Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #1

Ride height in reverse

My new to me 2015 Aspire squats down in the rear about 4 inches or so when placed into reverse. I need all the clearance I can get to negotiate backing up my drive. Does anyone have a fix for this?

John Morse
2015 Aspire 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorse1 View Post
My new to me 2015 Aspire squats down in the rear about 4 inches or so when placed into reverse. I need all the clearance I can get to negotiate backing up my drive. Does anyone have a fix for this?

John Morse
2015 Aspire 44b
John,

What you are seeing is the tag axle dumping most of its air which will cause the back end to squat. I think in your year of coach the option to turn off the automatic tag dump was non existent. Later years could turn it off.

Try placing planks down on the ground to ease the transition point when backing up.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
John,

What you are seeing is the tag axle dumping most of its air which will cause the back end to squat. I think in your year of coach the option to turn off the automatic tag dump was non existent. Later years could turn it off.

Try placing planks down on the ground to ease the transition point when backing up.
Thanks for the info, yes that's it exactly!... now I'm wondering where the dump valve is located and how I can bypass the dump.

John Morse
2015 Aspire 44b
Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
You need to be able to override the tag auto air dump when shifting into reverse. This will help to maintain height when backing up a drive. It was not a standard option until 2016. I had this problem on a 2014 loaner to see if it would clear while backing up my drive. It didn't. Entegra and Spartan designed a temporary switch to not dump when in reverse and it fixed the problem. I then ordered a 2016 EC, and it came with the standard new switch which has been standard since.

Spartan can help you with the wiring points. Also there has been others here that have done it themselves.

Try the planks to see if your close. The override sw. may get another 3 inches or so of more clearance.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the info, yes that's it exactly!... now I'm wondering where the dump valve is located and how I can bypass the dump.

John Morse
2015 Aspire 44b
John,

Pat gives some good points in solving this long term. For reference the tag dump valve is on the drivers side frame rail (inboard) just forward of the tag wheel.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
John,

Pat gives some good points in solving this long term. For reference the tag dump valve is on the drivers side frame rail (inboard) just forward of the tag wheel.
Just what I am looking for!....who is Pat?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Just what I am looking for!....who is Pat?
Post #4 above. Freshair.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
You need to be able to override the tag auto air dump when shifting into reverse. This will help to maintain height when backing up a drive. It was not a standard option until 2016. I had this problem on a 2014 loaner to see if it would clear while backing up my drive. It didn't. Entegra and Spartan designed a temporary switch to not dump when in reverse and it fixed the problem. I then ordered a 2016 EC, and it came with the standard new switch which has been standard since.

Spartan can help you with the wiring points. Also there has been others here that have done it themselves.

Try the planks to see if your close. The override sw. may get another 3 inches or so of more clearance.

Pat
Thank you!....the plank idea is great,but blocking the road with a 45 ft beast while laying out planking will not be a good thing in my development nor do I want to do this after driving all day to get back home....so, I think automatically bypassing this function is the way to go! I can get the right up the drive the way it is but I've only about 1inch clearance.

Thanks again

John Morse
2015 Aspire 44b
Old 01-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Here is a dump valve mod post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/disc...mp-293454.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you!....the plank idea is great,but blocking the road with a 45 ft beast while laying out planking will not be a good thing in my development nor do I want to do this after driving all day to get back home....so, I think automatically bypassing this function is the way to go! I can get the right up the drive the way it is but I've only about 1inch clearance.

Thanks again

John Morse
2015 Aspire 44b
Hey John, Your welcome. BTW my suggestion is for additional clearance behind the drive axle.

BTW, Brobox's reference is very good. Ted Cook was the guy that put it
all altogether. Good luck.

Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 01-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #11

“.....the wire on pin 37 going into the Spartan Control Module (SCM) is the automatic tag dump input”

Can someone share the SCM pinout diagram?
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
“.....the wire on pin 37 going into the Spartan Control Module (SCM) is the automatic tag dump input”

Can someone share the SCM pinout diagram?
Mike McConnel, spelling iffy, Entegra CS
FMCA 212171
Old 01-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #13

Although everyone is exactly right in the suggestions that have been given to the OP, I want to go back to his first post.... and that is that he says that his coach "squats" down in the rear end when he backs up. Now, IMHO, that just should not be happening. As everyone says, yes, the tag will dump much of its air and that will mean that the tag is bearing less of the overall weight in the rear of his coach, but I have now owned 2 Entegra coaches on Spartan chassis and at no point, has the rear end of my coach squatted 4" when the tag has been dumped. I just dont think that is normal. I wonder if somehow the pressure is being taken off both the tag and the drive axle, not just off the tag. Or, is his pressure too high in the tag tires or the tag air bags so that the tag is actually carrying more of the weight than it typically should be carrying and therefore, the rear end of his coach is sitting too high under "normal" conditions.

What air pressure are you running in your tag tires? What tire pressures are you running in your drive tires? Is the 4 inches a real measurement? That just does not seem right to me. Now, my DW doesn't drive the coach so I am typically behind the wheel, but that means that when I am in the position to watch what my coach does from outside when some tech drives it or someone else is moving it for some reason, I watch the coach like an eagle to know what it is doing, and I have never seen my coach squat down as the rear dumps.....

Am I just missing something. Is this typical? Have other owners seen their coaches squat down when going into reverse or just making a tight turn? I have never seen anyone elses rear end of the coach squat down when it backs up or releases the tag dump either. I might be wrong.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #14

Mine does not change as far as I know and friend that has gone thru 3 Entregra in last 5 years does not seam to make a difference when they start to back up.