Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 06:02 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Rear Sea Lights

Has anyone tried to clean out the dirt and debris in the rear sea lights? How hard is it to remove them without breaking?

Gary S.
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe, M&G Braking, Blue Ox Avail
gswindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Gary,

First, I've not tried to remove mine, so, I can't offer an opinion based on personal experience.

When I took my '18 in for the end of warranty AIR and correction of deficiencies, I asked that the flaked off clear coat from the front "C" lights be corrected. When I did the initial walkaround inspection with my service adviser and tech team, we chatted about the "C" lights. They agreed to fix the front, white lights. When we got to the rear of the coach, we observed that there was dirt inside the red "C" lights. One of the techs commented that it takes a significant degree of care to remove them without permanent damage.

When I picked up the coach following completion of the AIR and repairs, the red "C" lights had been cleaned.

So, it seems that they can be removed, just be careful. Also, it might be worth balancing the benefit of cleaning with the challenge of replacing one if you were to damage it during the cleaning process.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #3

It’s tough to get them off without breaking the plastic tangs.
One guy on here took his whole assembly out and sealed it. The lights will fit fine with a plate over the big opening with a hole just large enough for the wires. I also had mine sealed and very little can get in the lights.
I ask the factory to stop cutting the fiberglass out and just drill a hole for the wiring, but they said they needed to get in that area to seal the air intake. I’m not sure I agree with that logic, but so far they haven’t stop cutting the whole piece out.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Gary,

First, I've not tried to remove mine, so, I can't offer an opinion based on personal experience.

When I took my '18 in for the end of warranty AIR and correction of deficiencies, I asked that the flaked off clear coat from the front "C" lights be corrected. When I did the initial walkaround inspection with my service adviser and tech team, we chatted about the "C" lights. They agreed to fix the front, white lights. When we got to the rear of the coach, we observed that there was dirt inside the red "C" lights. One of the techs commented that it takes a significant degree of care to remove them without permanent damage.

When I picked up the coach following completion of the AIR and repairs, the red "C" lights had been cleaned.

So, it seems that they can be removed, just be careful. Also, it might be worth balancing the benefit of cleaning with the challenge of replacing one if you were to damage it during the cleaning process.

Take care,

Stu

Well, we are here now for our AIR starting tomorrow. I have my front sea lights on the list. So we will see if they might clean the rear ones.

Gary S.
2017 Chevrolet Tahoe, M&G Braking, Blue Ox Avail
gswindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #5

They cost $300 for the pair—FYI.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswindle View Post
Well, we are here now for our AIR starting tomorrow. I have my front sea lights on the list. So we will see if they might clean the rear ones.

Gary S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbjuneau View Post
They cost $300 for the pair—FYI.

That's a big part of the reason I was reluctant to try to remove mine for cleaning. If Entegra happens to damage one during a procedure that they're doing, it's not unreasonable to expect that they'll be responsible for the damage/replacement.

Do it yourself and you'll fall into the "You break it, you buy it" category.

It seems like a really good idea to try to get Entegra service to do that cleaning job.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have dirt / something dark in my rear C lights. I was hopeful the removal procedure would be easy. I have been afraid to try removing them.

My front C lights are fairly clean.

If I need some serious work done by Entegra maybe I will get my rear lights cleaned at that time.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #8

Just a thought: when we were in Middlebury last year, a tech (don't remember who) suggested using a plastic auto trim panel removal tool for the tabs on the light panels. I haven't tried that method, but would seem to be a good idea... Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG88 View Post
a tech (don't remember who) suggested using a plastic auto trim panel removal tool for the tabs on the light panels. I haven't tried that method, but would seem to be a good idea...
Might it be a good idea to be sure that the tabs are warm for the attempt. I'm not sure that I'd go full on with a heat gun, but, a hair dryer might warm the tabs enough that they're less prone to breaking.

Good luck to anyone who tackles that task.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #10

Warming the lens area is a great idea, Stu. I have tried to pry off the front lens a couple of times with a trim tool but it’s really too hard to get a good bite on it near the tabs. I can just tell it is about to break the tab. I want to add Boogie Lights inside the C lights to match lights under the coach because the white C lights are just too bright. I am thinking now maybe a dimmer would be a lot easier and safer!
I have also considered going in the back of the C lights through the generator space. There are 8 long bolts holding each light fixture to the body. Some of those bolts would be really hard to reach - especially trying to reinstall. So the dimmer is looking even better!
GrandPaPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #11

Middlebury AIR told us they couldn't take them off without breaking them. They replaced two, left two they didn't think were dirty enough.
drwaynesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
I have dirt / something dark in my rear C lights. I was hopeful the removal procedure would be easy. I have been afraid to try removing them.

My front C lights are fairly clean.

If I need some serious work done by Entegra maybe I will get my rear lights cleaned at that time.
I did mine and it is a challenge, I broke one tab and they are dirty again, and will stay that way.

Tags
light, lights, rear