Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2021, 09:19 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Rear/side view cameras terrible

My 2015 Aspire's rear & side view cameras seem to not have night vision. They are clear during the day but useless at night. The monitor seems like a very low budget one. I'll attach a picture of the monitor. Has anyone swapped out their system with one that has good night vision and is a direct plug and play with no wire splicing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Monitor.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	350265  

with Beamer and Rusty
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I canít tell you specifically what equipment to buy but I can point you in a direction, Rearviewsafety.com.
The wiring between the cameras is reusable, itís standard just unplug and plug in new cameras. Itís standard 4 pin wiring. Then you will need a new monitor. That will not be plug n play but pretty straightforward.
From 14 to 17(?), Entegra supplied a particularly bad camera system with the only solution being replacement. It also didnít help that they used a cheap (not hd)170 degree view camera at the rear! Almost impossible to see the hitch particularly with old people eyesight!
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also try www.rvcams.com
Old 12-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I never use the sideview cameras anyhow because the mirrors do a much better job. To see the camera you have to take your eyes off of where you are going and look down at your monitor, whereas to use your mirrors you look in the direction that you are going. I think showing a sideview on your monitor is worthless or maybe even worse, because it takes your attention away from where it should be.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I never use the sideview cameras anyhow because the mirrors do a much better job. To see the camera you have to take your eyes off of where you are going and look down at your monitor, whereas to use your mirrors you look in the direction that you are going. I think showing a sideview on your monitor is worthless or maybe even worse, because it takes your attention away from where it should be.
I agree. In addition, when you do signal and the camera pops up, there is a slight delay. By that point, the turn has already been initiated.

I prefer to the the rear camera on at all times. It helps me see the toad and traffic to the left or right when I pass.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Also agree. On my 14, the side camears were purple so I shut them off. Along with what Marc said, I lock the review camera on the 21 that has the 360 degree cameras while traveling. The side cameras are to distracting traveling, but great for parking in tight spots
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglee25 View Post
I agree. In addition, when you do signal and the camera pops up, there is a slight delay. By that point, the turn has already been initiated.

I prefer to the the rear camera on at all times. It helps me see the toad and traffic to the left or right when I pass.
And when that happens you no longer have your rear view camera which is nice to confirm you are passed the vehicle on your right when passing.

I would like to be able to turn off the side view camera function so that I maintain rear view when the signal is on but not sure how to go about that.

And of course even if I wanted to use the side view cameras they have such a wide angle view they are essentially worthless anyway - theres no way Id rely on that picture before to change lanes. More a gimmick than anything IMHO.

Fortunately I have a good rear view camera that even works well at night and to enhance that I mounted an LED flood/spot/flood on the rear cap. My factory back-up lights are fairly feeble, but this thing lights up everything I need lit.

Not sure how other drivers feel about it but its only on when backing. You can see the light bar in this pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1902E23-C00E-45F0-AF78-E544F5F54AEC.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	350299  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
On my 14 Anthem the lower display is rear view 100% of the time and radio display switches to side view on signal activation.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #9

I also agree. The side view cameras are complete bling junk. They show you nothing that you cannot see with your two side view mirrors and I totally ignore mine.

Now, the rear view camera is the exact opposite and very useful for the safe operation of your coach. I drove semis and safely returned to the right lane tbousands of times with only the mirrors (but truckers helped each other with the standard light flashing habit to help the driver in front of them make the right decision).

Forget the sideview cameras, and concentrate on getting a good rearview camera. The camera used on the 19s is a great camera.... I'd check into whether that camera is an exact replacement electrically.... ?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #10

My '17 aspire I have some control over that display.
I can set it so my choice of the 3 cameras is on all the time.
So all three are full screen and switches view when a turn signal is on.

And split screen (which is what I use) rear view is normally full screen.
Turn signal on view is half the screen on that side, other side still rear view.

There are 3 buttons along the top edge of the monitor, hit them to cycle between modes.

My rear camera is actually 2 cameras side by side in the same bracket.
There is a rocker switch on the center dash to select rear view or hitch view.
When I first bought the coach, the aim was way way off, one of my first mods was to aim the camera unit properly. Though the holes were slotted there wasn't enough adjustment to get it right. I "lost" one of the screws and put the one I kept in the other hole to get more adjustment. Works perfect and hasn't fallen off or moved in 5 years.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

Forget the sideview cameras, and concentrate on getting a good rearview camera. The camera used on the 19s is a great camera.... I'd check into whether that camera is an exact replacement electrically.... ?

Gary

The side cameras are certainly of questionable value, but the
19 rear camera is a Total Vision camera. It is an adjustable camera which means itís a 5 wire harness. An additional wire would have to be run for it to work.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:44 AM   #12

Donít use our side cameras much at all but the rear camera- could not drive without it, along with mirrors.
Buried in the menu, there are some camera settings/preferences.
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
And when that happens you no longer have your rear view camera which is nice to confirm you are passed the vehicle on your right when passing.

I would like to be able to turn off the side view camera function so that I maintain rear view when the signal is on but not sure how to go about that.

I tapped the rear camera cable and installed a rca male connector. Then plugged that connector into the video feed of the radio. That way I have the rear camera on the radio all the time and the monitor is free to switch with the turn signals. The camera cable is 4 or 5 wires. Red- Power, yellow-video, black-ground. Peel back the sheathing on the wire, find and tap the yellow and black wire.
Old 01-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I contacted the folks at www.rvcams.com. They did not have anything that I could plug and paly as a replacement/upgrade. I imagine I could just cut and splice but really don't want to go that far yet. I use my mirrors mostly because the monitor placement is really too low.

with Beamer and Rusty
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, rear, view