Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Restriction

I decided to take a peek in the compartment where the engine gets Air after passing through the Air Filter, only to find what others have reported. A piece of plywood restricting over half of what one would assume would make the engine breathe and preform better. Unfortunately I cannot locate the old thread describing how to move the plywood other than to cut it. More to examine tomorrow. I cannot believe that Entegra would put this purposeful obstruction, no matter what the explanation.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Found the post about the restriction. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/air-...in-366194.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

My memory is that the advice was to use a screw to hold the flap open. It is there to help prevent water coming from the external air intake vent in the rear cap from being sucked directly into the air filter and then into the engine. So you want to keep the flap from restricting air flow but not remove its water diverting function.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #4

I’m no engineer, but have a fair amount of common sense and cannot wrap my head around a piece of plywood hanging straight down covering 2/3rds of the filter opening as being acceptable. I will make my own modification where my coach will function as designed. The motor needs fuel and air to function properly. It has plenty of fuel, it’s the Air it is lacking. Not after today.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
I’m no engineer, but have a fair amount of common sense and cannot wrap my head around a piece of plywood hanging straight down covering 2/3rds of the filter opening as being acceptable. I will make my own modification where my coach will function as designed. The motor needs fuel and air to function properly. It has plenty of fuel, it’s the Air it is lacking. Not after today.
I have to totally agree 100% The Travel Supreme had the same air box and filter setup. It did not have a water diverter restricting air flow of any kind. I drove that MH for 11 years, on the Travel Supreme forum for as many years and never heard of a filter coming apart from water intrusion.

If I find a restriction, I will also remove it and still not drive in heavy rain.
Keep us informed on what you find and how you removed it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
The question is whether or not it is lacking air. If the remaining space is big enough to let sufficient air pass then it is not a restriction it is a diverter. The engine might even be tuned to have some restriction there so removing it may cause problems. That is a classic issue with changing air filter housings on computer controlled engines.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #7

The thought of this air restriction is bothersome for me.. it sure if my coach has it but what everyone is saying we all do... someone said they switched in 16 although...
I know how important simple air flow is so important how something runs.
Any body have a photo of this air ply wood setup?
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #8

It was not designed to restrict air flow. It is a water diverted, but if it comes loose it will cover part of the intake. Push it back and install a screw through the side and in front of the diverted so it can't move and cover the intake. People can do whatever they want to their mh, just be aware if you have water ingestion into the engine and they find that diverted cut out or gone you may own the repair.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
OK...I'm missing something...what are your engines doing that makes you think they are not running correctly???? I would think it would be useful to have an impact before IDing and fixing a cause. Otherwise I'd call it tinkering w/o understanding what I would be trying to achieve. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #10

Dave

Several have reported that when they install a new air filter, they still see their filter replacement gauge reads very high as though their engine is “straining” to get air as it would with a dirty filter ( but a brand new one was installed)

On my coach, the filter replacement gauge showed that the filter was very dirty (restricted) when it was received from the factory with 1200 miles on the odometer. So I had the filter replaced early with a new filter and the pressure gauge initially looked good, but soon showed that it too was restricted. I am pretty sure that the air intake is partially restricted.

I forgot to have that on my list at my 2 year PDI so it has never been resolved. It will be resolved the next time the coach is in the shop.
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #11

I thought I posted photo’s, but they did not show? For some this is a water devirter, for others it is an obstruction. To me it is an obstruction, or was an obstruction. There as not way of pushing the 3/8 inch plywood up as it felt like it’s as fiberglassed up too far for me to see. I had to be a contortionist just to squeeze in far enough to see and work. Using one of those new vibrating cutting battery operated tools, I cut and removed the plywood. Took all of about 5 minutes. Then I cleaned and used self taping screws to mount the aluminum flange to the air box and sealed it with 4 inch Ethernabond. Installed a new K&N Air Filter and done. In total, taking my time the project took about 2 hours. Started the engine and to me, it sounded quieter because the box is sealed with no leaks. We are leaving for a short trip in a week and will report the difference.

Oh yea, the obstruction (plywood) was blocking about 2/3rds of the entire opening.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #12

Obstruction

Photos
Old 12-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, I appreciate and understand that a dirty filter may diminish engine performance, but no one has indicated how this partial obstruction (which appears to be there for a purpose (in the Travel Sup and Enter design for well over ten years) impacts real time or long term performance. That is my point.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #14

I kind of look at like this. Put a piece of cardboard over the end of a shop vacuum and cover the opening 2/3rd’s and turn it on. Listen to the motor labor and suck up some dirt. Then remove the obstruction (cardboard) and turn it on and listen to the difference and suck up more dirt. Labored motor uses more electricity and decreases the life. Same should stand true for gas/diesel motors.

I know from experience that some engines using computers will be affected if you remove something that causes back pressure. However, I have never heard of anything engineered (probably is though) that is affected if you allow more air. This “more air” is not forced air, rather suction from the Turbo.