Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #1

"Remodeling" a Cornerstone 45B Living Room Plan

Moderators -- Feel free to move to the appropriate forum, if this is not the right one.

Pardon the long background before getting to my real questions.

We looking to upgrade from our current coach (2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH).
* My wife's primary "want" = bath-and-a-half floor plan.
* Our shared "want" = living room plan with comfortable seating (preferably recliners) directly across from a television (ideally on a "televator" behind a sleeper sofa).
* My primary "wants" are chassis driven = more HP, side radiator, better engine braking, and keeping my wife happy. (smile)

We are not inclined to buy a new coach, given the financials and the seemingly common initial new coach quality issues which owners endure.

After months of internet "window shopping", I think we have narrowed our search down to Newmar and Entegra.

Within Newmar, we are primarily interested 2016 (or later) Newmar Dutch Star 4369 or Mountain Aires (with 4369-type floor plans). Obviously, I favor the chassis on the Mountain Aire (and L'Aire, and Essex, and K'Aire). The 2016 clip is driven by Newmar's introduction of the rear bath emergency door in that model year. If we go with Newmar, we could not go older and lose the emergency door.

Within Entegra, we are primarily interested in the Cornerstone and Anthem.
I prefer the Cornerstone K3 chassis over the Anthem K2. We like the look of the newer Entegra coach exterior (2016 to present), but would also consider the older "classic" year models. We acknowledge going with Entegra eliminates the emergency door, but are not currently ruling them out.

Now....finally....to my dilemma/questions.
It seems the vast majority of used (especially older) Cornerstones are the 45B plan. I'm sure it's the perfect plan for many people, but for us, it is a non-starter. Given the abundance of 45B's in the used market, I'm wondering if anyone has ever "remodeled" a 45B-type living room layout to make it function more like a Dutch Star 4369 (opposing sofas, or recliners opposing a sleeper sofa, with the TV behind the sleeper sofa on a televator.)?

I know for Tiffin, Red Bay is full of independent shops (ran by some of Tiffin's best former employees) who can/will do almost anything feasible that you want. Does Middlebury have similar independent shops which specialize in Entegra Coach customizations?

Thanks in advance for any insights/observations.

Stan (and Carol)
BallFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #2

Stan where are you located and how far would you like to travel to have something done?
People will add once they know an area

Sounds like a project coming your way

Of course plenty to be said about buying what you like out the door

Goodluck
Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
Stan where are you located and how far would you like to travel to have something done?
People will add once they know an area

Sounds like a project coming your way

Of course plenty to be said about buying what you like out the door

Goodluck
Greg
Thanks Greg. We're located in Cary, NC (near Raleigh). We're retired, but not full-timers, so we would be willing to travel most anywhere.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallFour View Post
Moderators -- Feel free to move to the appropriate forum, if this is not the right one.

Now....finally....to my dilemma/questions.
It seems the vast majority of used (especially older) Cornerstones are the 45B plan. I'm sure it's the perfect plan for many people, but for us, it is a non-starter. Given the abundance of 45B's in the used market, I'm wondering if anyone has ever "remodeled" a 45B-type living room layout to make it function more like a Dutch Star 4369 (opposing sofas, or recliners opposing a sleeper sofa, with the TV behind the sleeper sofa on a televator.)?

I know for Tiffin, Red Bay is full of independent shops (ran by some of Tiffin's best former employees) who can/will do almost anything feasible that you want. Does Middlebury have similar independent shops which specialize in Entegra Coach customizations?

Thanks in advance for any insights/observations.

Stan (and Carol)

Sounds like a 45A or 45W floor plan, they are both basically mirrors of each other in newer coaches. So you can probably draw on existing factory parts or design data to make that happen.

I do suggest the optional theater seating for the side opposite the Couch/bed & TV.

The Cornerstones' have -real- leather not that ultra leather (fake) stuff.

HTH
Old 09-18-2021, 02:46 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Here is a start, many have used them and very pleased. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/woo...ul-550948.html

There is another popular one here in FL, but the name escapes me. I have seen MRUSA14, Marc's coach they did and it was fantastic. Hopefully he will be along and give the name.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We have a 19 Anthem with the real leather - W floor plan that is exactly what you described, also look at the F floor plan. The F has I believe a more open kitchen area due to how the sink is located. The Cornerstone is nice with the K3 and 605 in it, I feel I'm always 100 HP short of what I need!!!
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Here is a start, many have used them and very pleased. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/woo...ul-550948.html

There is another popular one here in FL, but the name escapes me. I have seen MRUSA14, Marc's coach they did and it was fantastic. Hopefully he will be along and give the name.
Contact Custom Coach Works in Ormond Beach FL RV Renovations and RV Service | Classic Coach Works

They did a major reconfiguration of my Anthem, installing a new electric recliner sofa, an electric chair recliner (both are Lambright brand which is excellent). They ran new ethernet wiring throughout the coach and installed a video matrix switch where none existed before. They added a new televator TV with sound bar and associated cabinetry. Everything matches the original factory finish and fabrics. You can’t tell anything was changed or added, it all looks factory done.

