Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #1

Refrigerator Doors coming open during travel

Back about 3 or 4 years ago, a "hot" topic here on the reflector was the fact that many of us experienced problems with the doors of our refrigerator coming open when rounding a curve or never sealing fully simply when closed and there was discussion of how to cure this problem. Since there are so many new owners now on the forum, I thought that I would re-introduce the solution that many of us adopted to fix this problem.

This is the device many of us have installed to cure that problem.... The Frig Fixer

https://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Fixer-.../dp/B07YNCBRCP

This is easy to install, and works great and well worth every penny it costs. It uses screws already in the refrigerator and sits out of the way when not needed and does exactly what it claims to do.... it locks all 3 doors of our refrigerators together and closed. It holds the freezer, and both "French Doors closed by "Locking" them all together. The fellow that makes these made mine with a 3D printer and it is a little rough but it works very well and is worth the money Amazon wants for it.

This almost a must have addition to any French door coach refrigerator..

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll add another endorsement for the Fridge Fixer. I added one to ours last year as the cabinet grab latches Tiffin installed started wearing out. The FF works great and as Gary said it's super easy to install.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for sharing Gary.

I am currently using a velcro strap and thinking about the fridge fixer.

The last time the fridge door flew open two cold beers flew out and busted. It made a mess and was alcohol abuse as well.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim 75
I had the same problem. "Fridge Fixer" cured it, easy install works great
Jim 75 3012 MADP 4336
Jim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:41 PM   #5

Dee and l actually use two lines of "defense" for refrigerator accidents. The first is the Fridge Fixer but there is also a second, and the Fridge Fixer prevents the doors from coming open, which is obviously a problem. However, there is a second problem and that is for refrigerator contents to tip over or roll around on the shelves and when you open the door after locked and when you open the door, that loose stuff then falls out.

Sooooo, we also use a set of metal gates or expandable shelf guards in front of all the main shelves. Those guards are spring loaded and are mounted in front of the main shelves on the days we intend to travel on the road. We simply put those shelf guards in an unused corner of the bedroom when we are parked. We bought those CAMCO retaining bars on Amazon and here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44073-R...s%2C111&sr=8-3 They are called Camco 44073 Refrigerator Bar Double. Theyb come in different widths and costs vary from ~ $10 to $20.

The two systems together mean that we have never had any item in the refer fall out as we travel or when we open the doors.

Gary
Old 07-26-2022, 07:57 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Here is the Manufacturer's direct address for the Fridge Fixer.
https://www.recubed.solutions/
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:29 PM   #7

I am totally confused. We have never had a refrigerator "accident." Entegra put a refrigerator lock on the French Doors and the freezer. I've got no idea what you guys are talking about. You didn't get those devices?
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:05 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
I am totally confused. We have never had a refrigerator "accident." Entegra put a refrigerator lock on the French Doors and the freezer. I've got no idea what you guys are talking about. You didn't get those devices?
Many [Us included] Upgraded from the Propane/electric absorption fridges to the 120v AC residential fridge's.
Hence, no door locks supplied.
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:32 AM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
My Samsung RF-18 came from Fleetwood with a couple of Fidget-Spinners, accurately named by someone on the forum. They worked well till the third corner when the watermelon shot out of the fridge. It was the first item I installed.

Last year I broke my FF due to my fault. I emailed Carl and he replied in less than an hour and said he was shipping out the latest and greatest model, at no cost, as in free. You can bet I'll sing praises to him and the company.

Expensive? Yes. But BOGO is nice price.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #10

Bob

My refrigerator on my 19 Cornerstone came with a "lock" but it doesn't lock the freezer at all (or even try to lock it) and the lock does not prevent the doors from coming open as you travel anyway (its a Whirlpool refrig). When we picked up new from the dealer, the "lock" was rather loosely screwed onto the foor, so I tightened the screws as that seemed like the proper way it should be and then we could not get the doors to unlock at alland the screws needed to be loosened so that it could be unlocked. Loosened, then the door would fly open as we traveled.

On the other side of the problem, the door lock does not in anyway prevent contents of the refrig from falling over or rolling around in the refrig and come crashing down onto the floor when you unlock and open the doors unless you have gates on the shelves that prevent contents from rolling or jiggling themselves over against the doors.

I don't think I drive any differently than anyone else does, but we have had this happen to us, and there have been multiple other report that other owners have had problems with various substances rolling out of their refrig and crashing on the floor leaving serious messes they have been cleaning up. That is a problem to many of us which the locks and gates cure. If you don't have the problem, you are lucky.

Gary
Old 07-27-2022, 04:31 PM   #11

I installed a RF 18 Samsung fridge in my 5er. I hate devices that require my remembering to doÖ itís just one more thing in a long list of stuff to do. I installed 3 latches and catches made by southco in 10 lb pull between the doors and drawer for freezer and the body of the fridge. Because you canít know for sure where the cooling coils are located in the fridge, no drilling into refer body. I used a 1/4 inch thick aluminum bar 3/4 wide using VHB high strength double sided tape to mount the catches to and the tape to mount the bar to the space below the double doors to the refer body. The latch is mounted to to the bottom of both doors and on top of the freezer drawer. They are in unseen in use and I do not have some Rube Goldberg scheme I need to remember to do. They have never opened on the road and preserve the sleek look of the fridge. Yes, it took some time to figure out but I love them and the catches and latches are under ten dollars each. I carry an extra in case one catch or latch fails and can be replaced by undoing and replacing 2 Philips screws. Paul R . Haller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35FC99DC-897D-4523-8C20-CE4A3BB49B8E.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	372119   Click image for larger version

Name:	D695422F-F68B-4343-815A-41B2EBB82272.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	372120  

Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:08 AM   #12

We use the perforated foam shelf liner cut 6Ē x shelf width. Nothing moves or shifts. Holds everything in place. We leave it in place so no messing with shelf rods.
We do use the rods in the pantry though.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
Thanks for sharing Gary.

I am currently using a velcro strap and thinking about the fridge fixer.

The last time the fridge door flew open two cold beers flew out and busted. It made a mess and was alcohol abuse as well.
I'd jamb a 2X4 between the fridge door and the wall across from it before I chanced losing two beers.
The only other alternative I can think of without it costing me anything would be to have wifey hold the doors shut when we are traveling.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #14

In my post above, I made a mistake. On my refer, the doors have a lock that does not work. There IS a separate lock on the bottom freezer door and it failed to hold in the freezer also. Both problems seemed to be partly a function of improper installation by the Entegra installers. For them to work at all and my wife to be able to lock and unlock them, they screws in the "lock" sections needed to be fairly loose. If the screws were tightened down tightly, then the locks were almost impossible to move. My bet was poor installation of the locking mechanisms.

So the FrigFixer was the answer to all of the prayers. It locks the freezer and both French Doors together into a single point.... insert one plastic "peg" and all are locked together. Could not be easier, and it works great.

Gary

Tags
door, doors, refrigerator, travel