Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

Replacing Transfer Switch

I previously posted a power loss issue regarding the coach being completely without power. At the time I replaced all of the batteries and all came back to life except the charger would not function (magnum displayed Off DC). I started the generator and the charger worked on it so I plugged it back in and the charger now worked on direct power again. Thought my problems were over not!!

We were preparing for a trip and had the coach loaded and ready to go in the morning. I went out to check it and the magnum again read Off DC low batteries. I unplugged and started the generator and it charged then I cut off the generator and plugged back in. Still Off DC so we unloaded the coach and I started the generator and took it back to storage where it charged again when plugged in!!

I had talked to numerous techs with most saying the inverter/charger rarely goes out and my problem most likely was in the power supply. I check my electrical plug and all was well. I then pulled the electrical cord all the way out exposing a four screw cover that contained the cord connections to the reel. All was good here as I tighten very little. I then removed the plate on the forward side of the reel and tightened (very little) the connections there. This left one item, the transfer switch. The power from the switch goes directly to the electrical panel (above drivers side window on my coach). I then realized that this is why I had no power to the outlets with direct current to the coach when the magnum read Off DC.

I then purchased a new inverter for approximately $214.00 and replaced the old one. About a 3 hour job for me. A little hard to get to and hard to work with the heavy wires but totally doable. Plugged it in and all "appears" to be well. After reading up on the transfer switch (Surge Guard) it seems that this is not an uncommon issue. The paperwork sent with my new switch said it had a life time limited warranty. When I called Surge Guard they said that was a mistake it was only for a year and even if it was under warranty they only repaired them. They weren't real helpful.

Anyway sorry for the length but hope it helps someone one day.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the update. Also had the conversation about the "lifetime" Warranty on the new "surge protector" transfer switches installed on the new models. There is no warranty...they are "one and done". Sorry you had the problem...do you have an Electrical Management System installed in front of the transfer switch? Entegra is still advising new coach owners that EMS's are needed. The Surge Guard only works once with no warranty and they are not repairable as the owners manual states.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:02 PM   #3

I don't have an EMS but do have a portable progressive surge protector.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:19 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlin11 View Post
I don't have an EMS but do have a portable progressive surge protector.
That is an EMS, it's in front of the transfer switch protecting it from bad power.
The 14's did have weak transfer switches, saw posted many being replaced while under warranty. Don't hear much on the new ones going out, thank goodness.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:18 AM   #5

Ron

It does have a 2 year warranty, at least for the first 2 years as it is warranted by Entegra and Surge Guard will replace it at their expense but its because they live up to Entegra's warramty for the first two years that Entegra demands.

However, on a 14, that warranty is long gone. Sorry to hear about the complete loss. A failure of the transfer switch is not an uncommon problem reported on here. There are better (and more expensive) transfer switches out there and many owners replace their SurgeGuard with a different manufacturer which claims much heavier duty contacts and its own internal heavy duty surge protection. That is a disadvantage of the portable Progressive units... they only protect you from commercial surges and problems. You can wire the internal Progressives (HW-50s) so they protect both the genny and the line, but the externals are just the line.

What reportedly kills transfer switches the most is supposedly "hot switching" the power source..... lets say in Texas in August with outside temperature sitting at 108 degrees with all three ACs running full bore and going from commercial to generator or reverse directly. The assumed way around that problem is to always reduce the load on the transfer switch to the minimum load before transferring. Now I violate this myself and have not had the problem, but if you want to be cautious, turn off all heavy loads (all ACs or heat pumps) before switching from one source to the other, in either direction. Once you have switched sources, then turn them all back on. That avoids the really heavy loads on the power switch contacts which is often what "kills" the transfer switch.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

I had an EMS on my Monaco but it was an Energy Management System that would shed loads if the system was overloaded. Only had it shed one time when I was on 30 amp. I did notice that the new transfer switch hesitates prior to engaging which the old one did not. Seems like a better system. I rarely use the generator other than to exercise it and then I make sure all is off until the system kicks in. Same with connecting to power. I make sure all is off in the coach and that the pedestal 50 amp switch is off prior to plugging in. Don't know what caused this transfer switch to go bad but I couldn't rely on it so it had to go!
Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Motor Home law...anything electronic can die at anytime.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlin11 View Post
I had an EMS on my Monaco but it was an Energy Management System that would shed loads if the system was overloaded. Only had it shed one time when I was on 30 amp. I did notice that the new transfer switch hesitates prior to engaging which the old one did not. Seems like a better system. I rarely use the generator other than to exercise it and then I make sure all is off until the system kicks in. Same with connecting to power. I make sure all is off in the coach and that the pedestal 50 amp switch is off prior to plugging in. Don't know what caused this transfer switch to go bad but I couldn't rely on it so it had to go!
Yup. Had a Monaco, had an Energy Management System. The Entegra has one too, above the door.

A certain surge protector company decided surge protector wasn't cool enough, so they call their surge protectors energy management systems.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

Jim, I guess my impression is that a true Energy Management System is designed to load shed based upon the available service and the demand. A true EMS can do more than simply shut off the power.

My understanding of a Surge Protector is a fuse that is designed to fail should the incoming current or voltage exceed design limits. This failure prevents power from entering the coach.

We have use the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C on the last three RVs, largely because it seems pretty robust and handles a number of improper electrical situations. I don’t really think it’s an EMS as much as a fancy surge protector.

The device installed by Entegra (above entry door) is an EMS, as it will load shed items as needed.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch