Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Routing question - Spearfish, SD to Cody, WY

Question on a routing….we are going to be driving from Elkhorn Ridge in Spearfish, SD to the Cody KOA in Cody, WY. One of our RV navigation softwares is taking us I-90 to 16 (through Ten Sleep) to 14 to Cody. The other is I-90 to 14 to Cody. There is minimal difference in mileage and both routes look to be pretty mountainous. Any recommendations from those of you who have driven the route?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #2

Hwy 16 Buffalo to Ten Sleep is Better the Hwy 14
Less curves/grades and those on 16 are not that bad

IF MTN Driving is not your thing
Then Hwy 212 North to I-90 into Billings
Then West off Billings at Laurel go south 310/72/120 on into Cody
**adds roughly 30 minutes/40 miles
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #3

i am currently in belle fourche. we came from yellowstone to gillette thru the big horns. south end. ten sleep to gillette. just check your coolant level and brake function before crossing. road crews were extracting a truck that had gone into the run off ramp on the eastern side they had a mandatory brake check stop at top of mountain.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Question on a routing….we are going to be driving from Elkhorn Ridge in Spearfish, SD to the Cody KOA in Cody, WY. One of our RV navigation softwares is taking us I-90 to 16 (through Ten Sleep) to 14 to Cody. The other is I-90 to 14 to Cody. There is minimal difference in mileage and both routes look to be pretty mountainous. Any recommendations from those of you who have driven the route?

Highway 14 from 90 is a no no, I avoid it. If you do not want to take 16 through the mountains. You can continue on 90 and cross over.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

IF MTN Driving is not your thing
Then Hwy 212 North to I-90 into Billings
Then West off Billings at Laurel go south 310/72/120 on into Cody
**adds roughly 30 minutes/40 miles
I like this route, seems safer
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I like this route, seems safer

It is a milder ride and is about 45 minutes or so longer. I have made the trip from the east coast many times and hope to get back next September. Route 16 is a very Scenic Drive, there are a steep grades, numerous pull offs are available. Just take your time and remember that this time of year the early bikers are starting to roll in Sturgis is the first full week of August. Use your Jake brake and do not ride your brakes. Remember when climbing that when you get to the top you have to come down and start that very slowly. The museum in Cody is great and the Rodeo is the only one in the Country where professionals can show up on any given night. Using your toad a trip over Chief Joseph's Highway and over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge is worth it. Have a great time
Old 07-22-2021, 05:26 AM   #7

Go thru Ten Sleep

I agree, we took this route last summer with our 2016 Anthem pulling a 2019 Jeep Wrangler with no problems.

Enjoy the ride...
Old 07-22-2021, 06:26 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi,

I'm a Wyoming native and I've driven US16 many many times in a gas motorhome towing a car. I have family on both sides of the Big Horn mountains. Because US14 from Sheridan has so many more curves your time taking US14 will be much greater than taking US16.

Your diesel powered MH with whatever engine brake it has will find US16 a breeze. Uphill won't be a problem, downhill, keep your speeds low using your engine brake and minimizing use of the friction brakes.

By the way, 332 miles doesn't sound like much. However because of the mountain driving it will be a long day. Keep that in mind.

Click on MAP. I would go this way from Worland. It has fewer little towns to get in the way.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:44 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We ended up taking 16 to 14 to Cody. What a beautiful drive. No problem with getting up and down the mountain. Thanks for the help.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote