Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Resin for water softener

I believe I am needing to replace my water softner resin while I am on the road. Is anyone familiar with where to purchase the resin and the steps to replace.
Just recharged yesterday and water is extremely hard overnight. We have the standard model on the go water softner.
Thanks for any assistance in the matter.
LVUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I buy my filters and supply here

Water Softener Resin | Media & Resin | Water Softeners Filters
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVUS101 View Post
I believe I am needing to replace my water softner resin while I am on the road. Is anyone familiar with where to purchase the resin and the steps to replace.
Just recharged yesterday and water is extremely hard overnight. We have the standard model on the go water softner.
Thanks for any assistance in the matter.
I believe if you go on there web site, they have all you need including some instructions of how to take care of it.
Bpeter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Jim,
I recharged mine for the first time in 10 years last summer. Before you give up on it, test the water before the softener and then again after. It may be the water is to hard to get completely soft. Also back flush the softener......hook the hose up backwards on the softener and flush it for about a minute.

Remove the cap and if the beads have gone to dark amber they do need to be replaced, but they last a long time....years.

I bought my resin at a local water softener shop for $12. It was enough to recharge two units, but it was the smallest quantity they had. There are "how to" recharge videos on Youtube that made the job easy.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, if your resin is still this color, it is fine. If it is real dark amber, it's time to replace. Hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #6

I sure appreciate the help everyone. Good information. I am in a state park in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota. I spoke to a softwater company shortly after I posted today. They told me to come down and the sold me a pound of resin for my system. They told me where I am at has very high iron and other hard substances in the water. They told me the system we have may not be able to handle the iron. Even after regeneration before the purchase of the resin I tested the water and the test stick was blood red. I may have inadvertently dumped some of my resin out so will replace it tomorrow and see if changes anything. May just be the terribly hard water my system can't handle.
Chuck why is the resin up in your tank and visible. Mine is down inside the tank.
Thanks for the pictures Chuck
Old 08-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I had just drained the water out to regenerate. I laid the softener on it's side to drain and when I removed the lid some of the resin was at the top so I remembered to take a photo of the color for you. I pushed it down with a screwdriver before adding the salt.

I also just went through the heavy iron water as well, maybe not as bad as you, but enough that I changed the pre-filter and regenerated the softener. There are going to be times that we get into parks that have untreated well water that our little softeners cannot do the jobs of City water treatment plants. That is where a complete RO systems comes in.

If you do not have a pre-filter before the softener, one really does help extend the life of changing the resin beads. After this trip, I am now a firm believer in pre-filters.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Thanks again. I have a prefilled and will change that also.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 PM   #9

Just updating the post. I added the resin I had lost and regenerated the system. The water remained extremely hard with very high levels of Iron. In the last 3 months on the road this is the hardest water we have found. Shower walls and glass are heavily stained despite continuous cleaning. No soap will lather.
Just a beware for anyone traveling to this park. The park is Shetek state park in Minnesota. The park is a great park with very large clean sites. The lake is nice and the area is surrounded by miles and miles of farming. Couple of small towns near by and great people everywhere. The water is a serious problem and I would bring a full water tank if we came here again.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
I wonder if this resin would be OK to use in my CR Spotless system? Their replacement resin is a bit expensive. ($215 for 1 cu. ft.)
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
I wonder if this resin would be OK to use in my CR Spotless system? Their replacement resin is a bit expensive. ($215 for 1 cu. ft.)
There are different resins for softening and deionization. Be sure you get the right one.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Bob,
I just looked at their prices. I bought my water softener resin at a local water softener store for $35.. They sold me enough to do my little softener out of their bulk supply and I still have some left over. The same store sold me the DI resin just about as cheap. I think I have a little local gold mine for supplies.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Bob,
I just looked at their prices. I bought my water softener resin at a local water softener store for $35.. They sold me enough to do my little softener out of their bulk supply and I still have some left over. The same store sold me the DI resin just about as cheap. I think I have a little local gold mine for supplies.
I mqy need to get your source lol
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Come on down, I'll take you by the store, but no-way will I put it on the internet. They have a good parts dumpster too.

Tags
water