Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #1

Roof Leaks

Just wondering what some of you might do in our situation. We really like our motorhome except for one major problem; a persistent leaking roof. In January 2011 we bought a new 2010 Jayco Insignia 40 CKFL class A diesel pusher. We believe it might have been on its way to be a Travel Surpreme Coach when Jayco bought them out and now go by Entegra Coach (EC). Our coach is actually labeled 'Insignia by Jayco' which creates lots of questions when we travel and is a great icebreaker. In December 2011 while traveling in the rain our roof leaked in several places. We took it to the service department at our dealership for repairs. The next rain it leaked again. Back to our service department and still leaked. On the third visit they discovered some defect with face cap radius where it meets roof. They wanted to put a new roof on but EC felt it was probably to complicated for the dealership and wanted it back at their facility for repair. EC arranged transportation from Florida to Indiana. We went up and drove it home without any problems, but didn't encounter any rain. The next rain the leaks continued. We noticed a pattern developing, the repairs would help temporarily until the coach was driven. It went back to EC a second time and the same outcome. EC sent mobile tech to our home and the repair would help until the first rain after we drove coach. Back to EC a third time and they put on a new roof. We got it back and leaking still continued. EC sent their mobile tech out to our home and more repairs were made. The tech and I were unable to make it leak using water hoses and sprinklers, so we felt pretty good about repair. A month later on a trip we got caught in a storm and leaking continued. There no rhyme or reason with leak locations sometimes in front, middle, back, right, left, light fixtures, speaker, wall outlet, skylight, vents or a/c's. To look at the roof and seals they look solid. No obvious voids or cracks. Sometimes it helps if I keep the coach drastically tilted to driver's rear. We are scheduled for another repair at Lazydays RV in Tampa, Florida at the end of the month. Anybody been there before I read mixed reviews, but we don't know where else to go. We have been diligent to keep up with our coach service and maintenance schedules, but we just can't figure out how or where water is getting through. I'm looking into having a company that does water restoration do evaluation for moisture damage. When it not raining our coach is great. We have not had any mechanical problems. Drives and handles great. My wife likes to drive it. We have the XCR Freightliner Custom Chassis, Cummins ISC 360 8.3L Turbocharged Diesel with Allison 3000 Transmission. We've been coast to coast pulling wife's 2013 Honda CRV and averaged 10 MPG. I been told that pretty good by few people. Anyways, any helpful thoughts would be appreciated. God Bless, be safe out there. GLE
GLE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #2

What response are you getting from EC? Seems they are the "GO TO" contact.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If you have had a problem since 2011, Entegra Customer Service should have it documented along the way...I'd talk to Joyce, discuss your continuing issue, and see where it goes. Their history has been to make it right, when they have a recurring problem they have had trouble fixing. Who knows? can't hurt.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Fabulous, Entegra Coach Customer Support is great. We have been working with Jacob and Joyce. They have been extremely helpful and try to be as accommodating as possible. They must be as frustrated as we are, but they never hesitate to help us. They have us set up with Lazydays RV at the end of the month. We were thinking someone may have had similar issues and wanted find out what they did to fix the problem. We are worried about what might getting damaged from all the water in the places we can't readily see or get to. We also worry about mold, especially here in Florida. We are running dehumidifier 24/7 to remove as much moisture as possible. Problem is it's raining now and forecast for rain tomorrow, so were working to keep it as dry as possible.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
You know, I don't know for sure, but there have been so many changes after 2012 when they went to a production line approach, but I think I'd try the Eternabond approach that has been discussed in this forum (search Brobox and Eternabond).
Old 11-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #6

Thanks, we have been working with Joyce and Jacob, both have been very helpful. I think that's why they're sending us to Lazydays in Tampa, FL for Enternabond?
Old 11-01-2015, 04:55 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know about that, but I think Chuck would tell you to get some Eternabond tape that matches seams/color on your coach and tape every place there is a seam. The problem with later coaches was an insufficient number and type of screws holding down the roof sides. Other leak locations have been entry points from the roof or awnings into the coach that don't have filling closing the hole (sometimes only shows up in the heaviest of precip. Some have a lot of confidence in Lazy Days, others not so much. Keep Entegra in the loop and make them brief you daily on what they have found, done, and the plan going forward would be my suggestion with them. Keep involved.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I am sorry to hear you are having the problem, I know what it is like.

I did this project on my coach before I had any leaking problems. If this is done correctly, it will eliminate any of the roof seams and seals, which is about the only place RV roofs can leak. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/star...id-244908.html

As for the Lazy Days question, they are currently over scheduled in service and are not doing the job. We schedule an appointment 2 months ago for service on our way home, Oct 20th. We sat there for 3 days and all we received for service was excuses that they were too busy, so we came home.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #9

GLE2

I can do you no good other than to commiserate. So sorry you are having so much trouble. When I start feeling that I have had the record for problems with a new coach, I am stunned to find others who have had more problems. I just got back from Middlebury after chasing down in-wall leaks. One was a "void" in the seal between the front cap and the main body up at the roof line. The second was a Girard mounting foot that had pulled loose and was admitting water between the walls. The third was a water leak around the clearance lights. All incredibly frustrating. Entegra was very good to us in finding the leaks and getting the coach right. I can only hope that the problems have now been resolved, but like you, only time and downpours will tell. I have never worked with Eternabond, but have done a lot with Dicor and was impressed with the seal produced by that product. I think that one of the things that I have a really hard time wrapping my head around is how much our motorhomes flex in normal use, sitting on jacks, bouncing down the road. Its amazing, and all the joints in the coach must have to have amazingly flexible seals. Keep your chin up, and stay at it.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #10

Thanks guys, I'll look for tape first thing tomorrow and talk to Joyce about alternative to Lazydays. Our dealership here in NW Florida, pretty much told us it's up to EC since its been back there three times. Truth be told we weren't particularly confident in our dealership anyways. Do any of you know anyone who used leak detection services? I was told they use infrared cameras and pinless probes to detect moisture in ceilings and walls. Sounded expensive. We are quite concerned about substructures being damaged and molds. On a few occasions the water leaked through the breakers in the electrical panel box over drivers seat. I read an ad in Motorhome Magazine about Flex Armor. Know anyone who used that product? We a trying to spend more time on the road and eventually want to full-time. We live about 50 miles east of Pensacola, Florida. Sure would be interested if anyone knows of a reputable place for service. Thanks again guys for your inputs.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Just as a suggestion......Etenabond is a roofing product....instead of looking for an RV dealer, how about a roofing contractor that will come to you? They would be a lot more qualified than an RV dealer and might even be able to spot the problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Have you tried the Sealtech Leak Detection System? We had it done at Lazy Days Tucson earlier this year. In our case we used it to confirm that a leak we had repaired was indeed fixed. Just a thought.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLE2 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll look for tape first thing tomorrow and talk to Joyce about alternative to Lazydays. Our dealership here in NW Florida, pretty much told us it's up to EC since its been back there three times. Truth be told we weren't particularly confident in our dealership anyways. Do any of you know anyone who used leak detection services? I was told they use infrared cameras and pinless probes to detect moisture in ceilings and walls. Sounded expensive. We are quite concerned about substructures being damaged and molds. On a few occasions the water leaked through the breakers in the electrical panel box over drivers seat. I read an ad in Motorhome Magazine about Flex Armor. Know anyone who used that product? We a trying to spend more time on the road and eventually want to full-time. We live about 50 miles east of Pensacola, Florida. Sure would be interested if anyone knows of a reputable place for service. Thanks again guys for your inputs.
I would take it to NIRVC in Atlanta instead of LD. You'll have a lot more harmonious outcome. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #14

Thanks all for the good intel, been on phone all morning looking for place to get seltech leak detection and enternabond kit. Process doesn't look too complicated, but we're still worried about what we might be sealing up on the inside. Sealtech will just find voids for water intrusion won't provide information about water causing damage to substructures like wood, fastners, electrical components, insulation and mold growth. Enternabond sounds like the fix, wish I had done that 4 years ago. While searching the web I also found a Florida based company called 'Never Leak RV Roofing' servicing all of Florida @ nvrlkrvroofing.net Site looks legitimate and facebook reviews looked positive. Couldn't find on BBB. Anybody heard anything about their services. Thanks again everyone its time to go empty the dehumidifier bucket

Tags
leak, leaks, roof