Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #1

Replacing Air Filter - 2018 Cornerstone

Having enjoyed almost all the fun I can stand thinking and talking about DEF heads for who-knows-how-long, I decided to spend a day or two focusing on a couple of projects over which I have some degree of control.

The project for today was replacing the air filter in the engine compartment of our 2018 Cornerstone. My practice with our various motorhomes has been to replace the air filter every two years or thereabout. Yes, I’m aware Spartan recommends replacing air filters every year. If you want to do that, go for it, but my opinion (based on 22 years of motorhome ownership) is that every two years is plenty adequate unless you log a lot more miles per year than most of us do.

Our current coach was new in October 2017. I replaced the original air filter in August 2019 when the odometer was at 21,742 miles.

It’s now late June (almost July) of 2021 and the odometer is at 36,896 miles. We’re planning to be on the road the entire month of August, so I decided to replace the air filter now rather than later. Separately but related, I’ll also be taking the coach in for service before we head out – oil change, new filters (oil & fuel), chassis lube – all that good stuff.

Replacing the air filter in a Cornerstone is a do-able one-person job but definitely not a fun one-person job. Actually it doesn’t much matter if you have more than one person because there isn’t room for two people to do most of the work necessary to remove the old air filter and install the new one.

The job isn’t rocket science, but it involves dealing with a big bulky heavy air filter in pretty tight quarters. Removal of the used filter is somewhat easier than installation of the new one. As Stephen Covey advised back in 2006, “Begin with the end in mind.” The photos included below show what I had in mind as the end result and was fortunate enough to achieve.

Yeah, it took a while…

P.S. - Note the manufacturing date on the label in the first photo. The documentation included with the new air filter quoted a "shelf life" of three years and advised not installing an air filter older than that. I purchased this particular filter at a local Velocity Truck Center, and as you can see it was manufactured only a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-Parker Racor Ecolite Air Filter-2nd Replacement.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	334276   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-2nd Replacement Date & Mileage.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	334277  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6-2nd Replacement Installed.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	334280   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-2nd Replacement Installed Closeup.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	334281  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 04:54 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have one question. Is your RV garage air conditioned? How did you do it in that heat? I have done a few, not not on a Cornetstone, you are to be commended for that project in the heat of AZ.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:17 AM   #3

Larry, What's the saying about great minds thinking alike , probably not my mind but you certainly qualify. Anyways I also changed my air filter yesterday and at 2 years and although it's a 450 it's not fun sliding the boots back on the filter with so little room. It took longer to change the air filter then the DEF Filter, Hydraulic spin on and internal PS Tank filter and the air system spin on filter. Today is Engine change , Fuel filters and Allisson Tranny filters. Gen-Set was last week so by day's end we're ready to roll !

Chuck, while not Arizona nor Florida heat/humidity here in New England has been extremely uncomfortable for the North East and I was in a full sweat by the time I finished the air filter , Ugh !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:06 AM   #4

Boy I'm impressed.....NO BEER CANS and I don't see a drop of blood. There always has to be a skinned knuckle somewhere.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post

Chuck, while not Arizona nor Florida heat/humidity here in New England has been extremely uncomfortable for the North East and I was in a full sweat by the time I finished the air filter , Ugh !
I saw that the other day, 106 in Boston. I am enjoying the "cool" FL summer again this year But I am sorry say, not by choice.. What fun, we have the first storm of the season headed our way, good timing, just got the new MH insurance Friday. I would much rather be putting on miles and needing to change the air filter.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Having enjoyed almost all the fun I can stand thinking and talking about DEF heads for who-knows-how-long, I decided to spend a day or two focusing on a couple of projects over which I have some degree of control.

The project for today was replacing the air filter in the engine compartment of our 2018 Cornerstone. My practice with our various motorhomes has been to replace the air filter every two years or thereabout. Yes, I’m aware Spartan recommends replacing air filters every year. If you want to do that, go for it, but my opinion (based on 22 years of motorhome ownership) is that every two years is plenty adequate unless you log a lot more miles per year than most of us do.

Our current coach was new in October 2017. I replaced the original air filter in August 2019 when the odometer was at 21,742 miles.

It’s now late June (almost July) of 2021 and the odometer is at 36,896 miles. We’re planning to be on the road the entire month of August, so I decided to replace the air filter now rather than later. Separately but related, I’ll also be taking the coach in for service before we head out – oil change, new filters (oil & fuel), chassis lube – all that good stuff.

