RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 10:57 PM   #1

Refrigerator Dilemma

Many of you are probably aware of the appliance shortage that our country is facing. More than likely not a catastrophic issue but one that will affect many new coach owners.

The french door refrigerator that is normally installed in the new Entegra luxury lines is apparently on national back order.

I am sure Ted and the crew at the factory will find a resolution to the material short fall they are experiencing. In the mean time, many prospective owners are faced with a choice on which model they prefer or will accept.

Water and ice in the door is a luxury that peaked my interest in the Entegra line and probably sold the deal for me. I have owned a 2007 Newmar 4307 DS as well as a Jayco North Point 377RLBH so I am not new to the RV liferstyle. Both had icemakers but only one in the door. I enjoy having water and ice in the door but not a deal killer. Having a double door refrigerator is probably a bigger selling point than the in door services.

In order to take delivery of my coach when expected I will probably need to allow the altered order.

I am confident that when the specified refer becomes available I can install the specified unit in the coach and sell the other unit. I will be out some cash but at the end of the day I am fixing an issue that Entegra has no impact on the result.

I am ready to hear your opinions on this issue and even more ready to hit the road and meet you in person.

Have a blessed day!
pstroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2020, 01:23 AM   #2

We are having issue find a fridge to buy for S&B. I cannot imagine buying in bulk at this time.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:09 AM   #3

Stroke

What coach are you buying that is having this problem, or are all of the various lines at Entegra having the same problem? The ice in the door is very nice and has been standard since I bought my first Entegra coach in 2015.

Frankly, I have never heard of a refrigerator shortage and wonder where that all developed? Is this supposedly a problem with COVID and supply lines? Wonder what part of the supply line is the problem? Do you know anything more about this problem and its supposed resolution?

When do you take delivery of your coach?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Following the same situation on Facebook. One one person in your situation, walked away from $25,000 and canceled his order over the refrigerator, how nuts! He had an $11,000 tax savings on his trade in which is now gone, and the 22 models he was told, would have a large increase in price. There are two on this forum that I know of that had LG's installed in there brand new coaches after delivery. One had his purchased and sitting at home waiting for the new coach. Enjoy the coach and get the refrigerator you want when they come available.

My garage freezer needs replacing, I was informed by Lowe's not until the end of the year. When the pandemic started, people hoarded food along with toilet paper. Lowe's told me they sold out of refrigerators and freezers over night when the hoarding started. Whirlpools are made in Evensville Indiana, as we know, all of Indiana was shut down for almost 3 months including Entegra and Whirlpool.

I have another hobby I am involved with. Due to the pandemic, 4 months back orders are common. People do not realize the demand and world wide shutdown has created unbelievable shortages for many items. Make the best of it and continue on enjoying life.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:04 AM   #5

Wow, I had no idea that new coach purchasers were facing that problem.... !!!

Of course, the pandemic has produced a lot of hoarding. I have enough disinfectant alcohol and hand sanitizer to last me several years. It may be nuts but I feel I am prepared for some of the things that are needed for life for the next 18 months. I bought through industrial sources rather than retail outlets so I felt less guilty about my neighbor's needs, but I think that some specific supplies are going to be needed for a whole lot longer than many people seem to realize, but I just never gave any thought to refrigerators and freezers. Wow..... makes sense, but had no idea that was going to be a problem....

We worry enough about what we are going to find has been added (or removed) to a new coach that was bought "sight unseen", but it never crossed my mind that I might have to deal with no, or no great, refrigerator.

What are the options that people are being given? Surely, a Norcold is not one of them....

Gary
Old 09-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
According the report on FB, he was first offered a bottom drawer with no water and ice in the door. He came on Facebook complaining and holding out for a refrigerator that does not exist from the advise he received on FB. He changed his mind and decide to take the no ice and water in the door.......to late those are all gone. The choice now is a plane jane side by side...he walked.

There is a shortage of RV's nationwide and a shortage of appliances. This buyer was going to dictate what he was only going to accept with a shortage of both. Good luck with that.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you are buying a new rig I'm sure you want it the way it was originally spec'd, but these are tough times and who knows when things will normalize. As previously mentioned, this is an international crisis so it may be a while before the appliance your want becomes available.

Not sure how Entegra is to deal with but one option may be to ask if you can source your own refrigerator and have it delivered for delivery. Just have to make sure the size profile fits. If they agree just start shopping.

