Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #15

Hey Matt. I had the same experience with the chassis batteries. I thought they were AGMS but when I pulled them found they were flooded. Fortunately all cells were filled with fluid. As I mentioned above, I finally decided to replace them with DEKA "maintenance free" flooded batts which have a tape seal over the filler holes making it hard to service them anyway. They had the 950 CCA power Spartan suggested.
The Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I've had very good luck with a NAPA Group 31 commercial. This model has 1125CCA and they are maintenance free. Two of these will crank better than two huge 8D batteries. Most coaches can get by with one of these. The nice thing is they are readily available across the country.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7234
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I've had very good luck with a NAPA Group 31 commercial. This model has 1125CCA and they are maintenance free. Two of these will crank better than two huge 8D batteries. Most coaches can get by with one of these. The nice thing is they are readily available across the country.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7234
Based on the photo on the NAPA web site, these batteries appear to be made for NAPA by East Penn Manufacturing Company in Lyon Station, Pennsylvania.

East Penn's house brand name is Deka, but they also make the "Duracell" batteries sold at Batteries Plus stores and some Sam's Club outlets. Solid company, been around a long time.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #18

In my opinion/experience, the best Group 31 chassis batteries on the market today are the 1150 CCA NorthStar NSB-AGM31's.

Not cheap and probably overkill for most motorhomes, but I can testify they will definitely spin a 605 Cummins more robustly than the 950 CCA Harris batteries which are standard equipment on Entegra diesel coaches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NorthStar NSB-AGM31 Batteries.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	232485  
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:19 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
My Chassis Batteries finally cranked their last time yesterday. Actually, they would not turn over the engine, so I used the battery boost for about a minute and it did crank up. These batteries are the Harris, 6 years in service, and almost 7 from the chassis built date. Think I am going to get the Duracell Group 32 from Sam's or Battery Plus this morning to give them a shot.

I replaced my House batteries late last year before heading to Quartzsite, and they were Duracell Flooded, and I have been pretty happy with them.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #20

Most, nearly all car/truck batteries are made by East Penn, in America.
They are sold in lots of stores, with lots of labels.
A notable exception is the "Discovery L16 AGM's", used as house batteries in entegra's since 2017, or maybe 2016.

You get an increased CCA by having more or larger plates.
Since the case size doesn't change (group 31 refers to specific dimensions) They get more plates in the battery by making them thinner. Thinner plates are more susceptible to being damaged and failing. I rarely buy the highest CCA rating in a particular size, plates are too thin.

The AGM vs Flodded thing became real obvious to me when I replaced the battery in my motorcycle with AGM.
The old battery went dead sitting. If more than a month went by without riding the bike, the battery would be dead. If it went dead too many times, it stayed dead, and I had to buy a new battery. I hardwired a battery tender, and "plugged the bike in" when I wasn't riding it.
I put an AGM battery in it 4 years ago. It's never gone dead, and I don't bother to plug it in anymore.

If your motorhome spends a lot of time in storage not plugged in, AGM's are a good choice for the chassis batteries.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #21

Maintenance free or AGM
Mine are 1900 cold cranking amps
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
Most, nearly all car/truck batteries are made by East Penn, in America.
I like East Penn a lot, but I think Johnson Controls (JCI), Exide, Crown Battery, and others would take exception to the "nearly all are made by East Penn".

I know it's been 6+ years since I retired, but Deka/East Penn was well below 50%, and I think under 30%. BTW, last I saw, JCI was over 50%.

That said, East Penn has the most impressive assembly "campus" that I've ever seen in the US. They ship over 110K batteries from that facility everyday. So in the east and Pennsylvania areas I could see them dominating.

Steve
Old 10-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
In my opinion/experience, the best Group 31 chassis batteries on the market today are the 1150 CCA NorthStar NSB-AGM31's.

Not cheap and probably overkill for most motorhomes, but I can testify they will definitely spin a 605 Cummins more robustly than the 950 CCA Harris batteries which are standard equipment on Entegra diesel coaches.

Any modifications to install these?...did you need to change anything..charging wise.
Thx Jeff
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnjen View Post
Any modifications to install these?...did you need to change anything..charging wise.
Thx Jeff
Jeff,

Seeing as how you would be replacing with the same size of battery the fit should be the same. There are no charge settings that can be changed for the chassis batteries.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
I completed the install of the Duracell (extra) Group 31 from Sam's, they were $109 each. Getting the batteries disconnected, out and back in is not that difficult, but a few of the connections can be a struggle to get to because of the limited space to work in.

Took maybe a hour to put them in, including preparing the area cleaning up the compartment, then the cable ends with battery cleaner. Sure has no problems turning over the engine now, made a very noticeable difference.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis