Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Repair trash drawer slides 42 DEQ but may fit others

The slides on my trash drawer gave up the ship. They bent in the middle and the drawer would not open or close. Hard to push in and out BUT I fixed that.
I removed the drawer,bought 2 new slides. The slides you need are 22 inches long and available on the internet. Get the 100 pound ones. I then cut a spacer for each side to fit behind the slides for support. The slides were only screwed down in the front and the rear and they bent in the center and all the ball bearings fell out. The problem was the center of the slide was not supported. The right side spacer is 3/16 thick by 21 1/4 inches long and 2 inches high. The left side is 1 1/2 inches thick, 2 inches high and 22 inches long but it needs a cutout on the back side to clear a support Entegra puts in the corner of the left side of the cabinet. I used a razor blade to scrape off the vinyl decal paper the covers the inside of the cabinet. I only scraped three areas for the glue to stick to the wood backing and not the vinyl facing. I used gorilla glue to stick the boards to the sides of the cabinets. Follow the directions for the glue and wet both sides of the wood to activate the glue. You can also use a shorter slide just attach it to the front of the cabinet and use the existing rear hanger to attach it to the rear. Hopefully this helps because it is a heavy drawer and eventually the slides will bend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide 1.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	285477   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide 2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	285478  

onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2020, 07:39 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suffered a similar failure on my '18 Anthem DEQ, as well.

That drawer is so heavy that I was concerned that simply replacing the damaged slides might not be enough. So, I installed two sets of slides on each side, the second set about 4" above the two that you pictured. It wasn't easy getting the two sets aligned in order to prevent binding, but, not too difficult.

The result is a very much sturdier installation.

Sorry, no pics...it's in storage.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Onholdguy.... Do you have the website that you used to purchased the slides and the Model number etc.?
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:31 AM   #4

Someone gave me the sides. Go on the net and search for drawer slides. There was one company that has a complete listing. I would look at the, 100 pound ones. The other fellow used two on each side. The problem is there is nothing to secure them to and also the alignment looked to difficult. I'll try this fix and see what happens. One thing is I think that people pull the drawer out to far and that springd the slide out of wack.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:22 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
In the past, the best drawer glides in the furniture industry was Accuride - might google that and see if the correct length is available. Before imports, they made the quality glides used in the Filing Industry for lateral, legal and letter files, even fire rated files. (I have no affiliation with them, just know they were the best)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
In the past, the best drawer glides in the furniture industry was Accuride - might google that and see if the correct length is available. Before imports, they made the quality glides used in the Filing Industry for lateral, legal and letter files, even fire rated files. (I have no affiliation with them, just know they were the best)
Great fix! I had temporarily 'fixed' mine by just using larger diameter screws until I went to the mothership for its 2 year AIR. They replaced every thing and added some strength to the base, but I'll be referring to this when they break again
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #7

we have a 15 Aspire & have two slides break. The problem is the drawer slides out when going around a corner. They replaced it under warranty. The second time I did it myself.
Trying to figure out a way to hold the drawer in while under way. Now we put a kitchen chair & a cushion to hold it. The problem is going to the head U have to climb over the chair.
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Rockler has 150lb 22" slides which will work. rorr1821 used them on his coach and as far as I know it has been holding up well. Accuride also makes a 22" x 1/2" thick 150lb slide.

There are even heavier slides but they are thicker so that would require rabbeting or rebuilding the drawer box and/or notching the face frame.

Photos here are of Ray's installation.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneboy302 View Post
The problem is the drawer slides out when going around a corner.

Trying to figure out a way to hold the drawer in while under way.
I'm not sure of what type latches were used on a '15. On my '18, the latches look like this:

Name:	Latch.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	285881
Click on image to enlarge.

They work quite well and are adjustable.

They're available here: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sugatsune-D...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
we have a 15 Aspire & have two slides break. The problem is the drawer slides out when going around a corner. They replaced it under warranty. The second time I did it myself.
Trying to figure out a way to hold the drawer in while under way. Now we put a kitchen chair & a cushion to hold it. The problem is going to the head U have to climb over the chair.
What do you have for catches? Ours has two "grabber" type latches, the drawer has never come out while driving, but it does require a really strong pull to get it open which can be annoying.

The latches installed on my coach (qty 2) appear to be Southco C3-810 which has a 10 pound pull (Black spring=10lb, Silver=5lb, Blue=3lb)

The real thing is here, this knockoff is a lot cheaper.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #11

Update. When I put in the left side 1 1/2 thick space I did not measure correctly. Make sure it is flush with the side. Mine was a little thick and the drawer did not close and since I glued them in, I had to modify the drawer. It is a little thinner then 1 1/2 . It did solve the problem and the drawer works great now. It provides a backing and support for the slides so they will not bow out.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #12

Good Morning, As I have said I replace two sets of slides. I’m looking for a lock that I can use before we travel so it wouldn’t come open. I don’t want to install stronger catches because she would have trouble opening it. Thanks bruce
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I’m looking for a lock that I can use before we travel so it wouldn’t come open. I don’t want to install stronger catches because she would have trouble opening it. Thanks bruce
Hi Bruce,

I did confirm that the drawer latch(es) on my '18 Anthem are these:

Name:	Latch.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	286030

There are two of those installed. I can certainly relate to your reluctance to install stronger catches. During our acceptance walk through, the tech specifically disclosed that the drawer was difficult to pull out when it's fully closed and latched. He suggested that many people find it easier to only fully close/latch that drawer before travel. The rest of the time, just push the drawer in far enough that the protrusion on the part attached to the drawer is just touching the two retaining balls on the part attached to the frame, not latched. We've found that to work well. The drawer is easy to open/close while parked and hasn't popped open during travel.

Here are a couple of pictures of my doubled drawer slide solution:

Name:	20200519_125238.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	286031

Name:	20200519_125156.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	286032

It just seems to be more rigid than a single slide.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Good Morning, As I have said I replace two sets of slides. I’m looking for a lock that I can use before we travel so it wouldn’t come open. I don’t want to install stronger catches because she would have trouble opening it. Thanks bruce
We pretty much do as Stu said and just don't close the door all the way. Another thought would be to install some sort of child safety latch. Some of the magnetic versions have a lever to disable it when you don't need it making them very convenient. We used a lot of these in our vacation rentals to keep tenants out of places they shouldn't be, they worked great and held up well:

https://youtu.be/InBDaFSQdqo

Looks like there are a lot of easier to install options these days but not sure if I would trust only adhesive for this application. Also make sure the one you choose has a shut off option. This one looks like a possibility:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2QFVT9...3-817054af63da

Tags
air, repair, slide