These folks are highly skilled and I think they can do just about any work you can imagine, at a reasonable price. I have no relationship with them except as a satisfied customer.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
Sounds like a 45A or 45W floor plan, they are both basically mirrors of each other in newer coaches. So you can probably draw on existing factory parts or design data to make that happen.

I do suggest the optional theater seating for the side opposite the Couch/bed & TV.

The Cornerstones' have -real- leather not that ultra leather (fake) stuff.

HTH
Thanks HTH.

We've looked at the 45W and the newer 45A's. If we decide to buy a 2017 (or later), the 45A satisfies our wants -- but I'm specifically looking at the feasibility of remodeling a 45B, given the vast majority of used (especially older) Cornerstones seem to be 45B's.

If "converting" an older 45B into a 2017+ style 45A/45W is feasible (physically and financially), it would significantly increase the number of coaches for our consideration (albeit, with extra time and money).

Here's an example, based upon the database of RVT asking prices that I've been compiling over the last 6 months:

2017 45A/W = ~$400K
2014 45B = ~275K
----------------------------
Delta = ~$125K

Assuming you could do the conversion for ~$25K (WAG), the 45B conversion would be ~$100K cheaper -- but obviously a 3 year older coach (and classic vs new design).

We have the good fortune of being able to buy what we want, but I like to understand the options/value propositions. Clearly, the 2017 is worth more -- we just have to determine if it's worth $100K more to us.

Thanks again (and I 100% agree with media furniture across from the sofa bed).

Stan
Old 09-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

Thanks brobox (and I've really enjoyed reading your posts over the past 6 months or so).

I had previously searched and found the thread you reference, but it seemed like the work that Wood Design did in that thread was primarily cabinetry refinishing/upgrading vs "remodel"/"reconfigure". The OP did reference moving the TV in the future, but I wasn't sure if they were having Wood Design do it. I went to Wood Design's website, but there didn't seem to be any references to remodeling/reconfiguring. It's been on my list for a couple of weeks to give them a call. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Stan
Old 09-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwprosser View Post
We have a 19 Anthem with the real leather - W floor plan that is exactly what you described, also look at the F floor plan. The F has I believe a more open kitchen area due to how the sink is located. The Cornerstone is nice with the K3 and 605 in it, I feel I'm always 100 HP short of what I need!!!
Thanks jwprosser.

We haven't ruled out the Anthem, and the W floor plan would certainly satisfy our wants. For now, the allure of the K3 has its hook in me. If we decide against the Cornerstone "remodel", the Anthem will definitely move up on the list.

Thanks again.
Stan
Old 09-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallFour View Post
Thanks brobox (and I've really enjoyed reading your posts over the past 6 months or so).

I had previously searched and found the thread you reference, but it seemed like the work that Wood Design did in that thread was primarily cabinetry refinishing/upgrading vs "remodel"/"reconfigure". The OP did reference moving the TV in the future, but I wasn't sure if they were having Wood Design do it. I went to Wood Design's website, but there didn't seem to be any references to remodeling/reconfiguring. It's been on my list for a couple of weeks to give them a call. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Stan
Another member here, a full timer had his floor plan completely changed by them and was very pleased. Both places posted do excellent work and I am sure they will do anything a person can design.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Contact Custom Coach Works in Ormond Beach FL RV Renovations and RV Service | Classic Coach Works

They did a major reconfiguration of my Anthem, installing a new electric recliner sofa, an electric chair recliner (both are Lambright brand which is excellent). They ran new ethernet wiring throughout the coach and installed a video matrix switch where none existed before. They added a new televator TV with sound bar and associated cabinetry. Everything matches the original factory finish and fabrics. You can’t tell anything was changed or added, it all looks factory done.

These folks are highly skilled and I think they can do just about any work you can imagine, at a reasonable price. I have no relationship with them except as a satisfied customer.
Thanks MRUSA14.

I will definitely look into Custom Coach Works. I know our projects are identical, but would mind sharing (privately, if you prefer) the approximate cost of your renovations?

In any case, thanks for the heads-up on Custom Coach Works.

Stan
Old 09-25-2021, 05:03 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I don’t recall the total cost, but I would guess about 12k for the electronics, custom cabinetry, and new furniture combined.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel