Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
RF Mogul retrofit

As I previously posted, I wasn't a great fan of my Winegard Travlr. The customer support was poor, I had two Dish reflectors suffer metal fatigue and blow off the coach when stowed while traveling and finally the SAT dish software was not compatible when I upgraded to my Dish Hopper3 (which I love).

I bought the RF Mogul after careful research but stored it in the box until my work schedule allowed time for the install. Of course the delay put me in bad weather to work around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish Network Hopper 3™ Wiring.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	187451

My first step was to mount the RF Mogul temporarily to a piece of plywood and use temporary connections to verify it would work in my wiring. It did

The hard part on my Anthem 44B is where the entertainment center is located.
The RG-6 antenna cable and old Winegard control cables run from behind the fireplace to the outer fiberglass shell then along the slide out room frame and into a slide out channel bar and finally into the coach. Running the wire that way would exceed the 40 ft maximum length for the RF Mogul 11 wire control coax. The only solution was to abandon the entertainment center and locate the control box in one of the upper cabinets near the cap like my old Monaco had. The top left cabinet was ideal, with a 110v plug operated on the inverter. Now my control wire run was about 20ft.

The first step was build a shelf for the control box.

Name:	IMG_5396.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	187464

Next I ran the RG-6 new cable to the future SAT dish location and into the cap and cabinet. Sealed all the holes. Ran a new RG-6 cable from the new cabinet location down the pillar, along the frame to the midship coax junction location, near the water pump, for the future connection. Then rained out, 7 days.

Name:	IMG_5398.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	187465

After the rain and cold was "gut check" day. Used a heat gun and paint thinner to remove Eternabond on old SAT dish and sealant. Removed old Travlr. Terrible job. Took about 4 hours to end up with a clean roof. Sealed old holes and Eternabond patches.

Installed new RF Mogul. Heavy mutha to carry up ladder. 8 lag screws, sealant in every hole and on each screw. Put new Eternabond on screws. Since wiring already in place job took about one hour. Connected cables and whammo turned on SAT receiver and locked. Signal was within 1-2% of the signal on each Satellite was previously but signal locked with 3 mins vs 10-15 mins.

Name:	IMG_5399.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	187466

The only puzzle was how to retrofit the former magnetic contact switch that indicates SAT dish stowed.

Name:	IMG_5408.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	187467

NOTE: I'm sorry for the poor posting I'm having troubles editing this post to add the photos.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Excellent post Dave. Thank you for sharing. I was wondering the difficulty in the switch over. Look forward to the photos
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #3

Left hand forward cabinet is where I also put the control box. Worked great and isn't that blue light pretty at night?
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Cabinet pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0C32E5C1-443A-43B5-B86A-C65B9DD47BAF.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	187488  
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice write up and installation. While our RF Mogul is for Direct TV, I am always impressed how quickly the thing locks onto the satellites....much faster than the Traveler it replaced. I think that might be due to the fact that the Mogul has a GPS module in the unit.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Very nice ... I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I wish I could have kept mine and really figured out how to do it - but I don't do roofs and couldn't find the "right" service to get it done correctly. Again, very nice!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

Very nice writeup. Satisfying when a plan comes together.

My coach came with the in-motion Direct TV, which would only do SD resolution. But it is nice to use on the road with kids.

I added the Winegard Travler - so we have HD TV when stationary. I have found that if the Winegard does not acquire the satellites quickly, if I shut it down and retry, it does so in short order.

We have DirecTV because of my wife's addiction to NFL & DirecTV Sunday Ticket. For reasons unknown, she has abandoned the NFL and cancelled Sunday Ticket so I may investigate the Dish option.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
DirecTV because of my wife's addiction to NFL & DirecTV Sunday Ticket. For reasons unknown, she has abandoned the NFL and cancelled Sunday Ticket so I may investigate the Dish option.
I like your DW's style I also dropped and switched. Very pleased with the Hopper 3 equipment.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote