Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rockin’ slide motor

Noticed some more noise from our kitchen slide (passenger side on 44B) so I opened the bay doors so I could see the motor in action. I was amazed at the amount of movement of the bracket holding the motor, it moved the bay ceiling (aka coach floor) back and forth. Especially when it reached the end of its travel.

I’ve Loctited the bolts and torqued them properly, it’s not the motor mount that is loose. Instead, the whole mounting bracket moves and moves the ceiling with it. Looks real scary!

Is it normal to have so much movement in the slide motor mounting bracket?
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
Noticed some more noise from our kitchen slide (passenger side on 44B) so I opened the bay doors so I could see the motor in action. I was amazed at the amount of movement of the bracket holding the motor, it moved the bay ceiling (aka coach floor) back and forth. Especially when it reached the end of its travel.

I’ve Loctited the bolts and torqued them properly, it’s not the motor mount that is loose. Instead, the whole mounting bracket moves and moves the ceiling with it. Looks real scary!

I posted on here a couple of months ago that I was considering taking the brackets off and having them reinforced. You are correct that they move a lot and that makes it impossible to keep the bolts tight.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #3

The lag bolts that attach the motor & gearbox assy to the wood ceiling of the bay is IMO a less than optimal design. Every time the motor hits the end of its ext/ret the motor break engages and creates a terrific amount of flex/pull on the lag bolts as you have pointed out.

In just over 3 years we’ve logged over 41k miles on our 16 Anthem and more than 100 cycles on the slides. Last year I rolled into our AIR with two lag bolts stripped out on my super slide mount. I asked about having a 6”x6” plate installed to mount the motor/gearbox assy to eliminate the flex that is pulling on the lag bolts. ECs solution was to reposition the mount assy and install bigger lag bolts. I’m still retightening these bolts about every 10 cycles. (I’d recommend any tightening of these bolts be done without any tension on the bracket.)

Im thinking about building a 6x6 1/4” plate with nuts welded to one side that will support the motor/gearbox assy. It would be glued and lag bolted to ceiling. I would align it so the nuts will set in the existing lag bolt holes. This should better spread the load and minimize the flex.

However, I have two concerns with this design; one is the change of shaft angles and the other is making the interface too rigid and transmitting stress to the shaft connect points.

Would be interested in what others may be considering to solve this! Anyone know if this is the same design as was used on the TS?

Mark
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thought I would try a quick video of the motor movement during slide operation. That much movement scares me, especially when you see the ceiling material moving as much as it does.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Video of slide motor
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well so much for posting videos. I’ll have to learn how to embed videos.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Meanwhile, I did send the video to my service advisor at NIRVC. He replied that that movement was normal for my year and model coach (‘15 Aspire). Since they own the extended warranty on my coach I’ll leave it at that no matter how much this offends my mechanical engineering background.

But then, I’m also aware that some mechanical assemblies require movement because making it rigid puts too much stress on the assembly. So I’ll try to appease my concern with that.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #8

I've found it's easiest to imbed videos by uploading them to youtube and embedding the link.

John
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thought I would try a quick video of the motor movement during slide operation. That much movement scares me, especially when you see the ceiling material moving as much as it does.
BTW, nice mod on the wet bay, just the photo I have been looking for. Thanks
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have the tools and stuff so if we are close I’d be happy to come over and help with yours. I’m currently north of Houston until 2/28, then Lafayette LA. For Mardi Gras until 3/8 after which we will be in North Dallas for 6 weeks.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I have the tools and stuff so if we are close I’d be happy to come over and help with yours. I’m currently north of Houston until 2/28, then Lafayette LA. For Mardi Gras until 3/8 after which we will be in North Dallas for 6 weeks.
Thanks for the offer John. We probably won't leave FL until the temps and humidity start pushing 90*. What size PEK did you use, it looks larger than 1/2 inch.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Thanks for the offer John. We probably won't leave FL until the temps and humidity start pushing 90*. What size PEK did you use, it looks larger than 1/2 inch.

I used 1/2” where dictated by available fitting size, rest 3/4” to minimize water restrictions.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #13

I haven't ever looked

They really just lag bolted the slide motors onto plywood?

Lord give me strength. How could a coach I love so much be built so [emoji90]?
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I used 1/2” where dictated by available fitting size, rest 3/4” to minimize water restrictions.
Thanks John, I thought it looked larger than 1/2 inch. Super nice job.

Tags
slide