Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It is an industry standard and is used by many manufacturers including Newmar and American Coach. It integrates with the installed Xite radio/nav system and I don't think any other brand of GPS does that. And it's really not bad if you learn how to use it. I really like it.

I see... said the blind man! Thanks!
tkmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
I have the Good Sam 7735, which is the same as the RM 7730. I find the GPS system to do an fair job. No GPS is perfect, they all will have faults! I would never blindly trust a GPS. I always use my Truckers Map to check my route. Even those maps are not to fully trusted, that is why you read signs along the way. Things change everyday, especially exits. They get moved all the time. The most important GPS is the one between your ears! Remember, If man made it, it can be screwed up. Happy Trails!
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #17

RM GPS

The only way I am comfortable is to preview my route at home using Google Maps or MapQuest. Then I can ignore the GPS if it comes up with an "original" route. For fun, I could turn on my RM, my old Garmin, my newer Garmin, and our two iPhone GPS apps, and let them DUKE IT OUT!!!
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #18

And you would be amazed at how frequently all three or four will tell you different things (Google maps and Apple maps will only tell you one thing each, but not necessarily the same thing). Reminds me of an old saying which is something like.... "The only time you know the exact time is when you have only one clock..... "

I have been using the Rand McNally system now for 30,000+ miles and 3 years and there are no problems with how I program it...... the problems are in the software.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The Rand McNally sometimes is a good mile late in showing lane change information on turns or route changes and the Garmin car type will give its information a mile earlier.
This is a setting in RM preferences and you can adjust it to any distance you want.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I personally wouldn't spend a couple of hundred dollars on a new GPS just to get a second routing opinion. You can use Mapquest, Google Maps, and the many nav apps that are available. We use Co-Pilot and it is a good app. Put your RM in the toad and switch to auto mode.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #21

Apple Maps and Google maps are fantastic helps to back up anything on the GPS but they are very data intensive when you are on the road. I take 18 Gigs of Verizon broadband service monthly and use almost all of it every month, but the data utilization of those programs while traveling is pretty prohibitive.

I don't use a GPS just for basic routing.... I want to know lane changes several miles before the exit... I want to know how many miles before X or Y, I want to have updates any time I glance at the fundamental data and that is easy to do with a GPS and not easy to do on an iPad or iPhone. Verifying a route is simple use, but I want the instantly updated data and to do that on a phone is a big "bandwidth gobbler". In addition, my GPS is easier to see on my speed than my dash speedometer so if I am looking for my speed, I am looking at the GPS for that most of the time (Its digital).

Gary
Old 04-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #22

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Apple Maps and Google maps are fantastic helps to back up anything on the GPS but they are very data intensive when you are on the road. I take 18 Gigs of Verizon broadband service monthly and use almost all of it every month, but the data utilization of those programs while traveling is pretty prohibitive.

I don't use a GPS just for basic routing.... I want to know lane changes several miles before the exit... I want to know how many miles before X or Y, I want to have updates any time I glance at the fundamental data and that is easy to do with a GPS and not easy to do on an iPad or iPhone. Verifying a route is simple use, but I want the instantly updated data and to do that on a phone is a big "bandwidth gobbler". In addition, my GPS is easier to see on my speed than my dash speedometer so if I am looking for my speed, I am looking at the GPS for that most of the time (Its digital).

Gary
Copilot RV running on an iPad doesn't use any data because the maps are on the device. The Copilot app is at least as dependable as any Garmin or RM gps system and much easier to use because it's on a larger screen and a screen that's been designed for zooming in and out and for scrolling using finger motions. Plus the screen size has room for step-by-step directions next to the map with distances to the next turn.

None of the dedicated gps units I've seen can touch an iPad for usability. The only drawback to an iPad is you need a navigator which is ultimately safer than constantly taking your eyes off the road to look at an in-dash unit. You do need an iPad with cellular, although the cellular service can be inactive. Only iPads with cellular are GPS capable.

Apple maps is still the worst for backup in my opinion. I only use Google maps on an iPhone when I need to check a route which isn't often because I always "fly" the route on Copilot the night before a trip
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #23

Bill

I will look into that, but it is not my understanding of how the mapping feature works. I will try it turning off WIFI and bluetooth and see what I get. When I go to sat. view, then I always understood that the pause and the gradual "fill" and definition of the image was due to the additional download of images via broadband to the pad. Are you saying that all of that imagery (street/map and sat view) is in the memory of the Pad or phone.... I don't think that is true and will be amazed if it is, but I will look into it. Thanks

Gary
Old 04-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #24

Bill

Just turned off my WIFI, my cell service, and my bluetooth.

Apple Maps centers and shows me a map of San Diego, which is the last place that I consulted an Apple map. If I try to scroll the map to the east along I-10, when I get into Arizona, the map stops and there is a blank screen as there is no update of map information.

In Google maps..... the phone puts a blue dot on a blank screen. I believe the blue dot is my "position" but there is no map at all.... blank screen.

Where are the maps?

Gary
Old 04-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, we do travel highways that are truck approved that are not part of the Interstate system. We mainly travel the green dot scenic routes, or major 2 lane and 4 lane highways. In all the years we have zig zagged the country, I don't ever recall ever having a bridge or overpass problem. Sharp curves.... I have had more than my share of those.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #26

Bill

I see that you appear to be talking about something that virtually none of the rest of us are talking about (I think). It appears that you are talking about a specific $50.00 iPhone and Android app available through Apple Store or Android which is a downloaded software application which you download to your phone or pad and then use without an internet connection. You weren't very clear (or I missed it totally until second slow read) about what means of navigation you were talking about. I'm not sure, now that I have read about software app that I understand how it is any superior to a standard GPS.

If the load limits, height, length, and weight functions actually do what they are supposed to do, then I am potentially interested as I have given several examples in this thread of how they do not work on my RM in-dash GPS. If you have time, either update here on more of what you are using or PM me and tell me more about it. I have read the overview, and not sure it worth the $50 but I am potentially interested.

Gary
Old 04-22-2016, 05:01 AM   #27

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Bill

I see that you appear to be talking about something that virtually none of the rest of us are talking about (I think). It appears that you are talking about a specific $50.00 iPhone and Android app available through Apple Store or Android which is a downloaded software application which you download to your phone or pad and then use without an internet connection. You weren't very clear (or I missed it totally until second slow read) about what means of navigation you were talking about. I'm not sure, now that I have read about software app that I understand how it is any superior to a standard GPS.

If the load limits, height, length, and weight functions actually do what they are supposed to do, then I am potentially interested as I have given several examples in this thread of how they do not work on my RM in-dash GPS. If you have time, either update here on more of what you are using or PM me and tell me more about it. I have read the overview, and not sure it worth the $50 but I am potentially interested.

Gary
Copilot is an app, and one that is used by quite a few travelers. TonyDi mentioned using it in this same thread. Based on other threads I've read I believe Copilot is the app of choice for most people who decide not to use the app that was "included" with their RV and who do not just bring along a Garmin or other device from their car.

The maps are loaded into the iPad or iPhone (there are no satellite or street views; that would be amazing). That's why I fly the route the night before on Google maps while on wifi so if I need a satellite view or street view I can use them.

When I load maps I load the entire North American continent, although the app allows smaller areas to be loaded. From what I can tell Copilot updates maps much more frequently than RM. I can browse the maps at any time without having to put in a destination and I can do it from the comfort of my sofa. While traveling I use an old Apple TV to mirror the route to my front TV so, if necessary, I can see the same screen my wife (the navigator) is viewing.

Copilot isn't perfect, but running on an iPad (which is designed to be swiped and scrolled and zoomed, and do it quickly and smoothly) is far superior in my experience to an app like Garmin or RM running on a low-end custom tablet with a 5 or 6 inch screen. Obviously there is higher overall cost to running on an iPad since you have to buy an iPad, but once you're parked the iPad has many other uses while a dedicated GPS sits idle.

I find the RM built into the "Infotainment" system to be unusable compared to what I am used to with Copilot so to me $50 for Copilot was an easy choice.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:12 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Bill, what about when traveling solo, not having a navigator to assist? How would you mount the iPad in that situation, and is it easily usable, zoomable etc with one hand? How is the search function to find campgrounds, rest areas, Walmarts etc? I find the RM to be excellent in that respect.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps