RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

RING Doorbell

We are thinking about installing a ring door bell on our 2019 Aspire. Not sure about drilling holes in coach. Has anyone installed on of these?? And if so where did you place the device. Thanks in advance.
Armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armye7 View Post
We are thinking about installing a ring door bell on our 2019 Aspire. Not sure about drilling holes in coach. Has anyone installed on of these?? And if so where did you place the device. Thanks in advance.

You can get a wireless door bell at Amazon or HD or Lowes or ACE.
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #3

It is wireless but still need to mount on coach. Just don’t want to drill through wires.
Armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

Instead of drilling holes, I'd probably apply some 3M VHB tape to the back and call it a day. VHB tape is routinely used to hold the mounts for solar panels to the roof, so it would certainly hold a Ring or other similar device, and no worries about placement or drilling issues.

I use the stuff on vehicle exteriors all the time and it works well.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could tape it off neatly and put some Dicor around it to trim it up.

If you ever wanted to remove it, just take some dental floss and see-saw through the VHB tape to remove the device, then just clean off the tape.

Allen
AllenIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenIN View Post
Instead of drilling holes, I'd probably apply some 3M VHB tape to the back and call it a day. VHB tape is routinely used to hold the mounts for solar panels to the roof, so it would certainly hold a Ring or other similar device, and no worries about placement or drilling issues.

I use the stuff on vehicle exteriors all the time and it works well.

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could tape it off neatly and put some Dicor around it to trim it up.

If you ever wanted to remove it, just take some dental floss and see-saw through the VHB tape to remove the device, then just clean off the tape.

Allen
X2, I use the gray 3M body tape to apply commercial for rent signs. One even went through a hurricane. It will peel off once you get it stated. Also the way I would go if using the battery model. I purchase mine at Walmart in the paint department.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have the battery Ring doorbell installed on our Carriage House (tool shed) at our home RV park (Bella Terra). The battery lasts quite awhile, but that is standing still. Will probably go out really quickly running down the road! Remember that for it to work, it has to be hooked up to Wifi. If I were to put it on my RV, I would probably use the heavy duty tape mentioned above. That is what I used on my battery unit to put on my Carriage House.

Another thought for you, if you just want to use it when you are parked for sometime, put velco on the back of it and attach it to the RV with Velco. It wouldn't run down the battery like it will if cars are setting the recorder all the time, and you could take it off easily when you are on the road. Just a thought...
2019 Ram 1500
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I have the battery Ring doorbell installed on our Carriage House (tool shed) at our home RV park (Bella Terra). The battery lasts quite awhile, but that is standing still. Will probably go out really quickly running down the road! Remember that for it to work, it has to be hooked up to Wifi. If I were to put it on my RV, I would probably use the heavy duty tape mentioned above. That is what I used on my battery unit to put on my Carriage House.

Another thought for you, if you just want to use it when you are parked for sometime, put velco on the back of it and attach it to the RV with Velco. It wouldn't run down the battery like it will if cars are setting the recorder all the time, and you could take it off easily when you are on the road. Just a thought...
Very important points^^.

You can remove the battery during travels, but if you're at a CG with close neighbors, it will be very hard to set the sensitivity low enough to activate only for someone approaching you door.

The point about WiFi is critical. Your coach net router not only must be high speed, but your connection to the internet must also be high speed. The door bell detects motion, sends the data to the router, the router sends it to the web via your internet connection, from where it is sent to you phone via an app. If you equipment is inadequate, you will not get timely notifications of movement, if you get any notification at all. Trust me, the information in the instructions about minimum speeds is not accurate. My speeds, at home, were far over the minimums stated, but my bell would not detect motion even when I walked directly up to it. Only talking with the Geek Squad at Best Buy did I learn how high my speeds needed to be.

So, you need to analyze your proposed use. If in a permanent CG, you will be able to figure out if the wifi capabilities are adequate and, possibly, upgrade. If your plan is to use it while traveling to different parks, it will be hit and miss, at best.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know about RING, I have another brand, but I can turn mine off with the app, same as my security cameras and not have any battery draw.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Which brand did you get Chuck? You know how much I like to follow your example
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Which brand did you get Chuck? You know how much I like to follow your example
On the S&B I have the Skybell, no monthly fees, free recording for a week, transfer to my HD if I want. The Cameras are Arlo's battery operated.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
On the S&B I have the Skybell, no monthly fees, free recording for a week, transfer to my HD if I want. The Cameras are Arlo's battery operated.
My understanding is Skybell must be hooked up to an AC transformer, and must be connected to a chime or else have a resistor installed in the wiring. Simple for a S&B, but not so much for a MH.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
My understanding is Skybell must be hooked up to an AC transformer, and must be connected to a chime or else have a resistor installed in the wiring. Simple for a S&B, but not so much for a MH.
First line of my post did say S&B for that reason. 😊
Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
First line of my post did say S&B for that reason. 😊
My post was meant for the OP who was asking for use on a coach. Didn’t want him to be distracted by the short diversion in the thread.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #14

As we all know, typical forum behavior is not to read more than a couple posts earlier than the last post, so the chances for confusion are great... !!!!

Only the serious or bored seem willing to start all/most threads from the OP post and read through them all.... I have been guilty a couple of times.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door