AJ Madison has a good filter that allows you to select by size, brand, and type. They offer free delivery.

Just an out of the box thought, they might be willing to work with you just to take the burden off of them.

FWIW, replacing the refrigerator after you take delivery won't be an easy or cheap option. The windshield will probably have to be removed to make the swap. It will probably cost more for the labor then the actual cost of the refrigerator.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, just shopping for a freezer last week, there are no other sources available. Lowe's told me they get their appliances from the same Warehouse as all the other dealers. Only thing they have available are small apartment size units that don't hold anything. Any larger unit are all on back order. Someone might get lucky, but from what Lowe's informed me, I don't know how. I went ahead and fixed my freezer until new units are available again.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Jim, just shopping for a freezer last week, there are no other sources available. Lowe's told me they get their appliances from the same Warehouse as all the other dealers. Only thing they have available are small apartment size units that don't hold anything. Any larger unit are all on back order. Someone might get lucky, but from what Lowe's informed me, I don't know how. I went ahead and fixed my freezer until new units are available again.
Yup that is the current state but push comes to shove I'd say I could find a refrigerator somewhere because I'd have a vested interest in getting it done to my satisfaction. I'm sure the buyers at Entegra would make an attempt but would you know how that goes.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #10

I think that the path for a refrigerator in or out in a "built coach" is often through the toll window.... which still is not a cheap process but much better than a windshield removal....

Amazing problem for the new coach owner to be experiencing!!

Gary
Old 09-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #11

We are patiently waiting on an Anthem 44Z. Scheduled to start down the line on 9/25. On to paint around 10/12. Completion on 11/16. I was hoping for delivery prior to Thanksgiving but we will see.

The pandemic shut down the manufacturer's supply chain for parts as well as assembly for a couple of months. I spoke with one of my appliance vendors yesterday and he said there are very few refrigerators available and even less with the water and ice in the door. Selection is limited even more in that our coaches require a "counter depth" model versus a standard depth. I still think they are sticking with the Whirlpool brand. I have requested the model number. They will not allow an owner to purchase and ship to factory. Too many things can go wrong with that and Entegra does not want the responsibility. I understand that.

I will accept whichever model they can get when it is time to install in my coach. Replacement is not difficult. The driver side toll window and seat have to be removed. Probably a days worth of labor. If not having the correct model at the factory becomes an issue, I will suck it up and install a new one at my expense.

NIRVC has over 50 coaches currently on order and I am sure that number is well into the hundreds if you look at all the dealers. The buyers at Entegra are doing everything they can to make sure the units get built.

Thanks everyone for the comments and questions. Have a great weekend!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
It was posted by the person that did the LG swap that he removed the doors and passenger seat then went through the front door.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #13

With the counter depth model you are at about 24" after the doors are removed which I believe will fit through the door.

I better hit the weight bench to build up for that lift!
Old 09-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #14

Iíll offer an alternative perspective for what it may be worth.

Our last two motorhomes Ė a 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus and our current 2018 Entegra Cornerstone Ė were built with residential refrigerators, both of which had water & ice dispensers in the door. Had there been an option for a refrigerator with no icemaker and no water & ice dispenser in the door, we would have checked that box in a heartbeat. Why?

Letís start with water. We prefer to drink and cook with bottled water. We buy gallon jugs of water, usually at Walmart, occasionally elsewhere. They fit just about perfectly in the space between the two basement storage trays, which really isnít all that usable for anything else. Yes, I realize water coming out of the refrigerator door has passed through two filters, but if the particular RV park youíre in has not-so-great water it still isnít going to taste very good after passing through those filters.

Turning to ice, Iíve yet to see a refrigerator ice maker than can produce clear ice. Depending on where we are, we can nearly always find commercially produced bagged ice that is significantly higher quality than what a refrigerator ice maker will yield. Here in the Phoenix area, weíre particularly spoiled by a local company that produces bagged ice called Crystal Classic Cubes. The cubes are an inch or more on all sides and clear as can be. Put a couple in a glass, pour some Woodford bourbon over them, and you have a work of art!

I realize there is a level of convenience associated with getting ice and cold water from the refrigerator door, but for us a refrigerator that didnít have that capability wouldnít be an issue.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator