Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 04:39 AM   #1

Rock Guard vs Mud Flaps

I just destroyed my second rock guard. This time it was a truckers retread that I couldn't avoid. So now I'm thinking that I'd rather get some mud flaps like all the truckers use and ditch the full width rock guard. Has anyone done this and if so what did you replace it with?
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I haven’t seen anyone do it but I too have sworn that if I lose mine, I will replace them with real mudflaps. No actual bus manufacturer uses a full flap because they are useless! I’ve done a cursory look and it seems like there is enough steel behind the wheels to attach something.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:13 AM   #3

Shortly after purchase I made individual mud flaps for the front and behind the tag tires cut to size from truck mud flaps available at any parts or truck store . There was plenty of steel to drill into and bolt w/washers and they provide added protection from stones , debris etc. and were particularly useful in The Yukon and Alaska. Most difficult part was cutting the mud flaps to size !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #4

If you decide to stay with the OEM, you can buy directly from the OEM company and save a bit of money.

Mine came loose on one side and I drug it down the road with one side wearing away on the driver side until a trucker passed me and motioned that I had a problem. I don't remember the discount, but it was significant.

And that is exactly why I never follow a truck closely enough that I can't avoid road gators.... you don't have to worry about following cars at a distance because they can't pass over the gators, but trucks can, so I follow at a distance only.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:41 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is what I did.
Bought a set of generic mud flaps and cut them up to make extensions for each wheel. Secured with stainless bolts, nuts and fender washers, and never looked back. The new extensions hang 3" from the floor. No more 'flying sail" at the back end.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	346421  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #6

Mud Flaps, Mud Flaps. I did the same thing as Flyer15015 did and it works great for me. The Advertising Rock guard to me is just that Advertising.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #7

It might be just advertising, but it also is a nice "look" in my opinion. Its also the way the coach came from the assembly line. So, I replaced my rock guard because it looked good hanging there. Conversely, the mud flaps don't look "good" to me IMO.... might be cheap and more efficient, but they look like it. JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #8
WDW

I’m glad this discussion came up. Presently I am running naked —- that is to say my rear advertising flap broke loose on one side and we were dragging it down the highway. Dealing with that at the side of the road is not something that I need to ever deal with again. So I’m looking for options.

I agree with Gary that they had a upscale touch but I don’t know that they’re practical in their construction.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #9

Just buy the biggest truck mud flaps that will fit.
Some MHs have cut outs for Jack pads and IMO the larger the better even if you have to trim a little to make it fit.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Lost my first mud flap due to the cheap hardware coming apart prior to my 2 year AIM. Entegra replaced it under warranty. Lost my second mud flap when my own road gator from a front right blowout tore into it on the way back. Fortunately no damage to the Jeep. Lost my third mud flap because I stupidly did not go back and use better hardware and Loctite when the second one was replaced.

I still like the way they look so I bought one from the OEM with a customized message. Used heavier hardware and Loctite and check for tightness often. For better rock protection I installed a Roadmaster rock guard that stretches from the back of the RV to the front of the Jeep. I had previously gotten two nice big stars on the Jeep's windshield going through construction zones. Had it for about 12,000 miles now and no more stars...yet
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have mud flaps behind both the front and rear tires. I also have a "Rock Solid" vertical set of rock guards below where ther should be a rear bumper.

My thoughts are stop the stones from beating up the underside of the the MH, stop anything bouncing from hitting the toad.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
If you decide to stay with the OEM, you can buy directly from the OEM company and save a bit of money.

Mine came loose on one side and I drug it down the road with one side wearing away on the driver side until a trucker passed me and motioned that I had a problem. I don't remember the discount, but it was significant.

And that is exactly why I never follow a truck closely enough that I can't avoid road gators.... you don't have to worry about following cars at a distance because they can't pass over the gators, but trucks can, so I follow at a distance only.

Gary
Who is the OEM company? Guess I could look at my destroyed guard to see if it printed on there. Although I'm still not sure if I want another one. I don't agree that they add any bling to the coach. JMO.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:58 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Rock Guard vs Mud Flaps

Duraflap is the OE supplier. Just go the their website.
I think it’s what you get used to. There is no mudflap on Newells or Prevosts.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:22 AM   #14
YC1

Our RV came with both items. The mud flaps are the Hula Skirt type and the Holiday Rambler logo is along the back.

I have not decided to take it off yet but it is a pain sometimes and had to be straightened more than once.

The toad gets really dirty in any case and I'm thinking after so many reports, especially having the hula skirts already that taking it off would be the best.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote