RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Roof leak on 14 anthem

So if you were to guess, where would you say my leak was coming from after a pretty radical desert down poor with heavy winds?

Above The drivers side window the 2 breaker boxes had pretty good drips of water coming off the top of them the next morning?

Immediately did my best to dry it out... went right to amazon and ordered 2 rolls of 4 inch ether bond tape to do chucks post instructions?

Anything else?

Reseal the marker lights as others also say?

Anyone else had water in this area

Thanks
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
ugggh, water leaks..... you didn't by chance go to the roof and see if there were any low spots maybe? I know a long shot, but can't hurt. I'd check the clearance lights first for any signs of cracking and the how well are they sealing. I don't know exactly how high the breaker boxes are, but how hard would it be to remove the boxes and see if there is any wires going to the outside? Bad seal, silicon? Hope you find the source! Good luck!
DIYRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:31 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Ask Entegra. I had the exact same leak a couple of years ago and they fixed it for me. As I recall, it was coming in at a roof seam further back and running forward.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

2 x what MRUSA14 said. We had leaks in the same location with an attempt by Entegra during our PDI in March of Ď14. Go home still leaking. Entegra sent a driver to our home in Washington state to bring it back to the mothership for further repair. Driver returned the coach again to our home for a round trip of 5,156 miles. No leaks since.
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Ask Entegra. I had the exact same leak a couple of years ago and they fixed it for me. As I recall, it was coming in at a roof seam further back and running forward.
thats what I was thinking... its in the roof seem and thats where its finding its way out.
thinking I do the new sealant tape on both sides ...

probably wouldn't hurt to call entegra for a tip on known cause...

thanks
Old 04-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry to hear of the problem. Is this the first time it has leaked since new?
Have you inspected the roof yet? With the original sealant, it could have a crack a foot long. The answer may be obvious without having to call Entegra. I have a feeling there will be more than one crack in the original sealant. Check behind the awning sweeps as they hide the sealant from view.

Another place known for leaks, but that was usually when the unit was new, was behind the roof gutter rails where the roof was screwed to the sides of the coach. They had a problem in 14 using the correct screws and drilling too many holes on a few coaches. But that should have leaked long before now it it was a problem. Let us know what you find, it might help another Classic owner.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Check your cb antenna as well. I just repaired the sealant on mine. I also used eternabond tape on all my roof seams.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
thinking I do the new sealant tape on both sides ...
That is hard to do as taping the gutter will show. If the leak is there, the rubber in the track needs to be removed and the screws re-siliconed. Hopefully that is not the problem and you find an Eternabond fixable sealant split on the roof.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Sorry to hear of the problem. Is this the first time it has leaked since new?
Have you inspected the roof yet? With the original sealant, it could have a crack a foot long. The answer may be obvious without having to call Entegra. I have a feeling there will be more than one crack in the original sealant. Check behind the awning sweeps as they hide the sealant from view.

Another place known for leaks, but that was usually when the unit was new, was behind the roof gutter rails where the roof was screwed to the sides of the coach. They had a problem in 14 using the correct screws and drilling too many holes on a few coaches. But that should have leaked long before now it it was a problem. Let us know what you find, it might help another Classic owner.

Yes.. first leak detection of any kind... itís been fine since I owned it.

I am very aware of the bad screw issue these 14 entegras had..

I do not think mine has that issue... been to long as it would of showed up by now..

I have been wanting to the seem tape now since I read the post..

I have been just going thru a remodel on a sticks and bricks house e bought in December and just havenít had time...

Now is the time for sure now...
Thanks
Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Ugggh, 2014 model water leaks...

Entegra must’ve had some marginal guys working the line that year.

I used to have multiple leaks, here’s some things to check....

Most probable cause; The trim strip that runs horizontally from front to back of the coach at the top of the sidewall just at the bottom of the curved roof radius. In 14 they had some knuckleheads who would either drill mounting screws to hang the vertical walls and forget to place a screw in it, or get overzealous and break off a screw with the screw gun and then move on to the next hole without sealing it. I had both sides of the RV leak in the vicinity of the driver & pass. After numerous attempts the factory located the open holes about 15-20 ft aft of where the water actually dripped. The repair requires a tech to carefully cut the silicone along the strip, then pull the center trim plastic (carefully not to tear or stretch.) Unscrew the trim strip and examine each hole. Seal suspected ones, drill and remove broken screws, then seal back up. Reinstall. There is no easy quick fix for this. You could do this but you might want to rent a rolling scaffold. If I was attempting this I’d check with CS about their source of that trim strip and center plastic insert. If you damaged the old you’d need to cut and install new trim, then get it painted and do a final seal with silicone.

Next most likely; Check the Girard awning mounting brackets and the fake awning boxes on the driver side. Several owners reported stripped lag bolts or holes missing lags. Check sealant.

Lastly: Check the roof sealant and antenna/mounting holes.

Sorry, no quick fixes.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Ugggh, 2014 model water leaks...

Entegra mustíve had some marginal guys working the line that year.

I used to have multiple leaks, hereís some things to check....

Most probable cause; The trim strip that runs horizontally from front to back of the coach at the top of the sidewall just at the bottom of the curved roof radius. In 14 they had some knuckleheads who would either drill mounting screws to hang the vertical walls and forget to place a screw in it, or get overzealous and break off a screw with the screw gun and then move on to the next hole without sealing it. I had both sides of the RV leak in the vicinity of the driver & pass. After numerous attempts the factory located the open holes about 15-20 ft aft of where the water actually dripped. The repair requires a tech to carefully cut the silicone along the strip, then pull the center trim plastic (carefully not to tear or stretch.) Unscrew the trim strip and examine each hole. Seal suspected ones, drill and remove broken screws, then seal back up. Reinstall. There is no easy quick fix for this. You could do this but you might want to rent a rolling scaffold. If I was attempting this Iíd check with CS about their source of that trim strip and center plastic insert. If you damaged the old youíd need to cut and install new trim, then get it painted and do a final seal with silicone.

Next most likely; Check the Girard awning mounting brackets and the fake awning boxes on the driver side. Several owners reported stripped lag bolts or holes missing lags. Check sealant.

Lastly: Check the roof sealant and antenna/mounting holes.

Sorry, no quick fixes.
I had this same leak on both sides. There is a square tubing frame member that runs the length of the coach that the radius/trim is screwed to. It is closed at the rear of the coach, but open on the front. It ends right behind the circuit breaker box on the drivers side and above the door on the other side. It can leak anywhere along the length of the coach and water enters the square tubing. The only place for the water to get out is the open end in the front. Ours would not leak during a rain but would just accumulate in the tubing while parked. It usually leaked after we left camp, when I hit the brakes, the momentum would cause the water to come pouring down. I also found out I could lower the front of the coach or raise the rear and make it leak. I did not see them fix the leak at Entegra, but the tech said they removed the trim the full length on both sides and found numerous broken screws which had rusted out and some unsealed screw holes.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #12

I would absolutely never tape any seam over the caulk until you positively identify the leak source. Otherwise you will be doing like I am doing....scraping caulk and tape off the second time to really fix the problem

I have had trouble with the transverse seam where the front cap mates to the roof surface. I thought I had bulletproofed it with the tape some years ago only to have a leak and find water under the caulk all the way across the seam. The water appears at this point to have migrated from the roof bracket screws which stripped out.

The roof brackets which I mentioned in another post are an abysmal example of how not to attach something to the roof if you want it to be strong and water proof. With much failed caulk and many stripped screws those joints will always be suspect in my opinion if Entegra made the joint. With more, larger, screws and correct installation the joints seem better but no way am I going to tape them and make inspection in the future impossible. I am resigned to monthly checking the caulk and joints and scraping and re-caulking as required.

Thoroughly remove caulk around the front brackets and especially on the drivers side in your case. Chances are some, if not all, of the screws holding it to the roof are stripped and pulled out and you will find water under the caulk.

Removing the caulk, screws, bolts to the rail will allow you to remove the bracket entirely so inspect for water underneath. Nothing seals the bracket screw holes except the perimeter caulk bead and if the bracket moves at all there will e water underneath it to leak in the screw holes under the bracket.

My impression of Entegra build quality has really reached a new low as I remove brackets, scraped old caulk and repair the joints.

Hopefully the newer coaches are better but based on the design of that joint i will never trust it.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:00 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
I would absolutely never tape any seam over the caulk until you positively identify the leak source. Otherwise you will be doing like I am doing....scraping caulk and tape off the second time to really fix the problem

I have had trouble with the transverse seam where the front cap mates to the roof surface. I thought I had bulletproofed it with the tape some years ago only to have a leak and find water under the caulk all the way across the seam. The water appears at this point to have migrated from the roof bracket screws which stripped out.

The roof brackets which I mentioned in another post are an abysmal example of how not to attach something to the roof if you want it to be strong and water proof. With much failed caulk and many stripped screws those joints will always be suspect in my opinion if Entegra made the joint. With more, larger, screws and correct installation the joints seem better but no way am I going to tape them and make inspection in the future impossible. I am resigned to monthly checking the caulk and joints and scraping and re-caulking as required.

Thoroughly remove caulk around the front brackets and especially on the drivers side in your case. Chances are some, if not all, of the screws holding it to the roof are stripped and pulled out and you will find water under the caulk.

Removing the caulk, screws, bolts to the rail will allow you to remove the bracket entirely so inspect for water underneath. Nothing seals the bracket screw holes except the perimeter caulk bead and if the bracket moves at all there will e water underneath it to leak in the screw holes under the bracket.

My impression of Entegra build quality has really reached a new low as I remove brackets, scraped old caulk and repair the joints.

Hopefully the newer coaches are better but based on the design of that joint i will never trust it.
Did you get the factory fix in early 2014? At that time Entegra contacted me and many others to say that there was a problem with the screws in the roof. They sent a team around to fix them. They did it right in my driveway in Florida. I had no idea there was a problem but they did and they fixed it. If you did not have this recall performed then it may be the cause if your troubles and you should contact Entegra about it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:24 AM   #14

I think you are referencing the screws which hold the roof fiberglass to the curved transition piece. There is a row of them around the perimeter of the roof. After scraping the caulk away I find an occasional one with the head popped off due to overtorqing. Entegra will not acknowledge a problem with those screws to me and they have not done any rework of this area to my knowledge.

My comments above are about the screws that hold the large awning rail brackets to the roof which are stripped and pulled out. I find Entegra did this at the factory due to their caulk being pushed under the bracket. The bracket was obviously not flush onto the roof when they caulked. Plus, the bracket is so poorly aligned to the awning I have to use half inch shims to keep from bending the awning rail once I have the bracket seated on the roof. Sorry, "out of warranty" despite the mute evidence of the mis-assembly at the factory. I think the rail was bolted to the bracket holding the bracket off the roof before the large screws were installed. The assembler tried to pull the bracket down with the screws stripping the holes in the process.

Tags
anthem, leak, roof