Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Route Help Eugene OR to Reno NV

We are mapping our November route from Seattle to Reno and the Good Sam Trip Planner is taking us through Eugene OR. A route warning is showing low clearance of 12'10" on the OR 58/Willamette Highway. I don't see any local roads around it, and it looks too close for comfort. The only option I can see is to continue down I5 to Mt. Shasta and over to Reno on OR 89. However, that route also crosses the mountains and we want to avoid possible weather conditions at that time of year.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any knowledge of the low clearance warning on the Willamette Highway? Thanks!
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know a surefire way to avoid weather crossing over to Reno in Nov except that as dry as it has been, you might be OK. Down I5 by Mt Shasta is beautiful as is I80 across the mountains to Reno. That said, there were several places where they have "chain up" pullovers for trucks on I80 suggesting that they do get some significant snow and ice in the passes. On alternative might be to come down through Klamath Falls, another very nice drive, but still have potential Winter potential. Good luck... pretty country to drive through.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

We live in the Rogue Valley and use CA 89 from Mt Shasta when traveling to Reno or Tahoe. It is a beautiful, lightly travelled and has a lot of two lane road. In November it would be definitely wise to watch road conditions and change routes depending on the weather. I-80 would the most heavily travelled route with the best snow control available.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
We live in the Rogue Valley and use CA 89 from Mt Shasta when traveling to Reno or Tahoe. It is a beautiful, lightly travelled and has a lot of two lane road. In November it would be definitely wise to watch road conditions and change routes depending on the weather. I-80 would the most heavily travelled route with the best snow control available.
Are you aware of the low clearance hazard of 12'11"along 89? That alone will force us to alter that route.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

I5,I84 east, follow MtHood exits, US26,US97 south. Once in Bend you have two options. Continue on 97 to Klamath Falls or 31 SE to Lakeview. 395 south to Alturus or at K Falls jog over to Alturus and follow 395 into Reno. Personally, if you have never been on it I would say 31 route is interesting country.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you! I'll enter that route into the map planner.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I don't know a surefire way to avoid weather crossing over to Reno in Nov except that as dry as it has been, you might be OK. Down I5 by Mt Shasta is beautiful as is I80 across the mountains to Reno. That said, there were several places where they have "chain up" pullovers for trucks on I80 suggesting that they do get some significant snow and ice in the passes. On alternative might be to come down through Klamath Falls, another very nice drive, but still have potential Winter potential. Good luck... pretty country to drive through.
We are gonna have 1 hellatious winter in reno this coming year I can tell have lived here 25 plus years it has been raining thunder lightning flooding in different counties big time every day now and is gonna be another week and more it only does that when we are going to get a whopper of a next winter. was outside last night and could feel it already its gonna be early too. However we can use water for alfalfa drinking etc. JMHO.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreno View Post
We are gonna have 1 hellatious winter in reno this coming year I can tell have lived here 25 plus years it has been raining thunder lightning flooding in different counties big time every day now and is gonna be another week and more it only does that when we are going to get a whopper of a next winter. was outside last night and could feel it already its gonna be early too. However we can use water for alfalfa drinking etc. JMHO.
That winter weather is what I'm worried about. Our son has a house in Tahoe City, and we know the previous winters have been uncommonly mild with hardly any snow. We're thinking that staying in Reno and driving the toad to Tahoe City is what to do. Less than an hour. It's just getting there from the Seattle area we are concerned about. Once in Reno we can wait the weather out (I hope).

That being said, we are looking at campgrounds in the Reno/Sparks area. There is one at the Grand Sierra Resort that looks good, as well as Reno RV Park, Sparks Marina, and Shamrock. Do you know anything about them?

I'm glad they are finally getting much needed water to help with the drought and fire threats. Hope not too much damage with flooding and landslides.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
Are you aware of the low clearance hazard of 12'11"along 89? That alone will force us to alter that route.
Where are you seeing this? Here is the Caltrans report on the CA 89 corridor. On page 25 I only see a couple of spots where it meets minimum standard. Minimum standard is on page 69 and it states 14'1".

You are the one who suggested CA 89 in the first place. You mistakenly referred to it as OR 89.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
.... A route warning is showing low clearance of 12'10" on the OR 58/Willamette Highway. ... The only option I can see is to continue down I5 to Mt. Shasta and over to Reno on OR 89.
You are quite right. I misspoke, and meant CA 89. However, the low clearance I'm talking about is in the OR 58 on the Willamette Hwy just north of Diamond Peak. It is the Good Sam Trip Planner that is telling me about the low clearance and I'm trying to find the best way around it. Do all states publish a report/guide similar to Caltrans? Good resource to bookmark.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Just went that way a month ago (58) .. lots of trucks.. Semis going that way every day, and me .. there is no low clearance I can remember ???
I think you are talking about the tunnel? Its narrow and the sides might be low ( they had been working on it last year forever) but I and every other Semi went through ..stay to the center line.

From the oregon transp truck restriction site
OR58 MP 56.1 EB & WB (Salt Creek Tunnel - east of Oakridge)
Effective March 30, 2015, this section of OR58 will be restricted to 8 feet 06 in. in width (LEGAL WIDTH) and 15 feet 01 in. in height. Estimated date of completion is October 15, 2015.
There are no other truck restrictions on this route, Our drivers use it every day.You have gotten Bad info , Its a Great route and very scenic
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Just went that way a month ago (58) .. lots of trucks.. Semis going that way every day, and me .. there is no low clearance I can remember ???
I think you are talking about the tunnel? Its narrow and the sides might be low ( they had been working on it last year forever) but I and every other Semi went through ..stay to the center line.

From the oregon transp truck restriction site
OR58 MP 56.1 EB & WB (Salt Creek Tunnel - east of Oakridge)
Effective March 30, 2015, this section of OR58 will be restricted to 8 feet 06 in. in width (LEGAL WIDTH) and 15 feet 01 in. in height. Estimated date of completion is October 15, 2015.
Thank you! Just what I was looking for!