Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 06:29 AM   #211
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Thanks Chuck. Have an install scheduled for about 5 weeks from now, and talked my sister/BIL into getting a set as well.

Am I remembering correctly it's OK to ride on them for x miles, to get off an interstate, get to safe place to park? What's the official word on the run flat capabilities?

Also, in the hopefully unlikely event of a blowout, does the one on the blown tire need to be removed and replaced later, or have a replacement tire installed with the one that just took the blowout?
In both the tests performed both on V1 and V2, the blown tire was driven on for several miles. However, our recommendation is to drive on the blown tire only at low speeds, and only to pull over to the shoulder of the road to get to safety. RettroBands main goals are to keep control of the coach and to keep the tire on the rim to prevent any additional damage to the RV.

In the event of a tire blow out, we recommend having the RettroBand removed from the rim (no special tools required). Bring the band to your nearest NIRVC location so it can be inspected. In most cases the band can be reinstalled into the new tire.
574-312-9850
Chuck Lasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 06:45 AM   #212

Well, Rettrobands claims have retrenched quite a bit, but of course, the real purpose is to prevent loss of control at speed, so that is issue #1. How far to get off the road safely is a different issue.... I've been on roads out in Montana and Idaho, that were many miles before I could pull off anywhere other than the road itself unless I tried to descend steep banks on both sides.... so if I could not travel at slow speeds, it would be 4-way flashers and orange hazzards cones sitting right in the middle of my lane until help arrived. This IS an issue, at least to me !

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:49 AM   #213
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger8070 View Post
We picked up our coach in Oct 2020 and placed our order for retrobands then and are still waiting to hear something. I understand about the supply chain issues and replacing the owners original retrobands with the improved version but someone within NIRVC has a waiting list. I guess with Covid, high diesel prices, and now the projected diesel rationing we won't be driving much so don't need retrobands!
Please reach out to me directly so I can find out the details of your RettroBand purchase. If you have paid for a set and have not yet received them, you are definitely a high priority. Clasley@nirvc.com is the best email address to get a hold of me. We would like to find a way to get you taken care of.
574-312-9850
Old 05-24-2022, 08:51 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Well, Rettrobands claims have retrenched quite a bit, but of course, the real purpose is to prevent loss of control at speed, so that is issue #1. How far to get off the road safely is a different issue.... I've been on roads out in Montana and Idaho, that were many miles before I could pull off anywhere other than the road itself unless I tried to descend steep banks on both sides.... so if I could not travel at slow speeds, it would be 4-way flashers and orange hazzards cones sitting right in the middle of my lane until help arrived. This IS an issue, at least to me !

Gary
Even much of the roads I travel on in Arkansas are that way. No mountains, but many roads with nothing more than about a 6" paved shoulder (yes, inch) and then a few feet of gravel steeply sloping away into ditches or down hillsides.

So, I guess it's a trade off of running the risk that the rettroband collapses at low speed and potential rim damage while trying to find a suitable parking spot, vs. stopping in the middle of a lane on a two lane road.

For me, it's about every edge possible to not loose control and tumble down the side of those roads, so anything beyond that would just be a bonus.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #215

Thanks Gary & Chuck. Has not been much info about this in months since Brett last reported on the status of the new bands.
roger8070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:35 AM   #216

Entegra Owners Club
One thing that I learned from Chuck Lasley is that the age of the tire should determine whether or not the old RB is changed out for the new one. In my case, he told me that they should not have changed mine out, but it was done anyway. Chuck?
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #217

Stu

I'm lookin' forward to hearing the logical connection of those two issue (how those two issues interact)

Gary
Old 05-27-2022, 11:04 AM   #218
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcosdad View Post
Same question asked a different way. Which of the NIRVC installers followed the install instructions, and which ones did not? If any were installed correctly, that would be some relief for those owners. Brett????
98% were installed correctly…very few have had issues. Those bands with issues were installed by 3rd party commercial installers. As soon as NIRVC understood what was happening…additional training was instituted. Then the decision was made to stop using 3rd party installers altogether. NIRVC then invested in the proper tire break-down, installation and balancing equipment at all 5 locations. Now all installations are done by NIRVC trained technicians. Thank you for asking.
574-312-9850
Old 05-27-2022, 11:09 AM   #219

So, there IS NO CONNECTION between tire age and retrobrand vintage.

Me thinks, Stu, you "misheard" something or someone mis-spoke.

Gary
Old 05-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
So, there IS NO CONNECTION between tire age and retrobrand vintage.

Me thinks, Stu, you "misheard" something or someone mis-spoke.

Gary
Just had this discussion with Chuck a few weeks ago. The issue with tire age is the risk of damaging the lip of the tire when taking the tire off, installing the retrroband and reinstalling the tire.

It's nothing to do with the retrroband, per se, but instead that the older rubber is going to be less pliant and more likely to be damaged during the unmount/install/remount process.

Their rule of thumb is after about four years of age, the risk of damage probably outweighs attempting the install. He might add some flavor, but I think that's the gist of it.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #221
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Just had this discussion with Chuck a few weeks ago. The issue with tire age is the risk of damaging the lip of the tire when taking the tire off, installing the retrroband and reinstalling the tire.

It's nothing to do with the retrroband, per se, but instead that the older rubber is going to be less pliant and more likely to be damaged during the unmount/install/remount process.

Their rule of thumb is after about four years of age, the risk of damage probably outweighs attempting the install. He might add some flavor, but I think that's the gist of it.
This is exactly correct. A tire age is extremely important when deciding on a RettroBand installation. We inspect very carefully tires 3 years and older for the exact reason Gary provided above. Tires go through many different conditions and wear differently depending on pressure, balance and alignment. Pliability during installation is crucial in avoiding bead damage.
574-312-9850
Old 05-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #222

Newmar Owners Club
One related question Mr. Lasley. When it is time to get new tires on the drive axle can that be done locally or do we need to drive to a NIRVC for removal and installation of the Rettroband? I had mine installed Jan 2022.

Your input is much appreciated
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:57 AM   #223
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I like the basic design of the RettroBand better than the Tyron bands. I would like to get these too. Thanks for posting about the issue.

I wonder if Rettroband is contacting pervious buyers to let them know (and provide an upgraded product) - that would be the level of customer service I'd like to see.
Yes…RettroBand is attempting to contact those who have purchased RettroBands via email with a scheduling link. We are going in order of purchase and as supplies become available. Those who presently have a set of version 1 (yellow band) can also call their local store to see what availability there is. (800)250-6354
574-312-9850
Old 05-28-2022, 07:19 AM   #224
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
One related question Mr. Lasley. When it is time to get new tires on the drive axle can that be done locally or do we need to drive to a NIRVC for removal and installation of the Rettroband? I had mine installed Jan 2022.

Your input is much appreciated
For clarification…RettroBands should only be placed on the steer tires. In addition, RettroBands should only be installed or re-installed by an NIRVC location. NIRVC can install replacement tires that are purchased elsewhere, or we can help coordinate the purchase of tires and help in that regard as well.

If your tire requires replacement on the side of the road, the commercial installer should remove the bands (no special tools required). We recommend placing the bands in one of your storage bays. Bring the bands into NIRVC for inspection and reinstallation.
574-312-9850

Tags
recall