Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #85

Gary, we had ours installed in Phoenix by the NIRVC team late June or very early July. My service writer Richie pointed that out when we were discussing my timing. Would not bet on it but I think they were already aware.
The explanation by Brett is pretty clear, at least for me.
Do email him directly if you have not gotten his original email. He will reply, and usually promptly.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasley5 View Post
I am calling bull--- on the only issue being installation. If that was the case, they would not be redesigning the product! I got Brett's very long email about this and very much appreciate the communication. However, it seems to me that there is far more to this than just "over-tightening". I was advised to take them off, to the point that I bought new tires a bit early so I would have less to worry about without the protection they were to provide.

I am sure there will be much more to follow!
Do you know exactly what is being redesigned?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #87

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
BTW- Brett, who owns NIRVC, is part owner of Retroband
Did you read the entire thread?
Old 08-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #88

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I am calling bull--- on the only issue being installation. If that was the case, they would not be redesigning the product! I got Brett's very long email about this and very much appreciate the communication. However, it seems to me that there is far more to this than just "over-tightening". I was advised to take them off, to the point that I bought new tires a bit early so I would have less to worry about without the protection they were to provide.

I am sure there will be much more to follow!

I did not buy into this design as I previously stated but if I had I would remove them until a proven fail safe design was field tested.
Please be safe!
JMO, Steve
C310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Do you know exactly what is being redesigned?

They are putting a steel band all the way through both pieces then bolting them together with the gearbox thus spreading the torque in a continuous circle.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #90
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
One more comment- I absolutely love NIRV Texas! They have been very responsive and communicative and have great attitudes. I would recommend them to anyone. Not too fond of retrobands at the moment, but I would not suggest that this is a reflection at on on NIRV

Good morning Lasley5,

I want to thank you for both your patronage at our Lewisville facility, as well as, your very kind words about our staff. We‘re truly grateful for your business, and greatly appreciate your compliment of our staff.

However, I was saddened to read you don’t believe over tightening has been the cause of 4 Rettroband failures. The fifth failure we’re still awaiting results back from the lab. I wasn’t in anyway trying to covering up or mislead our customers in my email. I had three objectives with my communication.

First, to convey the cause, along with all the information known to me from the lab, photos, videos, engineers, etc. documenting the cause. Hence, the need for a long email.

Secondly, to convey the solution, which is to add a steel band inside both Rettroband halves, thereby tethering the two pins to each other. These steel bands would, in effect, act as a torque brake against the over tightening of the gearbox when pulling the two halves together. I agree with you, any change to the product would by definition, be a “redesign” of the product. I believe where we disagree is why the “redesign” is being made. We’re “redesigning” the product with the steel band inside the Rettroband halves to mitigate, if not eliminate, the ability of third party installers to over tighten the system, whereas you believe the addition of the steel band inside the Rettroband halves is to correct some other undisclosed design flaw, or problem in the product. This is a relatively simple product comprised of two polyurethane composite halves held together with two bolts passing through two gearboxes into four pins. Given we have never had a bolt, gearbox, or pin fail in testing, or on the road, only the two polyurethane halves remain. I consider feedback a gift, so I am sincerely, and genuinely interested in hearing what you feel the additional problem(s) might be?

Thirdly, to own the problem, let our customers know we will make it right, and we will do so on our dime, not theirs.

When properly installed, I believe the existing product is better than anything currently on the market, or nothing at all, because to my knowledge, it’s still the only product which has been truly field tested by blowing a tire on a coach loaded with ballast, traveling at 65mph, while videoing the blowout. All other products I’m aware of let the air out of the tire before driving and videoing, which is very different than blowing a tire at speed.

Lastly, I full-time in my coach and live at our Lewisville facility when I’m not traveling. I also eat lunch and dinner everyday, and much prefer to do so with a customer. I would love the opportunity to take you to lunch or dinner the next time you’re in and address any questions, or concerns you may have about Rettroband. Please just call or text me when you know you’re coming. My cell is (972) 740-5065.

Sent from my iPhone
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
BrettDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:09 AM   #91

RetroBand Recall?

I emailed Brett and he responded promptly and personal. He will take care of the original Retrobands with the redesign when available even though mine were installed by the NIRV crew and not the third party guys. He stands behind what he sells regardless. That says alot. Brett and NIRV has class.
That said, all engineered products are subject to design changes and modifications to make them better and correct flaws that appear with age, usage, and incorrect installation by persons that don't read and follow installation instructions. It is hard to design a product as idiot proof when there is always someone lowering the bar on the idiot.
gleamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #92

[emoji106]standup guy.... A breath of fresh air for the RV industry...
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
We are all blessed to have Brett and NIRVC in this industry. Who said unicorns don’t exist?
Old 08-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #94

As I've remarked to various people on various occasions...

There may be more genuine individuals on this earth than Brett Davis and Angie Morell, but I have yet to meet them.

And the good thing is, virtually everyone in the NIRVC organization reflects those same values. Anyone who doesn't probably won't be there very long.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoyer View Post
I’m not exactly sure what a retro band is, but if it’s a retread of an old tire with a “band” that replaces the worn down tread... well OMG!!!!! It’s still an OLD tire carcass!!! OMG PLEASE DON’T DRIVE BESIDE ME!!!! By the time the original tread is worn away the carcass has used up all it’s resistance to heat and constant major flexing on the highway!! The trucking industry pretty much gave up on “Bandag” retreads years ago as a dangerous deadly tire system. You are taking your family’s lives and gambling them away!
The Retroband is none of those things. Before publicly protesting something it helps if you know what it is.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post

There may be more genuine individuals on this earth than Brett Davis and Angie Morell, but I have yet to meet them.

And the good thing is, virtually everyone in the NIRVC organization reflects those same values. Anyone who doesn't probably won't be there very long.

X2
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post

X3.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #98

Entegra Owners Club
After reading Brett's reaction to the Retrobands, and seeing the action first hand, I am currently at NIRVC now. It would be fatalistic if Spartan would have 50% of the business professionalism as Brett Davis does. I have personally experienced Spartan's problems with steering, radiators and DEF sensors. Not so with Brett Davis, or anything he puts his name too. He corrects and recalls a problem, does Spartan? They only correct during warranty, after that you are on your own.

If Brett Davis would build chassis, I would buy one tomorrow.

As Larry said, there is not a better class act in the RV industry.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall