Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, the Cornerstones sure like their DEF. The Walmart DEF is so convenient and available everywhere, that I don't see the point in doing it any other way. Not worth the additional hassle to save only a couple of bucks per fillup.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I refilled the same 2-1/2 gallon jug for 30,000 miles...but I never stopped long enough to worry about crystallizing...

I suppose if you park it or store it for several months, I'd possibly worry more.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Just thinking out loud here, but would not a few crystals of dried urea go back into solution as soon as the jug was refilled at the pump? We don't rinse out the DEF tank on the motor home when we add new fluid and it is just a fancy oversized Walmart jug.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsantos View Post
I could swear I've never seen DEF at Walmart for $7~, but obviously I didn't look hard enough.

Look harder. wM sells THEIR brand DEF at every store I ever been in and it is ALWAYS $7.88 for 2.5 gallons including a nice long extension nozzle to pour into tank on coach. Just bought two jugs yesterday in Attleboro, MA.
Sometimes they don't display it on the auto dept shelves, but they will go get it from the back if you ask. That is what I had to do yesterday. To my surprise he brought out a 3 jug case, but had to remove from box at checkout to scan each jug.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsantos View Post
I know you're talking about a pickup, but my Cornerstone uses 12.5G of DEF (roughly) every 2 tanks, or about 1000 miles. I'm sure I'm not the only person that hates this stuff, but it's so frustrating. I own a trucking company that runs local trucks, and filling the DEF up in the yard every night is easy enough. Filling up on the road, even stopping at a WM is annoying. The DEF tank gauge in my Cornerstone also seems to be inaccurate, it'll go from 2 green bars to screaming at you in a very short period.

I'm going to do as suggested here, and just wash out the containers with distilled water and refill them. As long as there is no crystallization, it seems very low risk.

Thanks for all the replies.
Yeah the 600 isx uses quite a bit, but 12.5 gal every 1000 miles is excessive. That's a gal. in 80 miles. Mine uses a gal every 180-200 miles and I thought that was high. I just drove 1050 miles, partly in Co. mountains over 11300 ft. Monarch pass and used slightly less that 5 gal. and 7.8 on fuel mileage.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
During our 8000 mile wedding trip in June, I used refilling jugs for about half the trip. Never had a problem during the in between times when a Walmart wasn't in the plan. When it was, we bought (because we were staying there, and at $1 more than at the pump, who needs the hassle. But when your low and at the pump, I found it real easy to fill four jugs to tie me over to the next Walmart. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #35

I have a Mercedes Sprinter Chassis coach and i always spill the DEF when refilling. I just found this spill proof filler hose on Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filler-Hose-...QAAOSwTuJYrGJ-. It screws on to your DEF tank and has the spill proof, push type, Kruse filler and other end fits standard US 1 and 2.5 gallon containers or has the adapter for Euro containers like from MB, VW etc. I refill and use the Kruse 1/2 gallon bottle to top off the DEF at home, but I was looking for something that would make it easier to fill the DEF tank on the road. I can carry this and buy a gallon anywhere when I want to top off, fill and go. Makes life a lot easier.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
The Walmart jugs each come with a filler hose that works fine for me.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #37

I used to refill DEF bottles. I did save a few bucks too, BUT I'm afraid to do it anymore. Here is what I learned. First off, DEF never goes "bad" it just looses efficacy. As it looses efficacy you use more and more of the fluid. The second thing I learned is the crystals aren't really a problem. There is an internal filter that will not allow them to pass through into the DEF injector. The real issues is contamination. I don't remember exactly, but something 1 ppm will stop your motor cold. And the cost to steam out the tank and lines and refilling with fresh DEF will negate any savings you thought you were getting.

I use Wally World DEF.
Just my opinion.
darjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
def

the big 600 hp cummins are 4% engines meaning they use 4 gals of def to 100 gals of fuel.you spend all that money for an Entegra and worry about 10 cents,live life, you can't take it with you. Just me