RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #1

Replacement of fresh water tank in a 2017-45B

Good morning to everyone!

It has been a while since I have been able to look at the forum and now, with an instituted layoff I find myself with an excess of time.... allowing me the luxury of placing drain holes in the awnings, pulling an errant sock out of the Tecma macerator toilet (rear), replacing the seals in the Thetford toilet (mid) and cleaning/repainting my chassis battery compartment and cleaning the terminals.

I am debating on tackling this next project and was looking for some thoughts.

Repair or replacing the fresh water tank. I have some type of leakage from above the halfway mark that has been in existence since late last summer. We are currently in Florida hooked to city water with no reliance on the tank. I had spoken to NIRVC ( Atlanta ) where we are going to be replacing the front A/C Unit in June and I was advised that Entegra will NOT cover the replacement of the tank under warranty. I will be reaching out to Entegra tomorrow to understand their rational in not covering an item that is seemingly not able to be "damaged" by the end consumer short of a willful desire to not be able to use the tank as designed when not under city water.

My question,

If I am not able to come to an equitable solution with Entegra
has anyone had any experience with, at a minimum repairing and/or possibly replacing the tank?
Is it able to be attempted and completed successfully by a half-crazy, moderately mechanically inclined, fully bored Owner? (me!)

I apologize for the long post, I wanted to try and cover some of the back story to this event before I asked.

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated!

Thanx in advance.

John
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #2

John

I can help a little, but not much.

On my 15 Anthem, the coach came with a fresh water tank with a crack about halfway up from bottom to top. Drove us nuts for a while. The crash was on the side of the tank that faced the forward partition of the wet bay and was impossible to see until a smart tech used a camera to take pictures of the vertical wall all around the tank. The leak was obvious. If we filled the tank, the tank would empty down to about half full and would stay there nicely. We guessed it was a crack but could not find it until the tech located it.

Now, this was within the 2 year warranty period (actually we figured it out within a few months of taking delivery of the coach and was found by an NIRVC tech at the Kerrville Rally of ECOA. Entegra Coach had no problem picking up the tag for the problem as it clearly was nothing that I could have done. It was cracked when they installed it, or was cracked while it was being installed. They shipped a replacement tank (the wrong one) and had to take that one back and then send the correct one (the wrong one was an Aspire tank with maybe about 2/3 or half the capacity of my Anthem tank).

The job of replacing it was unknown to me as the work was done by a local RV sales/repair company. My understanding was that they simply removed the outer wall panel of the rearmost passenger side bay, and it was the top tank and they simply removed it from on top of the other two tanks. I wasnt there when the job was done. However, the shop seemed to have no problems doing the job.

I have subsequently been told that if you find the right place, several shops specialize in "welding" together new fresh water tanks and they can be purchased from those companies. Maybe someone on here has a recommendation on a good company.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanx Gary,

I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress on this project.

Looking thru the "wet bay" it seems as though the tank, if looking at the Coach from the front, is tallest on the passenger side, hence the visual window in the wooden panel and then drops down and spreads out along the basement floor ending
~ 3/4 of the way towards the drivers side, ( behind the "wet bay") roughly 12"15" tall, I would imagine the width ( back to front) of the compartment opening. Imagine an "L" shape with an elongated base moving from left to right.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #4

I had my 2018 Cornerstone leaking water tank replaced right after taking deliver.

It seemed tank had been damaged during assembly at plant. A local mobile rv service replaced the Entegra provided tank. It is an easy work. 1-2 hours. Remove the covers on the passenger side, disconnect pipes behind service area, remove level sensors and drains in the passenger side.

Tank slides out trough the passenger side.

I heard as well that tank can be repaired. I would caution that sometimes leaks only happens when there is enough water in the tank to pressure the leak open and force water moving out. In my case, only after 1/2 to 2/3 full the water started to leak and the crack was in the very bottom.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #5

Tony,

Thanx for the response,

I'll look a bit more in depth as to the
accessibility of the plumbing and associated sensors.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
So I had a minor leak in my fresh water tank. It was caused by an overdriven screw on the black carpeted assembly covering the tank area on the passenger side wet bay. The screw point was protruding from the wood assembly and when the tank filled the sides flexed and pushed itself into the screw point. The screw eventually rusted and the leak became more constant. I started to look into having the breach spin welded but the hole was so small I just plugged it with a stainless screw, fender washer and some sealant and it's been fine.

Here's a good video that shows the spin welding process on a polyethylene tank: https://youtu.be/crmnzfDZDPU

The SeeLevel sensor for the fresh tank is on the forward facing corner of the tank on the passenger side. It is a flexible circuit board with an adhesive backing. If done carefully it can be removed intact and reused (I have done this).

Good Luck!

Here are some photos of my tank:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kCLHEp3MuYPrj3ct5
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fresh water, replace, replacement, tank, water