Replacing the air filter in a Cornerstone is a do-able one-person job but definitely not a fun one-person job. Actually it doesn’t much matter if you have more than one person because there isn’t room for two people to do most of the work necessary to remove the old air filter and install the new one.

The job isn’t rocket science, but it involves dealing with a big bulky heavy air filter in pretty tight quarters. Removal of the used filter is somewhat easier than installation of the new one. As Stephen Covey advised back in 2006, “Begin with the end in mind.” The photos included below show what I had in mind as the end result and was fortunate enough to achieve.

Yeah, it took a while…

P.S. - Note the manufacturing date on the label in the first photo. The documentation included with the new air filter quoted a "shelf life" of three years and advised not installing an air filter older than that. I purchased this particular filter at a local Velocity Truck Center, and as you can see it was manufactured only a few months ago.

Did you have to movre that trans fill tube? On my CS there's not enough room to get the filter out through the cage without moving something. If you did move it did you go to the top or bottom corner ?

TIA
Old 07-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Boy I'm impressed.....NO BEER CANS and I don't see a drop of blood. There always has to be a skinned knuckle somewhere.
The blood only happens when you help someone change their exhaust bellows.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
Did you have to movre that trans fill tube? On my CS there's not enough room to get the filter out through the cage without moving something. If you did move it did you go to the top or bottom corner ?

TIA
On my '16 45A I found it to be much easier to not try to get it out through the back. Too much stuff in the way. Instead, I work through the back to loosen the clamps and straps then go through the bedroom wardrobe to retrieve the filter and insert the new one. Helps to have a plastic garbage bag for the old filter for when you carry it through the coach.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fqberful View Post
Did you have to move that trans fill tube? On my CS there's not enough room to get the filter out through the cage without moving something. If you did move it did you go to the top or bottom corner
Yes, on our 2018 Cornerstone it is necessary to remove the nut & bolt which secure a loop around the transmission fill tube, then move the fill tube downward. The tube can only move an inch or two down before it hits a metal crossbar, but that is enough to allow the old filter to be removed and the new one to be put in there. And you can gain another quarter inch or so by removing the fill tube's cap & dipstick. If you do that, be sure to put a paper towel or some such in the tube opening, just to be sure no stray parts end up inside your expensive Allison transmission.

Once I had the nut & bolt removed, I pushed the fill tube down then used a couple of nylon tie wraps to keep it down until I was finished. Did pretty much the same thing with a clear plastic cover that protects a 110 volt AC electrical outlet higher up. The clear cover has a tab on its left side that is just slightly in the way when attempting to extract the old filter. I raised the cover and secured it in the up position with nylon tie wraps.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I have one question. Is your RV garage air conditioned? How did you do it in that heat? I have done a few, not not on a Cornetstone, you are to be commended for that project in the heat of AZ.
No Chuck, our RV garage isn't air conditioned. Fortunately we had a reasonably decent day yesterday with clouds and some breeze. The RV garage has two entry doors, one of which is pretty much next door to the tail end of the coach when the coach is backed into the garage. Having that door propped open provided natural light and a relatively decent volume of air movement.

I'm not saying it was pleasant, but I only had to use supplemental oxygen every 15 minutes or so...
Old 07-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Dave, the beer came later.

As for blood, I got though the entire air filter change-out unscathed only to inflict a cut on the end of my right thumb doing something so dumb I can't even talk about it - other than to advise not rummaging through a kitchen trash can in search of a small item you might have thrown away by mistake...
Old 07-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Larry, What's the saying about great minds thinking alike , probably not my mind but you certainly qualify. Anyways I also changed my air filter yesterday and at 2 years and although it's a 450 it's not fun sliding the boots back on the filter with so little room. It took longer to change the air filter then the DEF Filter, Hydraulic spin on and internal PS Tank filter and the air system spin on filter. Today is Engine change , Fuel filters and Allisson Tranny filters. Gen-Set was last week so by day's end we're ready to roll !

Brian, the DEF filter is next up! Planning on doing that tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The blood only happens when you help someone change their exhaust bellows.
Ah yes, I remember it well.

But hey, it was a memorable bonding experience (figuratively and darn near literally).
Old 07-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Nope, at some point I decided there was a certain level of “no fun” that I won’t go over and will say OPJ! Wife is aware that that means it will be done by other people because we need to support their jobs! I do however agree that 2 years is the rule not the exception for replacing the air filter.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air filter