RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

Resetting TPMS Alarm Values?

I went through the process of weighing my 2020 Entegra Anthem fully loaded and determined the proper tire pressures for each of my axles. As a result, I determined that I needed far less tire pressure (front 20,000# axle) than the factory sticker inside the coach listed (120 PSIG). I have just under 18,000 Lbs. on the front Axle and according to the Michelin Tire Pressure Chart I only need about 105 PSIG cold inflation pressure for my front tires. I typically run between 108 to 110 PSIG to be safe. When the coach is first started up after cool/cold overnight temps, the low pressure alarm goes off at 104 PSIG because it was set at the factory for the higher inflation pressures that they list.

There must be a way to reset the Low/High pressure alarm setpoints? Is anyone aware of the procedure?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #2

Cryokid

Your problem is very common. Yes, your tire pressure probably dont need to be set anywhere close to the pressures on the placard behind the driver's seat.

To adjust your tire pressures you need a bluetooth remote programmer from Valor. You have two ways of getting one. 1.) You can buy one for about $200 from Don Rigby who is the factory rep to the motorhome industry for Valor. He used to work for them, retired, and is now the North American rep of the company. or 2.) he will loan you a programmer unit. You need to contact him and he will tell you when one is available and how to arrange getting one. He used to have maybe 10 - 20 programmer that he would loan out.

Once you get it, you have to first disconnect the J1939 communication bus that is under the faux wood panel in front of the driver seat. You disconnect it so that there is not a lot of communication conflict up and down the communication bus as you need to communicate with the control center in the dash. He will send you a brochure on how to do the resetting.

I went ahead and bought a unit as I had one of the first Entegra coaches that had that system installed on it, and it was a total mess trying to get it figured out (early 2019 production is spring of 2018). Delivery dealers didn't know what to do, and owners were simply overwhelmed trying to turn off alarms.

Mr. Rigby's phone number was: 734-634-3278. Things might have changed, but he is the man that can get you back on track with the Valor system. You should also discuss with Don his recommendations of the baselines (low pressure thresholds) that he recommends. I told him my weights and what I wanted to run for pressures and he agreed with my values.... but then he said given that data, he then rattled off his recommendation for where to set my baselines. The issue is that the rise in pressure points that set off the alarms are fixed percentage increases and so when you set the baselines, you are also determining the high pressure alarm warning and serious warning points. As I remember (might be wrong... I have a long thread up here that you can search and find that details all of it while I was trying to figure it all out), the alarm points and 20% and 30% above the baseline. If I can find the old thread on this issue, I will post it in another post.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #3

Here are two threads of information that will probably give you more than you ever wanted to know.

The first one is the thread that I published as I encountered a lot of real problems with the TPMS system and getting it figured out.

The second one is a later thread on the same issue.

If you want more, in the search box at the top (in green) type in Entegra: Valor TPMS baselines programmer

essentially free associate using words and peoples names that you know as associated with this issue and you will find a lot of information returned by the search process.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/som...-a-397905.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/val...ol-408057.html

Gary
Old 01-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Mine is set up to where I would have to run the tires dangerously low to stop the excessive pressure warning. The Valid TMPS is not ready for prime time, my experience it is a joke. Two new coaches with the same system and both needed to be calibrated when new.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:06 AM   #5

Thanks Gary/Chuck, I will contact Don Rigby and arrange to purchase a programmer.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You could also have your dealer adjust them.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #7

Yes, Gary is right. Most dealers can adjust them (but not all) and Don will need to come up with his recommendations of the baseline levels regardless.

I discovered that another thing that the programmer will do is it can read the values of your batteries in your wheel pressure transducers which are now inside the tire, strapped to your wheel. Usuallly located near the tire pressure valve. You can hold the programmer near the tire and valve and read the voltage of the batteries. I was told that a good, full battery was ~ 3.7 volts and a depleted, and not likely communicating with your dashboard and TPMS antennas battery at 2.7 volts. As I have said in another thread, all my sensor's batteries were bad at 2.5 years and needed to be replaced.... sadly, you cant replace just the batteries... you have to replace the whole sensor.

So, the programmer is handy to have. Once you get the baselines set for your tire loads and pressures, I have found that I dont have to adjust them again until something goes wrong.

Gary
Old 01-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
You could also have your dealer adjust them.
Gary, curious was yours programmed to work on FL asphalt temperatures or did it need reprogramming?
Old 01-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Gary, curious was yours programmed to work on FL asphalt temperatures or did it need reprogramming?

I had it reprogrammed at NIRVC and itís great......when it works!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #10

It took nirvc a month of throwing parts at my tpms to get it working. It seems to be working but I trust my aftermarket system much more.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #11

Which aftermarket did you go with? My oem tpms usually only shows 3 or 4 wheels at any given time.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
I had it reprogrammed at NIRVC and it’s great......when it works!
Thanks for that information. I thought for sure, after 2 years they would be programmed ready to go.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:59 AM   #13

Chuck

I think it depends heavily on how you use your coach. Some coach owners have their coach loaded down heavy all the time (full timers?) and other owners have their coach very lite as maybe they only use it for weekenders or football game housing. I think that I carry more weight than many as I carry a pretty complete set of mechanic tools in my forward passenger compartment.... a lot more tools than many owners travel with. So, I dont think that you can get a system like the Valor to work well without knowing how the coach is really going to be used and loaded by the owners.... The baselines and the alarm warning pressures are too "tight" to have a set it once and forget it kind of approach. IMO, the OP is doing it right... getting real 4-corner weights and adjusting for his typical loads.

Im not saying the baselines need to be set frequently. As you well know, I went crazy when I first picked up my coach in 2018 and the drive back from Atlanta was a constant ringing of the alarms as my baselines were set for an empty coach with nothing in it. That was compounded by dealers that had no idea how to set the pressures as my coach was one of the first coaches that NIRVC - Atlanta had ever gotten the chance to reprogram, and frankly, they programmed my tires terribly the first time.... they were learning how to use the programmer. Once I got 4-corner weights that were accurate for how Dee and I load our coach for travel and use, Don Rigby was able to recommend appropriate baselines, and I have now used the coach for 2.75 years and > 35,000 miles and have never had an over or under pressure alarm. Again, as you know, my only real problem was the batteries crapped out in 2.5 years and the whole sensors were replaced under warranty (probably due to old batteries/sensors when first installed by Spartan). Otherwise, the TPMS has worked nicely since.

And you notice few new owners complaining about this issue in the past 1.5 years or more so dealers and owners are getting more used to how to set this all up.

Gary
Old 01-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Gary BINGO!! A high dollar coach and no way to program or the paramators set wide enough for the owner to use the coach in hot parts of the country without dash warnings. Why is the programmer not included if it is going to be put on the market as a DIY kit?

If I can purchase a $350. after market TPMS that works perfect right out of the box, then why not the TMPS installed on a very expensive coach? Either included the programmer, or make it a system that works upon delivery. I don't think that is asking too much.

While we are on the subject, Spartan, Entegra, Don Rigby or whoever has not made any attempted to correct the factory settings, from 2019 to 2021 model years. The same dash warning as soon as the outside temperature reaches 95 degrees and the pavement heats up. Why? My coach was 4 corner weighed at NIRVC, tire pressure adjusted and I was told the TPMS was in tolerance for settings.. That lasted as far a Macon GA before the dash lit up with warnings.

Tags
tpms