us needs an argument, nor do the other readers. Thanks for your candor, and God bless.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #63

Re-Fueling the Anthem

Gary, point proven.
I pay for tires with the diff in 7 years.
How many know that turning without taking advantage of the tight wheel cut, and steering knowing that the front tires are under or slightly behind the driver, that slow and gradual turning may work for cars but not a MH....?
These rigs have the tools to effectively maneuver the same as trucks, busses, etc!
Fear can become confidence

Old 04-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #64

I must have an old Granfathered card called frequent fueler advantage. At pilot flying j it gives me cash price minus 3-4 cents, but I still use the Penfed credit card to pay.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #65

Noel

You may have. There have been several iterations over the years. The current card is the "PFJ RV Plus" card and is the one they are "pushing". Consulting their web page, you see that the discount is off of the cash price, but only at the truck pumps out back (does not provide a discount at Austo-RV pumps out front). The discount level depends on your status with GoodSam.... If you are a regular member, you are Tier 1 and your discount is 6 cents per gallon on diesel, if you are a "Deluxe" GoodSam member, then your discount is 7 cents..... if you are a life member of GoodSam (who knew?), your discount is 8 cents and I'm guessing if you are GoodSam himself or his direct descendants (!!), you are tier four which is 8 cents (Except for Tier 4 - I'm serious!). However, PenFed is definitely one of the cards that is your ticket to real savings. However, at more and more places, you can't use it (or often any other non-truckstop issued credit card) out at the truck islands.

I am sure it is hard to recoup the losses of some guy pumping 400 gallons on a fake credit card.

Gary
Old 04-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #66

This is what Noel I believe is referring to,,,,pump start card,,,,swipe then gas up, then go in and pay with credit card.

Good Sam Club
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #67

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't go to Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
...and I said "So, you want me to either call everyone before I arrive and clarify this, or get off the interstate, find the PFJ, wait in the truck line to get to the pump, and then go into the desk and ask if they are a dealer or a company owned operation and honor the 7 cent discount before I decide if I am going to buy 100 gallons of diesel", and he laughed and said "Yes, I guess"
Hi Gary,

First, I'm not quibbling about your math, nor am I questioning your selection of fueling stations, I offer this only as an alternative to your suggestion of a method to differentiate between the "owned" PFJ's and the "dealers".

Here's a link that shows all the fueling stations that bear the PFJ logo and the locations of the "dealer" stations: http://webcontent.goodsam.com/goodsa...ide%202016.pdf

Pages 64/65 show a map of the USA and the "dealer" stations are the black dots.

It's interesting, to me, that most states have no "dealers", some states have a few "dealers" and Montana has no PFJ's that aren't "dealers" (NO DISCOUNTED fuel in Montana - unless you use your PenFed card ).

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #68
PhB

Jayco Owners Club
And the good news is...

...you're all driving the quietest riding, best handling coach on the market today. Period.

While some of us are still stuck in our little cubicles doing things we have to do when we'd rather be one of you.

Enjoy each of your travels and many safe miles for those of us who can't yet.

Looking forward to meeting each and everyone possible on the road in a few years in my own rig.

I am grateful to each of you for my education on the lifestyle and industry.

PhB
Old 04-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The link will help.

CDL Manual | 2016 CDL Handbook | CDL Study Guide - FREE
The maneuvering section will help the most. Here is the manual I used
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV.../PUB%20223.pdf

Dave,
You only need a class B endorsement in Pennsylvania. You take the driving test but no knowledge test.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #70

Re-Fueling the Anthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
Dave,

You only need a class B endorsement in Pennsylvania. You take the driving test but no knowledge test.

That's what I did. But reading the manual taught me even more. Knowledge is power, and safer.

Tags
fuel