RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #1

Retro band redesign/recall

Wow, so I was going to get retro bands earlier in the year at the Atlanta National Indoor Rv Center. Then I had a bit of a health scare and the virus came so I postponed it till next week. They just called me and told me that they have discovered a design flaw in the retro bands ... and that they donít know when they will be re-designed and available again... WoW

buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I like the basic design of the RettroBand better than the Tyron bands. I would like to get these too. Thanks for posting about the issue.

I wonder if Rettroband is contacting pervious buyers to let them know (and provide an upgraded product) - that would be the level of customer service I'd like to see.

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #3

I was told about 6 months ago that the Retroband people were doing a whole series of safety tests and test comparisons this past spring. The additional testing was to be done in Australia. With COVID-19 problems, dont know if those came off as planned, but wonder if this is related. This notice is the first that I have heard anything about the retrofit or production problems.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #4

Well then. That settles that debate. I was on the fence on getting them in my Cornerstone. I'm going to sit this out and see where the dust settles
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
My procrastination always seems to work out!
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #6

Just put new front tires on this week, I kept my tyrons. Like I said months ago until a product is proven, I have no issue in keeping with an older tried product.
Dieselgem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #7

I have a set of them, and have not heard anything. OTOH, they have not had any chance of failure, given that the coach has been sitting for months.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #8

I have not talk to anybody from Retroband,,,, iím just repeating what National Indoor RV Center service rep told me this morning on the phone. You might call them and get it straight from the horses mouth.... He referred to ďthis batchĒ of Retrobands.... I donít know what that means... he did also say, his words... ď they found a design flawĒ 🤷🏻
Old 07-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #9

Would you mind passing the name of the rep that you talked to? I purchased mine and had them installed last week at NIVRC Lewisville. If they new last week that is very alarming and does not bode well to sell a known defective product.
jwprosser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #10

Iím in the same boat. Had them installed last month in Phoenix. No mention by service rep of any issues but will be on the phone soon.
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #11

HYUN WOO CHO.... he goes by Woo... he is out of the Lawrenceville location.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #12

NIRVC is the EXCLUSIVE North American Dealer for RetroBands and so, there is no better horses mouth to talk to than any of their sales people at NIRVC.... Im sure you will get the straight story from them. The only more direct contact would be with the manufacturer is a military armament manufacturer in Australia.... dont remember the actual manufacturer name.

You can rely on NIRVC to know what is going on, if anything...

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #13

Yes by all means,,,, but as I said, Woo told me they will not be selling or installing any retro bands for the foreseeable future at any of their locations...Iíve stated the reason he told me... I would love to hear from anybody else that talks to anybody at National Indoor Rv Center...✝️
Old 07-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I had the privilege to speak with Brett Davis, CEO of NIRVC, regarding the RetroBands just a few minutes ago. Here is a short update:

There were recently 5 RetroBands failures, one last year and four just recently. None of which involved a blowout. All five, the RetroBands separated while traveling causeing no damage. After extensive research they found the problem was caused by third party installers throwing the instructions away and not following torque specifications. Instead tire shops installed them with impact wrenches over torquing the RetroBands causing them to separate.

RetroBands is designing a Torque Brake, that will prevent incorrect installation in the future. Current RetroBands owners will receive the new devise to be added so any future tire changes will not be affected by a third party that does not know the method of tightening RetroBands . If your RetroBands were installed properly at NIRVC there is no problem. If they were installed by a 3rd party that used an air impact wrench instead of a wrench to just snug them, they will need to be remounted.

Brett is in the process (I interrupted him) of getting a personal email out to each customer with the update and the corrective measure. There is no problem with the existing RetroBands, only if they were not installed properly.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall