Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Rear cap separation

Just like the title says, the rear cap on our 2013 Anthem is separating from the joint to the coach on the right side. The fiber glass cap has pulled away from seam at the very bottom for over 3 feet upward. The bare fiberglass of the cap is visible as it pulls out from under the molding that covers the joint. Daylight is visible thru the gap at the bottom of the coach as well as broken out screw holes in the area of the joint. NO, I did not drag the cap or clip anything to dislodge it. Yes, it got progressively worse over 3000 miles since I noticed a stretching of the RTV at that location.

Discussions with CS and factory service imply this is not "unheard of".

Repair seems simple enough at the factory. Remove molding, loosen attaching screws, reseat cap and re-attach with appropriate screws. Reattach molding and (gulp) paint repair. On my dime. The 5 year structural warranty does not cover the cap joint as it is not deemed structural."

If I just left it alone until the gap is big enough to cause the wind to rip the entire cap off I wonder if it would qualify as "structural?"

CS has been very helpful (aside from lack of warranty support) and has recommended repair at S&S since they do the paint repair at the factory even on factory cap mechanical repairs. To expedite repair S&S will fit it in ASAP and do both the mechanical repair and paint if I drop the coach off at their facility near Middlebury which is 4.5 hours from here. And leave it several days/weeks depending on their schedule.

Just something else to keep an eye on!! I'll post results...

Any one else had this happen/happening?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have not heard of this happening lately on either the Entegra or Newmar boards. I had something like this happen to my 1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer when it was a little over two years old. I brought it back to Monaco in Elkhart and they agreed that it was covered under warranty and fixed it better then new. If you are the original owner, I would suggest asking Entegra to reconsider their original position if taken back to factory service center and they can confirm that it's a failure due to a manufacturing defect and not misuse-- that's what Monaco requested of me. I am confident Entegra will do the right thing.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

second owner

Thanks Mike. I am surprised this item has drawn little attention as it is certainly not new news on Entegras based on Entegra CS and S&S(who contracts Entegra paint repair onsite). The factory attitude is that it is a perfunctory repair. Hopfully when S&S takes the joint apart thy can confirm that the factory did not attach correctly and Entegra will step up with some help. They have been very lenient in the past on out of warranty failures. But I imagine that well will be drying up as our coach ages. That is one reason I am taking I to Elkhart for S&S to repair since they have daily communication with Entegra and can see it first hand.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
First I've heard of it. Not sure what kind of attention your looking for. It seems like if it something that was common, it would be all over the forum. I hope that Entegra will step up and take care of it for you. The S&S guys are really good.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

I had it happen on my rig. Lucky for me I found it while at Entegra. Repair did not take long and no paint required.

Tony
2014 Anthem 44B
2011 Honda CRV
Old 11-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

S&S and Entegra to the rescue

We just picked our Anthem up from S&S. They completely peeled the molding back on the RR of the coach where the cap attaches to the side wall. Entegra missed with some of the screws holding the cap to the sidewall which caused the eventual separation. S&S communicated the info to Entegra and Joyce stepped in and agreed to cover the complete repair despite being out of warranty. S&S did an excellent job realigning the cap on the right side and dramatically reinforced the joint by adding aluminum strips with structural adhesive behind the factory joint to overlap after the screws were properly installed. Replaced the molding and touched up the paint strips on the molding. Looks better than new!!

S&S also buffed out a stray scratch I had picked up on one of the cargo doors. Like it never happened. My fault/my dime!

S&S also replaced the chewed up slide roller on the passenger side front slide. Aftermarket extended warranty agreed to pick this up.

All my costs were very reasonable and S&S was comfortable with billing Entegra directly for the cap repair.

Kaci at S&S did a great job answering my many phone calls and coordinating all the activities to keep on our schedule since the factory could not fit us in. Thanks to Mark for patiently listening to my many questions and coordinating the cap repair and communication with Joyce and Entegra.

A huge thanks to S&S for their patience and excellent work. I would highly recommend them for any body/paint/mechanical work you need.

And another huge thanks to Entegra for stepping up and covering the costs of the repair once they saw the joint pulled apart and the failure analyzed.

Happy campers are we!
Old 11-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #7

Thanks for posting! Sure nice to have a company step up and accept financial responsibility even after warranty when they would not have to. Another example of Entegra doing it right.

2016 Cornerstone 45B
Formerly 2011 & 2013 Anthems and 2015 Cornerstone
2014 Lincoln MKT towed
Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 AM   #8

Bruce from S&S did a nice job on my paint defects when I was in.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #9

Gentlemen:
Could you please give me details on S&S, Address and phone number. Sounds like a facility that knows motorhome body work.

Larry D (Deeds)
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
Gentlemen:
Could you please give me details on S&S, Address and phone number. Sounds like a facility that knows motorhome body work.

Larry D (Deeds)
This is the contact info I have:

Mark Becker, S&S Automotive
574-862-7924
FAX 574-862-7925

Home - S&S Automotive Restoration & Collision, LLC,auto repair
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote