Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #1

Replacing Sofa with Desk

We are converting 20 Anthem Ws Sofa Bed into an office space. The sofa sits on a carpeted platform which is 3 higher than the tiled floor. I want to remove the part of the platform for a chair. Can I just cut the part of the platform? What is under the carpet? Thanks.

Ethan
2020 Entegra Anthem 44W
Smokingem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingem View Post
We are converting 20 Anthem Ws Sofa Bed into an office space. The sofa sits on a carpeted platform which is 3 higher than the tiled floor. I want to remove the part of the platform for a chair. Can I just cut the part of the platform? What is under the carpet? Thanks.

Ethan
2020 Entegra Anthem 44W
Or, perhaps, I should somehow attach the chair on the desk (bolt on or welding) so that I dont need to worry about the height difference between the tiled floor vs. the carpeted slide-out floor?
Old 06-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If your 44W is anything like our 45A, that raised portion is the slideout floor. You can't cut part of that away or else you'll be looking at the grass when you extend the slideout.

I have a desk in our similar slideout that is built into the entertainment center with fireplace and 50" televator TV. The actual desk area has a keyboard tray on ball bearing slides that is mounted beneath the desk top. When I use the area as a desk the chair just sets on the tiled floor and everything is right at the correct reach. When done using the desk, or when traveling, I just push the keyboard tray in and set the chair up on the carpeted area. Originally I had a leather officer chair on wheels, which I had to strap in when travelling but it wasn't that comfortable. But neither were the dinette chairs so I replaced the dinette and office chairs with three nice comfortable Amish built ones from Weaver's Furniture in Shipshewana. Note that this photo is an earlier photo using one of the folding dinette chairs, which are now long gone, rather than the Amish dinette chair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3295.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	332694  
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #4

In addition to Cruzers excellent advise, check the Stickies above for others mods. Lots of interesting ideas.
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingem View Post

Ethan
2020 Entegra Anthem 44W
Picture of our W with entertainment center/desk with chair and fireplace. Chair stows in opening when on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02D4DECD-D512-40E0-9390-E3F2AA9A2603.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	332700  
Old 06-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
If your 44W is anything like our 45A, that raised portion is the slideout floor. You can't cut part of that away or else you'll be looking at the grass when you extend the slideout.

I have a desk in our similar slideout that is built into the entertainment center with fireplace and 50" televator TV. The actual desk area has a keyboard tray on ball bearing slides that is mounted beneath the desk top. When I use the area as a desk the chair just sets on the tiled floor and everything is right at the correct reach. When done using the desk, or when traveling, I just push the keyboard tray in and set the chair up on the carpeted area. Originally I had a leather officer chair on wheels, which I had to strap in when travelling but it wasn't that comfortable. But neither were the dinette chairs so I replaced the dinette and office chairs with three nice comfortable Amish built ones from Weaver's Furniture in Shipshewana. Note that this photo is an earlier photo using one of the folding dinette chairs, which are now long gone, rather than the Amish dinette chair.
Cruzer,

Thank you for sharing. It’s a beautiful setup. I was thinking to put the fireplace, too. The desk is Husky’s foldable shop table. I was planning to put the fireplace and wood trims around it to hide its metal frame. Based on the feedback from many, I am leaning toward making a simple platform extension so the chair does not fall off.

- Ethan