Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2023, 05:51 PM   #1

Replacement televisions?

Our 2017 had the old Samsung "almost smart" TVs. The ones that have like 2 apps and only talk to other Samsung devices?
I have Smartcast's plugged into 2 of them, but hate having the televisions tethered to my phone.

At home we have Vizio's. I like them kinda. They don't have a Newsmax app, and do not have a way to install apps.

I'm looking at upgrading the coach TVs, and wondering what your experience has been?

Note we have recently ditched the dish and gone streaming, with YouTube tv, Hulu, and Paramount+
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2023, 06:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have all new Samsung smart TVs in the S&B and they are great. The Insigna Fire TV I have in my office has turned out to be a great little TV, it really surprised. me. I purchased it just to play with jail breaking and not mess up one of the Samsungs. It has taken everything I have thrown at it and not locked up. The picture is also fantastic.
The new Samsungs, you can download all the apps. I also have YouTube TV, Netflix, Paramount+ etc. all loaded.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:25 PM   #3

Our Aspire came with the Samsung NotVerySmart TV's and the Matrix system didn't do much to help our learning curve. After much swearing and profanity, I finally put a Roku on the living room and bedroom TV and a Google Cast on the front overhead TV. Simple enough for a caveman (or his wife) and we can cast from our phones to the overhead TV while on the road. I do see an Android Auto unit in our future, though.
SouthTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:21 AM   #4

I replaced our main tv with an LG, it works well for us.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
Our Aspire came with the Samsung NotVerySmart TV's and the Matrix system didn't do much to help our learning curve. After much swearing and profanity, I finally put a Roku on the living room and bedroom TV and a Google Cast on the front overhead TV. Simple enough for a caveman (or his wife) and we can cast from our phones to the overhead TV while on the road. I do see an Android Auto unit in our future, though.
Tell more about this Roku?

Is this something you can plug into the existing televisions?

Does it do YouTube tv, Hulu, and Paramount+?

I'm looking to do it all with the tv remote, no phone, easy enough so the DW can deal with it?
Old 05-18-2023, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
Tell more about this Roku?

Is this something you can plug into the existing televisions?

Does it do YouTube tv, Hulu, and Paramount+?

I'm looking to do it all with the tv remote, no phone, easy enough so the DW can deal with it?
I *think* there are other devices that work like Roku - Apple TV, Firestick, etc. Roku just happens to be the one I originally picked up and have stayed with. There are several versions of Roku, but basically, they plug into an HDMI port on the TV and also a wired or wireless internet connection. Once you have selected the input with the Roku, it works just about the same as the Samsung smart TV in the S&B. Select what you want to watch - YouTubeTV and Prime Video are what we subscribe to. You can add whatever other free or subscription sources you might want to watch.

Roku comes in a number of flavors - HD, 4K, infrared, wireless. Some have volume and on/off controls. The NotSoSmart TV's in my Aspire have 2 HDMI ports and one antenna connection so you retain the option of selecting the Matrix or local TV using the TV remote.

You will need the stock TV remote to change source connections and you MAY need a soundbar remote to control the volume.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:11 PM   #7

The Samsungs took some getting used to to figure out how to connect to various wifi’s, but we like them enough that we have 2 in the rv and 2 in the house. The newest one has the best easiest to use remote ever and charges via solar.

The LG we had in the house before would not support some aps (hulu being one) even though it was fairly new. So stay away from LG.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 04:58 AM   #8

ROKU?

Can I just plug a Roku device into my TVs to add some smart to the "not so smart" Samsung's to create my own Smart TV?

I have previously put smartcast devices in them, but all they seem to do is let me share my phone, I don't like that.
Would a Roku device give me a true Smart TV interface?

Our 2017 has the "Front Sat" cable wired to an HDMI splitter, which feeds all the TV's in the coach.
If I connect a Roku stick to that connection, it will feed every TV?

I may be on to something here?
Old 05-19-2023, 05:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambetter View Post
I replaced our main tv with an LG, it works well for us.
I did the same thing. When TV's started getting smarter than I am I downgraded so I could keep up with the simple ones. I'm still falling behind.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
The Samsungs took some getting used to to figure out how to connect to various wifi’s, but we like them enough that we have 2 in the rv and 2 in the house. The newest one has the best easiest to use remote ever and charges via solar.

The LG we had in the house before would not support some aps (hulu being one) even though it was fairly new. So stay away from LG.
Totally agree on the remotes. I liked them so much I purchased extras on eBay for the 75 inch that was one model before the new solar remotes and one for each side of the bed for the bedroom TV. No having to remember different remotes and what each button does.

I thought the wifi was easy to set up. We lost all wifi after Hurricane Ian, the TV's had to be reconnected, I had forgotten how easy it was to connect, just answer the questions. Samsung calls it "Network" instead of wifi in the menu
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:03 AM   #11

Quote:
ROKU?

Can I just plug a Roku device into my TVs to add some smart to the "not so smart" Samsung's to create my own Smart TV?

I have previously put smartcast devices in them, but all they seem to do is let me share my phone, I don't like that.

Our 2017 has the "Front Sat" cable wired to an HDMI splitter, which feeds all the TV's in the coach.

I have used Roku devices for several years now and I am very happy with them. I am not sure that you can use the Roku stick through the HDMI matrix.

You can plug a Roku into your HDMI switch and distribute it to all of your TV's. This is what I do. I have the Roku Ultra.

I would suggest the Roku Express or the Roku Ultra. The user interface and apps (YouTube, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) are the same. Your TV's are likely 1080p / HD. Both can do 1080, the Ultra can do higher. What I like most about the Ultra is that it has the best WiFi and a network jack. I don't use the WiFi. I have the Roku connected to my router with a network cable. What is nice is that you have either option.

The other advantage of Roku is that it supports all the popular streaming apps, paid and free. There have been times when Google (YouTube) and Amazon have prevented their apps from working on the competitors devices.

The remote on the Ultra, not sure about the Express, is RF for controlling the Roku. This means you do not have to point it at the Roku to control it Also the Roku can be in a cabinet. I can use the Roku remote for the outside TV and still control the Roku which is inside the coach. The Ultra remote does have power and volume controls which can be used to control the TV. This is infra-red and you have to point the remote at the TV, just like the TV factory remote. You will still need the TV factory remote for changing TV inputs, HDMI 1/2, Antenna, Cable, etc.

Bottom line is I think you would be happy with Roku. It has a very clean and simple user interface and broad compatability with TV's and streaming services.

Safe Travels,

Curtis
2Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:34 AM   #12

Thanks Curtis. I'm gonna pick one up at Walmart today and give it a try.
Sounds way easier and cheaper than replacing 3 televisions
Old 05-19-2023, 08:02 AM   #13

Quote:
ROKU?

We started with a chromecast device when we started streaming TV, too. Roku (or similar devices) are a step up from that. The Roku interface is very similar to that of the relatively new smart TV in our living room - not the same but similar.

It may be possible to plug a Roku into the Matrix system and use just one for the entire coach, but I found the Matrix to be such a PITA that I put a Roku on both the LR and BR TV's which is all we ever watch. For about fifty bucks a pop for the Roku it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with the Matrix. I could remove the Matrix system, DVD players, Wineguard system and satellite junk and never miss any of it.

FWIW, I have a Tmobile home internet box with a Verizon hotspot for backup and those feed a Google router that covers the entire coach. I've seen nearly 500 meg from the Tmo system and there was only one time that I had to fall back on the VZN system and even that barely had a signal in that location. Using the Google router makes it easy to switch between systems without reconnecting every device in the coach.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We put a Roku on the Satellite #1 HDMI input on our HDMI Matrix and it worked great to put streaming TV at all TVs. We didn’t use the Roku Stick because it’s remote was IR based. We used the $120 Roku Ultra because it’s remote is RF and will work behind a closed cabinet.

We did install a whole RV Internet router (WiFi Ranger Spruce”) and then AtT&T and Verizon Hotspot devices. This works great and we’ve yet to camp anywhere with zero streaming service.

Recently we tired of the HDMI Matrix and retired that device. We have now put a Roku behind each TV.

This is preferred over a smartTV because you can install just about any App you want on a Roku and when new channel options come out they usually come out for Roku first.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, television, vision